6.5" tire on a 6" rim ... Any one have any experience ???

gregattaway

Asking for help if you have done this ...

I want to change my 235 80 16 to 245 75 16 and the 245's are about 6.5" ...
I believe the stock rim and tires (3110 rig) is 6" ...

So if you have done this and it has worked great or not please let me know your experience ...

I have about 2 weeks before I venture into this territory ...

thank you in advance !!!

S Up to 112 mph or Q Up to 100 mph means anything other than speed rating ... Like is an "S" a better tire ?

jnbhobe

I have done it many times but I use 265-75-16 they are the same diameter as 235-80-16 and LR-E are 3415 lbs @ 80 psi

gregattaway

I am looking at "BFGoodrichCommercial T/A All Season tires" and the 265 calls for an 8" to 10" rim ...
the 245 calls for 6.5" to 8" rim ...

but you have done what I was asking many times will great success ?

Miltp920

I had a GY store tell me they would mount a G614 that the website said needed6.5 inch rim on my 6 in OEM rims. Another tire store would not mount 6.5 inch needed Sailun 14 ply tires on my 6 inch rims. I ended up going Carlisle 12 ply which matched up with 6 inch rims. Your rims are probably same as my 3100, 3750 at 110 psi max. 16 x 6J rims.

gregattaway

Unfortunately I do not know for certain the exact rim dimensions as I have not pick up the rig ... i am tying to get ahead of the game ...

2015 3110 is the rig ...

Miltp920

If you are purchasing a 2015, why not insist the dealer upgrade the tires to 14 ply to close the deal? The dealer has buying power, so long as you are willing to chip in the difference.

UOTE=gregattaway;371816]Unfortunately I do not know for certain the exact rim dimensions as I have not pick up the rig ... i am tying to get ahead of the game ...

2015 3110 is the rig ...[/QUOTE]

gregattaway

unfortunately the deal is closed ... learned about china bombs too late ...

Our experience is with older 5th wheels that never had these things ... ;)

johnpsz

Same here, I found out about the China bombs after I negotiated the deal too. I have my PDI tomorrow and there is a Les Schwab (tire store) literally just across the street from the dealer, so I may try and make a stink about the tires and see what happens. Either way though, the China bombs are coming off as soon as I can get them off. We saw a new SOB 5th wheel today with blowout damage and I pointed it out to DW and she is onboard with getting them off ours ASAP.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

scottyb

Good move. You guys will not be sorry. The peace of mind is worth every penny. I was in the same boat as both of you, discovered the issue too late. No harm done. If you look at the price for the factory upgrade option, you will come out about even and have brand new tires. You can get a few dollars back for the OEM tires on Craigs list. Money well spent.

BTW, when I asked about it, my tech at my PDI showed me a brand new Big Horn with the side shredded.

gregattaway

there is a discount tire about 20 miles from the dealer ... i was going to stop there on the way home (11 1/2 hr drive) ... that's why this thread to find out if i can put on the tires i want with the rims (i believe) the rig will come with ...

Last edited:

johnpsz

Do you happen to have pics of the tires on yours? Most 16" trailer wheels are 6" wide, so there is a good chance that you're researching the right things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk