Hydraulic Slides ?????

Delaine and Lindy

As usual after you sit and think?? Oh well my question is does the BH 3600RL have just one button for the slides if so and I think thats what I remember is there a place that you can just control one slide at a time. Our last 5th wheel had a in/out button for each slide it was great. I do know that some 5th wheels have a option were you have valves to control each hydraulic slide. Comments needed. Life is good we had some bad storms in Tennessee last night, Pray for all those that were hit by the storms. (Thanks) GBY.....

linuxkidd

I think it depends on which year you have. With your unit, I would expect individual switches.

In my '08 Landmark, they are individual, but earlier models were single button with isolation valves in the basement for emergency operation of only one slide at a time.

LK

jimtoo

Hi Delaine and Lindy,

On your Bighorn in the compartment where the hydraulic pump for the slides is located, you should find 3 small valves on a manifold as such and a switch. By opening or closing the valves you can control which slide will open or close. On my 3055RL it is in the same compartment with the battery, door side, front compartment.

linuxkidd

Thanks jimtoo... I didn't realize that was different from the Landmark to the Bighorn...

Learn something new everyday!
LK

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Our 2008 3370 is the same as Jimtoo's. One big switch in the cupboard where all the other switches are and individual valves with the pump.

Forrest Fetherolf

On the 3600RL you will have 4 valves located under the hydraulic pump motor. Each one should be labeled, however on my 3600RL, I have 4 switches for switching each slide and only three return lines not switched. Somehow, someway, the factory connected the hydraulic lines so each slide, that is switched off from operation, will still operate when another slide is being operated. The results, you may want to only extend or close one slide, but another slide still operate that is switched off. I suspect the correct way would be to switch both extend slide lines and close slide lines to lock each slide in position. I did not want to tear out all the under belly to figure what they did wrong.

Forrest

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I just bought an '09 Big Horn and thought the three valves at the pump were to control slides individually. On my walk though the tech advised that they were only for adjusting the pressure and not to control the slides. Has anyone tried this and how does it work?

jpmorgan37

Unless something radically has changed in these systems, I believe the valves are to control each individual slide. Open the valve, the slide moves when you push the switch, close the valve and it doesn't move. At least, that's how mine work.

John

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Unless something radically has changed in these systems, I believe the valves are to control each individual slide. Open the valve, the slide moves when you push the switch, close the valve and it doesn't move. At least, that's how mine work.

John

I agree with John, where my trailer is parked by the house I can't open all the slides with out hitting something. I just use the three controls individually to move slides out to the desired length when working on or getting things packed to go....Ken

Jimmyt5

I just bought an '09 Big Horn and thought the three valves at the pump were to control slides individually. On my walk though the tech advised that they were only for adjusting the pressure and not to control the slides. Has anyone tried this and how does it work?

Don't be surprised, you got bum dope........

Jim

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I agree with John and Jimtoo. I have only 2 switches, one in the cupboard and one in the front compartment where the switching valves are. You can run them all out or one at a time. Bob:D

Last edited:

jrlebaron

Our 3670 has one inside contro switch. Outside in the battery compartment are 4 individual contro valves. I have closed three valve and left one open for the slide I wanted to operate.
Jim

superduty08

Thanks, I have the same problem with room to open slides for loading and selecting the slide needed will be a great help.

jimtoo

Don't be surprised, you got bum dope........

Jim

Yep, you really got bum information. The valves should never be used to try and regulate pressure, all you would be doing by partially closing a valve is to restrict fluid flow and make the pump work harder. And if this happened over a long enough period, the fluid could actually wash out or cut the valve where it would not seal when closed. Much like a water faucet that drips, the seat is bad or cut.

The valves should be in the fully open or fully closed position and never have all of them closed at the same time. If you want to operate only a certain slide, then make sure that valve is fully open and the others are fully closed. When your slides are fully extended you always notice a change in the noise your hydraulic pump is making, it is loading up and cannot pump any more fluid anyplace. That is when you release the switch. If you were to try and run the pump with all the valves closed you would cause the pump to overheat and maybe trip a breaker or blow a line or overheat the motor and cause damage.

Delaine and Lindy

Thanks for all the replys, I do understand how the hydralics work now. Our other 5er had 4 switches for the slides and also had the 4 valves on the manifold. In some places when we stopped we would just run the bed room slide out. Was very handy to be able to just pust one button. However with the BH 3600RL we can get to the fridge, John and bedroom without moving a slide. The floorplan is almost the same as the other 5er we had. Again Thanks to all. GBY.....

superduty08

Well I finally tried it and it is just as you all said. This is a great feature in tight places. I found several things different from what the walk through tech said. We have our first trip in the new 5er later this week and I can hardly wait!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
On my 08 3600RL, I can control the slides individually with the switches near the hydraulic pump. Have used it several times and it works just fine. Would think the new ones are the same way.

Hyd. Lead

After extending the slide, the next day the bedroom slide is moving in? After a few days it will be almost closed? Any feedback on this? Solinoid?
Lead in hyd pump?

davebennington

mercuryman,

We had the same problem with our bedroom slide. Our problem was leaking rings in the cylinder itself (you have to have a pressure test to determine if this is really the problem). First you should check the hoses and the valve for leaks. Our cylinder was replaced and all is well now.

Dave

Slide Leak?

Dave thanks for your input. I think you have hit the nail on the head! I will check the hyd lines and the pump for leaks. THanks