Reverse Lights

NewCyclone

Does anybody else's unit (3795 in particular) have reverese lights on the trailer? I had my wiring checked out at the dealer today (Chevrolet) and they said that the reverse lights for the 5th wheel where inop. Wondering if the RV dealer did this because there are no reverse lights on the trailer.

ct0218

Not sure if you're saying the back-up lights on your truck aren't working now, and the reason is because you don't have any on the fifth wheel (?). The truck lights should work either way, possible that if the RV dealer did any wiring on your truck that some wire got shorted or connected wrong and a truck fuse is blown.

NewCyclone

Sorry about the confusion. No I am talking about reverse lights on the trailer. I am asking if the trailer has reverse lights at all. I don't have my trailer parked at my house but rather at a storage yard on post so I can't just go check.

The reason I ask is that the chevrolet dealer told me today that the wire for the reverse lights on the trailer is not hooked up for the 5th Wheel hook up. The factory plug in that I have on my bumper from the factory for towing a bumper pulled trailer has the reverse wire hooked up, but not the 5th wheel. The reason I ask is I am wondering if it is something I need to worry about before I tow my Cyclone again? Or, don't worry about it because the Cyclone doesn't even have reverse lights?

Hope this fixes the confusion. :eek:

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Not for sure on the cyclone but our 2008 Landmark does not have backup lights and it would surprise me if the Cyclone did. Think the only fifth wheel I have seen with backup lights was a Holliday Rambler Presidential. Sure someone with knowledge of the Cyclone will chime in here soon.

Don

ct0218

Our Landmark does not have back-up lights either, but does have the lights on the rear corners. Seems like they were called docking lights or something like that. You could run a wire from the front junction box to the rear of the trailer and add a pair of clear fog lights (clear, flat beam, bright) that would work when you are in reverse. Or like our docking lights, just find a 12v wire off the trailer running lights and add a switch back there along with the fog lights. They do come in handy if you have to park at night. I've used mine twice and having to manually switch them on was no biggie. The biggest obstacle to the first method is fishing the wire in the area of the kingpin. It WILL NOT be easy.

Loco

Our 07 Cyclone 3795 did not have back up lights when we got it. If I recall they did not offer them at all. Our rig now has back up lights. I wired a relay in the rig that turns my rear floods on when we back up. If I need more light I just turn on all of side floods before I back in. Wiring the rear flood to come on was not a big deal but running the wiring was not so fun. I had to go to the rear over the door. I did it when I added the upper skull brake lights. It is really nice to have the rear floods light up when backing.

haole

I turn on the lights above the garage door to back up at night. Means getting out, but works in a pinch until I add the reverse lights.

If you're adding lights, I found that a combination of floods and spots worked good. The floods bath the area in light and the spots help give a idea of which way the trailer is turning.