PDA

View Full Version : Thousand Trails/Leisure Time

Draco Dog
02-06-2008, 01:38 AM
My parents joined Thousand Trails in the 70's. At that time, I believe that their only campground was in Chehalis, Washington.

My husband and I purchased their contract and have never regretted it. Because I am not retired yet, we haven't had the chance to take full advantage of this membership. Hopefully that will all change the 1st part of 2009.

We will also probably want to join other campground memberships.

Any suggestions on which ones are the best value for the money?

ziggy
04-18-2008, 09:33 PM
We "won" a camping trip from 1000 Trails when we entered a contest at Camping World last month. Of course they would like us to go to their "orientation" while we are there. The parks we looked at online look pretty nice and there are several near areas we like to go. Draco Dog has had a good experience, what about others? How much does the membership run? Are there any catches to the membership? Hidden fees? In other words, is this going to be like a timeshare kind of deal?

Kristy

Draco Dog
04-19-2008, 01:42 AM
Ziggy; we seem to have some things in common. We have the same trailer and we also have an 07 Duramax. We live in northern Oregon. Re: 1000 trails. A lot has changed since we 1st joined. I know there are different memberships that you can purchase. I have found Thousand Trail personnel to be very helpful. Ofcourse they would like for you to join, but I have never heard of high-pressure being used. The different memberships have varied costs. There are no catches to the memberships. I have always found them to be honest. Not like some organizations, where you purchase their membership and then later on find out what is really expected of you. There are no hidden fees and "no", this is nothing like a timeshare. I suggest that you at least listen to what they have to say. You may not want to make a decision right then. Think it over and then get back to them. We are very lucky where we live because there are many locations that we can go to that are only 1-3 hours away from our home. Our favorite is Pacific City. We always try to go there whenever I have a 3 or 4 day weekend. The park is less than a mile from the ocean. Each park has lots of things to do; swimming, hot tub, tennis, etc. So you can do as little or as much as you want. Each campground has weekly meetings with the manager of the location and any of the members that want to attend. I find these meetings to be very informative. OH-----I am not a member of their sales department, I just truely enjoy camping @ Thousand Trails and also Leisure Time.

Clark
04-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Ziggy, we joined TTN back in 2002 here in Pennsylvania. We paid about $5 K for the membership at that time and pay about $450/year dues. We have gone to a number of their Preserves in the PA, VA area and have always enjoyed the facilities and staff. We took a trip to the west coast in 2007 and took advantage of the TTN and RPI resorts as often as we could. The Preserves up in the Washington and Oregon region were just outstanding, particularly Pacific City and South Jetty in Oregon and Chehalis in Washington. I believe that the general rule is two weeks in the park and one week out, but check with the sales personnel to make sure. We upgraded to the Outdoor World package last Fall to take advantage of their many resorts around the East coast. Like all salespeople you have to ask questions and make sure that you know what you are buying, but they are generally reasonable. Good luck.
Clark&Carolyn

ziggy
04-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks.
Sounds like we should at least go listen to them. We decided to spend our free trip at Whalers Rest just outside Newport at the end of July. We are about 4 years from being able to retire, so our use would be limited until then to the parks within easy travel distance from Southern Oregon. But there seem to be quite a few of those.

Draco, where you buy your trailer? We got ours in Medford. We looked in Bend, but didn't like the dealership. Medford is closer to us anyway since we are in Klamath Falls.
Kristy

buckeyebob
04-23-2008, 09:32 PM
i am a coast to coast "classic" member,i bought it from a person that sells memberships for people who are wanting out of membership.i was skeptical at first ,but the memberships new cost 3-5 thousand i paid 595.00.that included i year ctoc dues,79.00,i year maintainance fee 220.00 for my home park in south carolina.we have gotten our money back twice over in 2 years.the advantage of buying out of state is you can camp at all the resorts everywhere else.if its in your own stste you cant stay at any other c to c resort whithin a 200 mile circle!!!2 weeks a year at each resort,but they can waive tyhat rule if they want to,and they often do.cost is 10 bucks a niteif you have any interest i will look the name and phone #of sales guy.there are 7 in oregon . bob

ziggy
04-26-2008, 05:13 PM
I wondered about the levels of membership and if there was a home park kind of thing. We'll have to listen to what they have to say and think about it to see if it will work out for us.
Kristy

sailorand
04-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Ziggy
Yes there are home parks with 1000 Trails. Not to worry about them though. Trails works for us, but is not for everyone. Yes the parks amenties are dated, But we RV for under $12 per night.
We bought our membership used, but there are lots of different memberships offered over the years and All are not equal. We have an Alliance membership that has 1000 trails, Naco and Leisuretime. That gives us the best usage for us. Need more info email me.
Rand

ziggy
04-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Rand,
As I look through their site, it seems I like the locations of Naco parks better. Which parks have you used and how do they compare? We don't really use a lot of the amenities in the parks we've been in so far, but we like them to be clean, quiet, and friendly. We like to have lots of places to go near the park and have it be easy to get in and out of with our big 5th wheel. We can't camp more than long weekends and summer vacations right now, but we want good places to spend time in the summers for now and for the winters in a few years when we retire.
Kristy

Draco Dog
04-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Ziggy, we bought our Big Horn from Curtis Trailers in Portland. The sales and service personnel are wonderful to work with and very knowledgeable. We have had several trailers in the past, but the Big Horn outshines them all by far.

We plan on selling our home and living in the Big Horn. Hopefully our health will last for a few years so we can take advantage of visiting more of this beautiful country that we live in.

We only have 1,000 trails and Leisure Time at the present. But since I will be retiring within the next year, we will want to add more. Probably Naco.

With the price of diesel, guess we will visit daughter in Tucson; wait till we have enough money for diesel to get us to son, who lives in Indianapolis. (geez. can I babysit enough to pay for the diesel bill??? tee hee.)

sailorand
04-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Ziggy
!trails parks are more preserves usually with lots of land around, Naco are parklike, some times with units closer and Leisure time more like resorts. Having said that, they all have amenities that different people like or dislike. Do take part in their activities as more people are now living in their homes on wheels and not partaking in the activities and they are really missing out on a great part of RV'ing. Getting out and meeting the people around the areas is great fun and you never know, you might fine out some very interesting places to see.
Rand

ziggy
04-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Ziggy, we bought our Big Horn from Curtis Trailers in Portland. The sales and service personnel are wonderful to work with and very knowledgeable. We have had several trailers in the past, but the Big Horn outshines them all by far.

We plan on selling our home and living in the Big Horn. Hopefully our health will last for a few years so we can take advantage of visiting more of this beautiful country that we live in.

We only have 1,000 trails and Leisure Time at the present. But since I will be retiring within the next year, we will want to add more. Probably Naco.

With the price of diesel, guess we will visit daughter in Tucson; wait till we have enough money for diesel to get us to son, who lives in Indianapolis. (geez. can I babysit enough to pay for the diesel bill??? tee hee.)
Draco,
I think that would work out to about a gallon an hour for babysitting, less if its for family since they never pay anyway. :D

Rand
Thanks for the info. I've been looking online to see what "used" memberships cost. There is a very wide price range depending on what they cover, where they are, and how desperate the seller is. We'll just have to see the sales people have to say when we get there.:)
Kristy

mrcomer
04-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Hi Ziggy,
Linda and I have a Thousand Trails membership and it came with RPI also. After one year we upgraded to a Platinum membership and have been very happy. As for what we have in the memberships, it was about 6k total. Although that sounds like a lot of money it has been worth it. We camp every weekend and usually at the Thousand Trails campground. So what I do is figure $28 per night and have been keeping track. The $28 came from their website years ago as what the "free" weekend would have costs per night. So as it stands now, we have already paid for our membership in camping and have started to go the other direction, in otherwords I am making out on the camping. When I justified my numbers I included the initial cost of the membership, the cost of the upgrade and the cost of the yearly dues of which I offset by the number of nights camped and as of today I am actually +$162.00 So it is like they are paying me to camp. I know it may sound a little weird but it works fo me. Believe me, after spending that kind of money, I am going to get all I can out of it. So far so good.

Later,
Mark

Draco Dog
05-13-2008, 12:23 AM
Well, we finally did it. We have been Thousand Trail members for many years. Then a few years back we added Leisure Time. This past weekend we added Naco to our membership. We paid $3500 for adding Naco. We had to make real sure that our original fees would not change. We have a very low yearly fee and sure wouldn't want that to change. The biggest attraction was being able to camp at any of the locations for a maximum of 21 days and then go to another campground. We do not have to have 7 days "out of the system", as we did b4. We also have ROD---Resorts of Distinction. ROD will cost $99 per year and will also be included in the 21 days camp to camp to camp. No, "out of system" days.

We also have free for one year RPI. Just wondering about this one. Is there more than one RPI? It sounds like some have a 125 mile radius restriction, and some don't. And also other restrictions. I haven't read much about it. Any comments about RPI. Sounds like there is an $8 per night charge to camp???

sailorand
05-13-2008, 08:37 AM
RPI is ownered by 1000 Trails organization and ROD is owned by Western Horizons. Both offer about the same type of parks although Western Horizons opted out of RPI a couple of years ago.
There is are some 1000 Trails forum on Yahoo groups.
We have not upgraded to platinum as we don't figure it is worth it to us.
Rand

Cooper
05-20-2008, 07:36 AM
I visited some friends at a Thousand Trails last weekend just North East of Denton Texas. They where doing the 3 day tour with their new RV.

This is just one guys view.
I edited my message it was long and might upset some Rvers.
Lets just say the place was very run down.
My friends went to the sales pitch and they were asking around $18000.00 to join at first.
I hope there are better ones around because I would not stay in a RV park that run down.

1duffer101
05-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Shop the used market. There is normally a transfer fee but you can get discount on membership and get a lower yearly fee.

Draco Dog
05-24-2008, 01:22 AM
Cooper, wow, I have never seen a Thousand Trails campground that was as you describe. But then we have only been to the ones in Oregon, Canada and Washington. They have all been clean and well-kept. In fact, the oldest Thousand Trails location is in Chehalis, WA. This is only an hour's drive from where we live. The campground is always inviting. They have all their facilities still available and in working order. Chehalis is a large park with over 300 sites. I am sad to hear that they are not all like what I am use to.

And $18,000 sounds really steep for a beginning asking price. Even if that includes everything, that sounds high.

I usually recommend doing what we did. We have joined a little at a time. We have a really good contract (one of the originals) with just Thousand Trails. Then we added Leisure Time and just recently added more. This was because we will be retiring towards the end of this year (hopefully) and will have need for more rv parks across the country while travelling.

Clark
05-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Cooper, I have to agree with Draco Dog on the overall quality of TT Preserves. We have been to preserves in Pennsylvania, Virginia, Tennessee, Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington and have been favorably impressed with all of them. We paid about $5,000 for our national TTN membership with $450 / year in 2001. We recently added the Outdoor World here in the mid-Atlantic area (17 of them) for another $4,000 and $65 / year, so that $18,000 seems very steep to me also. You make your decisions based on where you camp, the facilities, and the economics of the purchase. We are retired, still in our stick house, and enjoy our frequent trips for "free", especially given the prices of campground fees here in the mid-Atlantic/Northeast region. Good luck on your decision either way.
Clark

WoodFamily
07-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi Ziggy,
Linda and I have a Thousand Trails membership and it came with RPI also. After one year we upgraded to a Platinum membership and have been very happy. As for what we have in the memberships, it was about 6k total. Although that sounds like a lot of money it has been worth it. We camp every weekend and usually at the Thousand Trails campground. So what I do is figure $28 per night and have been keeping track. The $28 came from their website years ago as what the "free" weekend would have costs per night. So as it stands now, we have already paid for our membership in camping and have started to go the other direction, in otherwords I am making out on the camping. When I justified my numbers I included the initial cost of the membership, the cost of the upgrade and the cost of the yearly dues of which I offset by the number of nights camped and as of today I am actually +$162.00 So it is like they are paying me to camp. I know it may sound a little weird but it works fo me. Believe me, after spending that kind of money, I am going to get all I can out of it. So far so good.

Later,
Mark
Hi, Mark -- My wife and I are planning to go full-time in a couple years, but we're doing a lot of the legwork and planning right now. We love the Augusta, by the way...that's a beautiful rig:).

Anyway, I'm intrigued by the idea of joining a club (as you have) and paying less in the long run for sites. With the Thousand Trails club you belong to, do you pay a fee in addition to your membership when you stay at club parks?

Thank you for sharing your story.

Onward and Upward!

Guy

Larryheadhunter
07-19-2008, 05:28 AM
wow guys look at this before you buy anything. 1000 trails is in rough times as resellers/and previous owners are selling it dirt cheap plus a $750 transfer fee.

Read highway magazines campground memberships for sale as I did and got a great deal for just under a $1000 total first year, for RPI preferred and coast to coast deluxe (Camper World 4 parks SBR 2 parks
Colorado River 7 parks Sunbelt 2 parks
Leisure Time 7 parks Halo Resorts 2 parks
Naco 17 parks Quality Resorts 1 resort
Travel America 10 parks Resort Campgrounds
Sunrise 12 parks International 2 parks
K/M Resorts of America 6 parks Elite Resorts 1 park
American Campground 1 park
Great American Resorts 1 park ARA 1 park
SRV-Conestoga Campground 1 park Pride Resorts 1 park
Advanced Resorts of America 2 parks Holiday Trails 1 park

Go online to www.resortparks.com (http://www.resortparks.com/) click on the visitor’s section then on the resort guide and then the state you want to see. That will show you all the resorts)

RPI Preferred includes: RPI
RPI Preferred
Enjoy America
50% discount on resort rental when staying 7 nights or more
90 day reservation
14 days in 7 out 2 times a year in peak season, unlimited in off season
no 125 mile rule
4 Family passes each year, good for up to 7 nights each
The Coast to Coast Classic is 7 days in 30 days out of the same resort 2 times a year. You may go from one resort to another
The Coast to Coast Deluxe is 14 in 7 out 2 times during the peak season at each resort and unlimited in the off season and no 125 mile rule.

The $328 membership is Coast to Coast Classic and RPI regular and Happy Camper. After you are a member she can upgrade you for $495 + tax for one of them or $650 + tax for both of them. Or you can get CC Deluxe & RPI Preferred only for $1098 + tax now. If you join rpi and coast to coast the way I told you it is just under a $1000

Call Angie at Shiloh Resorts in Monroe, Louisiana and the yearly dues for shiloh if u do it this way is $99, plus Coast to Coast Deluxe is about $128 and RPI preferred is $106. Happy Camper is $40, and Enjoy America is part of eithere RPI or CC. She has these resells all the time and u never have to go to the membership campground.

SHILOH/SHILOH’S LAKE BRUIN RESORTS

7300 FRONTAGE ROAD

MONROE, LA 71202

318-343-8672

THE FOLLOWING IS A BREAKDOWN OF YOUR CHARGES:
Membership Fee $ 198.00
S&H $ 10.00
Shiloh Dues $ included then $99.00 frozen + tax due 07-01-09
Coast to Coast included
RPI 120.00 may upgrade to RPI Preferred for $495 + tax
Happy Camper included
Tax 24.26
Total $328 plus the upgrade of $650 for RPI preferred and Coast to Coast Deluxe instead of buying RPI preferred and CC separately. You have to tell her you want the Highway magazine promotion.

What is really sweet is that they pay for all the first year dues.

Please tell Angie that Larry Kuhn referred you so I can get some credit.

When you call Shiloh ask for Angie Blair's cell number.

If you have any questions pm me with your phone number and I will explain in more detail. You can't get a better deal than this. I know as I spoke with several resellers and they couldnt match this deal. It's 10 bucks a night for most of all these campgrounds. I am now in Wyoming and over the last 8 days have saved over $300

ziggy
07-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks Larry.

We were supposed to be going to check out a 1000 Trails park next weekend, but by my doctor has other plans for me (well my spine anyway, the rest of me just has to go along for the ride:() so we had to cancel. I was looking forward to letting them pay for 4 days in the park and $75 worth of fuel!!!

We'll just have to keep researching and decide what we want to do a little later than we expected.

Kristy

jmgratz
08-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Though I would join in this discussion. We just joined TT national with OW, NACO, RPI, EA. When putting a pencil to it the cost of this will pay for itself in about 2 years. Someone asked the question about whether you pay for your RV site at TT parks. My program allows me to camp for free in TT, NACO, OW parks. I pay $10 for RPI parks and EA is 50% off. We plan on using TT NACO and OW alot. Our contract allows for 14 days consective and then out 7. Also the 14 days only apply if you stay more than 4 days. So you could go from park to park as long as you don't stay more than 4 consecutive nights. Hope this helps. Also they have alot of different pricing programs and levels of entry so you can play "let's make a deal" with the salesman.

Larryheadhunter
08-15-2008, 03:13 AM
bet u paid more than the thousand bucks i paid for RPI preferred, Coast to Coast Deluxe, Happy Camper, Enjoy America, Naco, leisure time etc. Fyi, most of the 1000 trails are in these campgrounds. check my earlier post. the most important point is that the home park means nothing, its the access u get to the multitude of campgrounds in the system. Our one month trip saved us almost a thousand dollars which happened to pay for the whole first year. the yearly dues on thousand trails is usually around $400 which covers all my yearly dues for all the various memberships. Our Shiloh is only 99 bucks a yr.

jmgratz
08-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Yes I probably did but like I tell the kids I am spending their inheritance (haha). It just that when I was born I had this mark on my forhead that says sucker and all of the salesmen take advantage of it.

Larryheadhunter
08-18-2008, 03:07 AM
hey jim i didnt mean to come accros disrespectful, rather informative so others will examine all possibilities before buying. none of them are perfect, but the transfer fee of $750 put 1000 trails out of my pay grade.

jmgratz
08-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Well I guess we are just joiners. We are members of Escapees, Camp Club USA, KOA, Passport America, Western Horizons, AOR, Thousand Trails, Coast to Coast, RPI, ROD, TACO, Good Sam, and probably something I have forgotton. The whole idea behind all of this is to save money on camping. With campground fees approaching $50 a night it is almost to a point of staying at Motel 6 is cheaper. And some of the RV parks I have seen are not worth 50 cents. Sometimes I think the boondockers have the right idea except now the price of gasoline makes running the generator cost as much as staying in a campground. Maybe I can install a wind-turbin on top of the RV and power it that way. Can't wait for the day when technology can beam us to the next campground.

morganm12
08-27-2008, 01:50 PM
This thread interests me because Ruth and I have been long time members of 1000 Trails. In reading the various post I'm intrigued at the different concepts about what TT is. We joined in the spring of 1981 and have not regretted it for one minute. Our membership in TT is how we can afford to fulltime. Our membership dues this year was $423. We can go park to park for up to a 14 day stay at each park. We just left the preserve that I think Cooper was speaking of and found it to be fairly well maintained. Yes, the roads and RV sites needed attention (a road crew had patched several holes since our last visit). The facilities, bath houses, family center, adult lodge etc. are clean. The $18,000 price for a membership made me curious so I checked. The salesman, Sam Cherry, told me that the initial quote was actually $18,995, but with a little dickering it could drop to about $12,000 for a full membership. Sam was very forth coming with the information we asked for. The "full membership" includes several things we would never use i.e. cabin rentals. If you take a tour and don't buy that day the $12,000 offer is off the table and TT will not allow you to buy a used TT membership of any kind for 2 Yrs. Thousand Trails has never sold themselves as a resort, they are preserves. By definition they have attempted to keep their properties as close as possible to their natural state and still provide an enjoyable camping experience. If one is looking for cement slabs to park on and manicured grass between sites then TT probably isn't for you. If your looking for a secure friendly place to spend time in your RV then the welcome mat is out. Just like Heartland RVs you get value for your money with Thousand Trails.

mrcomer
08-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Well put morganm12.

Linda and I have been members for about 5 years now. We use our membership almost every weekend during the spring-summer and fall. Even with (2) kids we make sure to get down to the campground every chance we get. I bring this up because even though we are not fulltiming we have more than gotten our monies worth out of our membership. I actually keep track of my membership costs and dues and track that against what it would normally have cost per night to camp there and as of late last year we are money ahead. With our membership paid off and my spreadsheet showing me that they are paying me to camp, it turned out to be a very good investment for us and when we are able to travel more extensively then we will be better off.

Mark

morganm12
08-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Hello Mark,
Thanks for the kudos. We met once in the summer of 06 at TTs Wilmington preserve. Glad to see you've upgraded to a Landmark. We talked in front of the activities center and you had friends there on a tour. It took me a senior moment to remember who you are. I see you didn't upgrade the tow truck yet.

Draco Dog
08-28-2008, 12:40 AM
We purchased one of the original 1,000 trail memberships, when they only had one location in Chehalis, WA. We have 1,000 trails, Leisure Time and Naco. We are so very fortunate because our yearly dues are only $60 per year. I hope to retire by the end of this year (if we sell our house), so we can become full-timers and take advantage of our memberships. We also purchased ROD (Resorts of Distinction). I am having a heck of a time getting information from them. It took over 6 months to get a membership card and their book. I asked for a copy of the contract with them, and they said I had to get it from our home park. Our home park is Pacific City. We plan on being there in about 3 weeks. Hopefully we will get some satisfaction at Pacific City. We were told that our membership information was included in the book that they sent. And there is info there, but I know that they offer different memberships. When we purchased ours, a month later we sent in another small amount of money to up-grade. I just want a copy of our contract so I know exactly what our rights and obligations are. This seems to be such a hard thing to get. I don't understand the problem. It makes me wonder about renewing again next year. Has anyone else had this problem with ROD? and if you have, what did you do?

Larryheadhunter
08-28-2008, 04:31 AM
Hate to disillusion u guys, but right now google Thousand Trails resells and u can buy one for $1,000 bucks and a $750 tranfer fee. Also there are many 1000 trails campgrounds in Coast to Coast and RPI preferred that has NACO, Leisure Time, and just added a bunch of Western Horizon resorts, as well as Enjoy America, and Happy Camper, Colorado Adventures and many others. I am not saying u made a mistake and i hope u enjoy all your campgrounds, I am just offering u a different, less expensive membership alternative. Check my earlier email on this thread to see how u can buy RPI preferred, Coast to Coast Deluxe, several others for less than a grand.

jmgratz
05-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Just wanted to share the neat experience we just had at Medina Lake Preserve (TT). There are deer wandering around everywhere there and at one time had 19 in our campsight. They will even eat right out of your hand. I have attached a photo of my DW feeding them. Medina Lake is about 35 miles west of San Antonio, Texas.

meandg
10-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Just wanted to share the neat experience we just had at Medina Lake Preserve (TT). There are deer wandering around everywhere there and at one time had 19 in our campsight. They will even eat right out of your hand. I have attached a photo of my DW feeding them. Medina Lake is about 35 miles west of San Antonio, Texas.

Medina Lake has been our favorite. One day we will make it to some of the other parks that everyone raves about.

robnmo
12-13-2009, 08:19 PM
This thread interests me because Ruth and I have been long time members of 1000 Trails. In reading the various post I'm intrigued at the different concepts about what TT is. We joined in the spring of 1981 and have not regretted it for one minute. Our membership in TT is how we can afford to fulltime. Our membership dues this year was $423. We can go park to park for up to a 14 day stay at each park. We just left the preserve that I think Cooper was speaking of and found it to be fairly well maintained. Yes, the roads and RV sites needed attention (a road crew had patched several holes since our last visit). The facilities, bath houses, family center, adult lodge etc. are clean. The $18,000 price for a membership made me curious so I checked. The salesman, Sam Cherry, told me that the initial quote was actually $18,995, but with a little dickering it could drop to about $12,000 for a full membership. Sam was very forth coming with the information we asked for. The "full membership" includes several things we would never use i.e. cabin rentals. If you take a tour and don't buy that day the $12,000 offer is off the table and TT will not allow you to buy a used TT membership of any kind for 2 Yrs. Thousand Trails has never sold themselves as a resort, they are preserves. By definition they have attempted to keep their properties as close as possible to their natural state and still provide an enjoyable camping experience. If one is looking for cement slabs to park on and manicured grass between sites then TT probably isn't for you. If your looking for a secure friendly place to spend time in your RV then the welcome mat is out. Just like Heartland RVs you get value for your money with Thousand Trails.

Agree completely, we just attended a meeting with TT, (we've been members for a few years) they've been taken over and completely revamped their program. What was once offered is no longer available, it's more of a time share w/ camping at TT preserves tossed in, pretty much a $14,999.00 price tag. It was also a pitch to "upgrade" to include condos..........we don't want condos that's why we bought into TT preserves.......camp not condo it, when we declined the offer he met us at the door as we left and the comment was "you bought in at the right time, because what you have is GONE......congrats to you both". Also something to keep in mind is in this current economy wonder what State campground, etc pricing is going to do? (bet I know) In alot of states a AAA or AA site you can expect to pay $40.00 per night (more on holidays). Then there's the people using the facilities in general, TT and many of the private campgrounds is nothing like Public campgrounds, completely different people. Kids don't pay a few thousand to "join" to go camping on a weekend, I've spent over 30 yrs dealing with public campgrounds and "first come first serve" and reservation systems. That membership we paid (or bought into) is more than worth it in just the different atmosphere and mindset of the people using them. TT isn't for everyone, but can be a perfect fit for some. Just a personal preference to each individual.

Draco Dog
12-14-2009, 01:36 AM
We have never regretted purchasing our Thousand Trails membership. We have one of the original memberships. Bought it from my parents. We can sell it one more time, then it goes back to the company. We were never able to use it much until we were both retired this past March. Now we are living full-time in our 2010 Big Horn and loving it. We sold our home and are "on the road again". And for us also, we would never be able to afford this style of living if it weren't for TT.

We have only camped in the areas of Washington and Oregon and have always found them clean and well-kept.

The Thousand Trails are preserves, in that they have more of a woodsy feel to them. More trees, bigger sites available, etc. Where as Leisure time, etc., are resorts. These feel more like camping out in the open and close to the next site.

We love the campgrounds in the pacific northwest. Particularly, Pacific City, Chehalis, Bend and ofcourse can't forget Seaside. The campground is just ordinary, although it's kept up nice, but the big draw to Seaside camping, is the town of Seaside, OR; lots of touristy shops. (and can't forget the ocean). We also love Leavenworth, WA. If you haven't been there, you should some day. This town is a shopper's delight. Go to www.leavenworth.com (http://www.leavenworth.com), it will show you what the town is like and will also give you ideas of what time of the year to go. They have many activities thru-out the year. I have never been there @ Christmas time, but I understand that it is magical.

There have been times when we have had to give up and camp in a regular park. State Park, Good Sam, etc. I hate paying between $30 and $40 for one night.

And hubby won't stay overnight @ Wally World. Has anyone else??? What experience have you had?

We purchased an addition to our membership a couple of years ago. We are now able to go from camp to camp to camp. With no out-time. We can stay up to 3 weeks and then go to another membership campground. We don't have to be "out of the system" for 7 days before going back to one of the membership campgrounds. We love this feature.

The only problem I have with moving every 3 weeks, is having to pack up things inside the trailer so they will be safe. It is becoming a hassle. I keep thinking there must be a better way. We are new to being a full-timer, so maybe there is something obvious in getting the trailer ready for traveling that I am missing. ANY HELPFUL HINTS ???????

We have been at the coast for a couple of months now and plan on heading south in a couple of days. Heading for Arizona Either Tucson or Yuma. Any suggestions on where to stay or where not to stay????

I understand that in Yuma there is a bus that will drive us over the border into Mexico and then pick us up later that day. Looking for eye doctors, dentists, otc and rx medications. Any comments on this????

Also, any experience with doctors/dentists in Mexico.

Thanks in advance for any information. cheri

Larryheadhunter
12-14-2009, 03:43 AM
wow Ziggy and others, please look at this before you buy anything. 1000 trails is in rough times as resellers/and previous owners are selling it dirt cheap plus a $750 transfer fee. Most of the TT parks, which many are like preserves, are in the RPI and C to C book and for $10 a nite, we are camping at the Seaside Resort, next to 1000 Trails Owners, who paid $18,000 and when they heard about the deal we got, they were kinda upset at 1000 Trails. Now we can't get into every TT campground, but we can get into most of them thru these less expensive alternatives. Thru these other memberships, we are able to get the best of both worlds, and we also got NACO, Leisure Time, Coloroda River Adventures etc. Unless you are full timing for a month at a time, then I would think 1000 Trails may be worth it.

Read highway magazines campground memberships for sale as I did and got a great deal for just under a $1000 total first year, for RPI preferred and Coast to Coast deluxe (Camper World 4 parks SBR 2 parks
Colorado River all parks Sunbelt 2 parks
Leisure Time all parks Halo Resorts 2 parks
Naco 17 parks Quality Resorts 1 resort
Travel America 10 parks Resort Campgrounds
Sunrise 12 parks International 2 parks
K/M Resorts of America 6 parks Elite Resorts 1 park
American Campground 1 park
Great American Resorts 1 park ARA 1 park
SRV-Conestoga Campground 1 park Pride Resorts 1 park
Advanced Resorts of America 2 parks Holiday Trails 1 park

Go online to www.resortparks.com (http://www.resortparks.com/) click on the visitor’s section then on the resort guide and then the state you want to see. That will show you all the resorts)

RPI Preferred includes: RPI
RPI Preferred
Enjoy America
50% discount on resort rental when staying 7 nights or more
90 day reservation
14 days in 7 out 2 times a year in peak season, unlimited in off season
no 125 mile rule
4 Family passes each year, good for up to 7 nights each
The Coast to Coast Classic is 7 days in 30 days out of the same resort 2 times a year. You may go from one resort to another
The Coast to Coast Deluxe is 14 in 7 out 2 times during the peak season at each resort and unlimited in the off season and no 125 mile rule.

The $328 membership is Coast to Coast Classic and RPI regular and Happy Camper. After you are a member she can upgrade you for $495 + tax for one of them or $650 + tax for both of them. Or you can get CC Deluxe & RPI Preferred only for $1098 + tax now. If you join rpi and coast to coast the way I told you it is just under a $1000

Call Angie at Shiloh Resorts in Monroe, Louisiana and the yearly dues for shiloh if u do it this way is $99, plus Coast to Coast Deluxe is about $128 and RPI preferred is $106. Happy Camper is $40, and Enjoy America is part of eithere RPI or CC. She has these resells all the time and u never have to go to the membership campground.

SHILOH/SHILOH’S LAKE BRUIN RESORTS

7300 FRONTAGE ROAD

MONROE, LA 71202

318-343-8672

THE FOLLOWING IS A BREAKDOWN OF YOUR CHARGES:
Membership Fee $ 198.00
S&H $ 10.00
Shiloh Dues $ included then $99.00 frozen + tax due 07-01-09
Coast to Coast included
RPI 120.00 may upgrade to RPI Preferred for $495 + tax
Happy Camper included
Tax 24.26
Total $328 plus the upgrade of $650 for RPI preferred and Coast to Coast Deluxe instead of buying RPI preferred and CC separately. You have to tell her you want the Highway magazine promotion.

What is really sweet is that they pay for all the first year dues.

Please tell Angie that Larry Kuhn referred you so I can get some credit.

When you call Shiloh ask for Angie Blair's cell number.

If you have any questions pm me with your phone number and I will explain in more detail. You can't get a better deal than this. I know as I spoke with several resellers and they couldnt match this deal. It's 10 bucks a night for most of all these campgrounds. I am now in Wyoming and over the last 8 days have saved over $300

robnmo
12-14-2009, 10:16 AM
It's definitely an individual choice as to if TT fits or not, everyone is different. I don't know where the $18000 price tag comes in, we bought in for $4700 (through their park sales) with unlimited range, 14 in 7 out, RPI, ROD, etc. Again, for some it's a great fit but like any other program out there, if you don't research it, figure it up, crunch the numbers, and it's not a good fit for that individual then it's definitely not a good buy. We won't/don't stay specifically in the TT network because sometimes there isn't a preserve where we're going, then we turn to RPI, etc at a reduced rate, but grab a TT when possible.
As for having financial issues? The world has financial issues right now. :D:D

jmgratz
12-14-2009, 12:44 PM
We joined TT in Aug of 2008 and then upgraded to the Platinum Plus which allows us 21 days in and then move to another TT resort with no out time. Since we bought our membership TT was sold. The new owner (although the CEO is the same) has come up with alot of different programs such as "selling" individual sites, long term "rentals", etc. I don't even believe you can buy a membership like you used to. Our membership was not even close to $18000 and there were so many different 'levels' of membership. We even got 'frozen' dues with our membership. We have used TT Preserves in many different locations and found them to be nice. They are not like the high dollar private resorts but they have met our needs and have all of the facilities we enjoy.

robnmo
12-14-2009, 03:18 PM
We joined TT in Aug of 2008 and then upgraded to the Platinum Plus which allows us 21 days in and then move to another TT resort with no out time. Since we bought our membership TT was sold. The new owner (although the CEO is the same) has come up with alot of different programs such as "selling" individual sites, long term "rentals", etc. I don't even believe you can buy a membership like you used to. Our membership was not even close to $18000 and there were so many different 'levels' of membership. We even got 'frozen' dues with our membership. We have used TT Preserves in many different locations and found them to be nice. They are not like the high dollar private resorts but they have met our needs and have all of the facilities we enjoy.

We're with you 100% Jim, TT preserves have all we need as well, plus the ones we've seen are more than spacious and roomy, not packed like sardines, and your right the packages they used to sell are no more they're completely redoing the entire purchase programs where every so many yrs it's a renewal of about 5K, not the one time buy like we all bought into. I agree they're not like a high end resort thats another reason we like them, the mrs and I are more of the low dollar and even lower maintience people. We still roast hotdogs with a stick from a tree and convert blue jeans w/ holes into shorts. ;):D:D:D:D

Larryheadhunter
12-15-2009, 04:30 AM
I am in total agreement with u folks, my only problem is the $750 transfer fee to 1000 Trails and the fact u can stay at the exact same sites for alot less. The almighty dollar speaks loudly and clearly. My post #37 says it all. For a grand, u can stay in these same sites for 10 bucks a nite. And many more from different programs to boot. I have referred several folks to the campground I joined, which u don't even ever have to visit.

90newell
09-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Medina Lake has been our favorite. One day we will make it to some of the other parks that everyone raves about.
We like Medina Lake too, what we don't like is all the deer droppings. The park in the past few years has been totally over-run with deer. It is impossible to walk anywhere without stepping in deer droppings. Seems to me that might present a health problem for pets and people. I've seen several deer with deformaties, most likely due to in-breeding. Someone needs to weed out at least 1/2 of the deer population.