It never ends . . .

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Don't get me wrong . . .

We love our 2013 Heartland Travel Trailer . . .

We bought it 1 1/2 years ago, and it never ceases to amaze us that each time we take it out, we find some stupid little thing that shouldn't be going wrong with it . . . going wrong!

I've complained here before ever since I bought it in September of 2011 that EVERY single time someone uses the toilet . . . one of the pins that holds the toilet seat falls out!

OK . . . no big deal . . . every time someone uses the toilet . . . I need to check the seat to make sure that the pin is still there (really? . . . is this a regular problem with Heartland trailers from the factory?)?????????????????????????????

Fast forward to today . . . apparently that pin has finally fallen into the toilet and is now gone forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**** Heartland . . . REALLY . . . do you let stupid stuff like this pass through quality control each and every day?????

Really?????

If you do . . . wake up!

I can't believe that I'm dealing with such a stupid little problem on an RV I purchased brand spankin' new . . .

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
3 1/2 years with a Heartland 22fbs and 1 year of Heartland Bighorn 3570rs and never a toilet problem.
There will be stuff to deal with, goes with the territory.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Toilet seats can be purchased at home stores for $20-30. At some point that is much easier than having stress related health issues over the small problems life throws at you. Trace

jimtoo

That's the first mod I made... got rid of that plastic thing and got a nice wooden seat and cover. Looks like home,,, feels like home.. :)

Jim.Allison

I cannot get my black water tank to flush with the built in flush mechanism. I think it worked one time since I owned it. Today I tried to use it paying real close attention to the instructions so that I might discover the secret. No it just does not work. Soooooooo I google the problem which takes me to a heartland PDF (may be associated with the HOF) and guess what I find, yup the factory has a habit of installing the check valve backwards. Ad this to the list of things that I will repair because it takes a dealer 3 weeks to make such a repair and it takes me $20 to haul it over there and $20 to haul it back and I'm not really sure that some high school dropout turned RV mechanic is not going to screw up more than he fixes. So yea small things are aggravating. But my commode seat and lit work fine. I feel your pain brother.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I cannot get my black water tank to flush with the built in flush mechanism. I think it worked one time since I owned it. Today I tried to use it paying real close attention to the instructions so that I might discover the secret. No it just does not work. Soooooooo I google the problem which takes me to a heartland PDF (may be associated with the HOF) and guess what I find, yup the factory has a habit of installing the check valve backwards. Ad this to the list of things that I will repair because it takes a dealer 3 weeks to make such a repair and it takes me $20 to haul it over there and $20 to haul it back and I'm not really sure that some high school dropout turned RV mechanic is not going to screw up more than he fixes. So yea small things are aggravating. But my commode seat and lit work fine. I feel your pain brother.
Jim,
This is the first I've heard about this check valve reversal. I invested in a good pex tool and a bag of crimp rings. They have come in handy. If your check valve is actually reversed, with the pex tool it should be a fairly easy fix. Also check to see if the line is kinked behind the UDC. Trace

Last edited:

JanAndBill

That's the first mod I made... got rid of that plastic thing and got a nice wooden seat and cover. Looks like home,,, feels like home.. :)

We've tried two different seats on ours and can't find one that fits. They are all to narrow at the back such that they don't rest on the bowl in the back. What are you using?

danemayer

ever since I bought it in September of 2011 that EVERY single time someone uses the toilet . . . one of the pins that holds the toilet seat falls out!

OK . . . no big deal . . . every time someone uses the toilet . . . I need to check the seat to make sure that the pin is still there
John,

I guess the bright side of this is that after it's fixed, you won't have to check the toilet after every use.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

X2. Took a couple measurements (width, length, diagonally) and went to Lowes. Bought a nice white seat and lid for $20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Toilet seats can be purchased at home stores for $20-30. At some point that is much easier than having stress related health issues over the small problems life throws at you. Trace

Yeah . . . I know . . .

I've tried to find a seat that fits . . . but none do.

And Camping World seams to only sell RV toilets . . . and not the seat lid.

At least I've not been able to find them in the stores.

olcoon

Issues can be frustrating, but one thing to think about...Heartland only installed the toilet, more than likely it was made by Dometic, ant they are the ones at fault.

porthole

Retired
In a year and a half of the pin falling out, I guess it was only a matter of time before it fell in..........

John - your trailer came with a bag of books and one of them is most likely the toilet manual, with a breakdown of parts. Call the manufacturer. I have had good luck dealing with Dometic directly in the past.

What is this flush valve that is frequently installed reversed?

Is it the tank rinse?
The vacuum break valve?

First I've heard the factory has a habit of installing them incorrectly, guess i need to check mine.

jbeletti

The seat with the pins is likely a Thetford. My sense is they can take care of this for you.

My seat pins slide out a small amount, but nothing like yours.

campers2

I don't have a Heartland, but have the same Thetford model. I ended up keeping a large flat blade screwdriver in the bath for pushing the pin in and retightening the seat bolt.
IMO the toilet is fine, the seat is at fault and not replaceable with a std. Size seat.

Last edited:

jbeletti

I don't have a Heartland, but have the same Thetford model. I ended up keeping a large flat blade screwdriver in the bath for pushing the pin in and retightening the seat bolt.
IMO the toilet is fine, the seat is at fault and not replaceable with a std. Size seat.

A Thetford rep once told me their seats are in fact replaceable with standard toilet seats. I've never swapped mine out so I can't speak from experience.

oldmannj

Quite frankly if after a year and a half all I had to complain about in my RV was a faulty toilet seat I'd be thanking my lucky stars!!!! Here's a concept: replace the seat and get over it. ED. :angel: