Air Horns

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
A couple of questions for those of you that have air horns installed on your tow rig.
First, where did you mount everything at especially the trumpets to keep them dry?
Also, do you have a separate actuator for the horn or do you just use your regular "horn"? Last one, if so, do you have a cut off switch or do you always have it active?

Thanks for the info about ready to get me a new toy. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
A couple of questions for those of you that have air horns installed on your tow rig.
First, where did you mount everything at especially the trumpets to keep them dry?
Also, do you have a separate actuator for the horn or do you just use your regular "horn"? Last one, if so, do you have a cut off switch or do you always have it active?

2011 F-350 DRW, so very similar truck.

Horns - mine is an al-a-carte assembly built over some time.

Thanks to one of our members here I started with a 26" Mack truck trumpet. To that I added a dual trumpet (recovered from a sunken boat) and a 26" trumpet from a Volvo HDT.

The Mack and dual trumpet are mounted behind the bumper, aimed down slightly for drainage. The Volvo horn is mounted under the passenger door.
I have two air tanks. A 3 gallon tank mounted to the frame under the rear passenger door and a 5 gallon tank mounted under the bed and above the driveshaft.
My compressor is mounted to a bracket on the side of the right side spring hanger.

I have a home made manifold mounted in the bed under the right side rail.
I use a 3/8" heavy duty solenoid to power the horns.
The front 3 horns are supplied by a 3/8 line as is the side mounted horn. The solenoid feed is split to the two sets of horns

The horns are wired into the steering wheel switch. But, that wire is through an on/off switch mounted on the dash.

The compressor is supplied 12 volts from the battery with 8 gauge wire to a heavy duty, water resistant marine grade solenoid (similar to the traditional Ford starter solenoids).

A kit would be easier if you want simple.
I have no problems so far with my under bed mounted compressor, but the next truck will most likely have the compressor mounted in the bed.

For the most part, I only have the cutoff switch active when towing.

I am still looking for a decent set of mid 60's Cadillac horns to replace the wimpy stock Ford horns.

ILH

Air horns are on my most wanted list. I have a set of cheap 118 decibel horns running in unison with my factory horn - but it sounds wimpy.

jassson007

I am more than likely gonna do the kit from Air Horns of Texas but my guy that does all my hitch work was asking about it and I wanted to know how they did an install. He was saying to make sure trumpets stay kinda dry. I did not ask about switching it though. Do you think one of the unfitter switches can handle that duty?

ILH

There are several economically priced kits on eBay - but the thing I'm unsure about is the size of the air tank. Any thoughts?

JanAndBill

Air horns are on my wish list as well. Unfortunately the DW has this thing about equal spending. I get something for the truck - she gets something of equal value for the trailer, wish is why there are still several items on my wish list :p

jo9463

Air horns are on my wish list as well. Unfortunately the DW has this thing about equal spending. I get something for the truck - she gets something of equal value for the trailer, wish is why there are still several items on my wish list :p

Thanks for the idea!! Guess when he gets the stuff off his horns and the other stuff off his wish list, I can go shopping for me!! Better be ready, Andy!! Lol

jassson007

Thanks for giving her ideas guys lol!! ;)

porthole

Retired
I am more than likely gonna do the kit from Air Horns of Texas but my guy that does all my hitch work was asking about it and I wanted to know how they did an install. He was saying to make sure trumpets stay kinda dry. I did not ask about switching it though. Do you think one of the unfitter switches can handle that duty?

I forgot to add. I use #4 upfitter to control the solenoid that powers the compressor. IIRC that is only a 10 or 15 amp switch. My solenoid takes care of the 80 amp draw the compressor can demand.

Separate switch needed for the horn activation.

As for keeping the horns dry. When was the last time you saw a big rig or fire truck with the horns exposed?
Once you start taking a good look at your truck, you will see there are not a lot of hiding places that are protected. So, odds are, your horns are going to get wet. Just make sure they can drain.

jassson007

I forgot to add. I use #4 upfitter to control the solenoid that powers the compressor. IIRC that is only a 10 or 15 amp switch. My solenoid takes care of the 80 amp draw the compressor can demand.

Separate switch needed for the horn activation.

As for keeping the horns dry. When was the last time you saw a big rig or fire truck with the horns exposed?
Once you start taking a good look at your truck, you will see there are not a lot of hiding places that are protected. So, odds are, your horns are going to get wet. Just make sure they can drain.

I think that was more of the point he was making, aim them so water does not sit in them.
Do you think they can use an upfitter for both of those applications?
Btw thanks for the info.

jbeletti

Andy - you're getting lots of great feedback here.

My gear came from the same place you're looking at. I think they're in McAllen. Me and the boys stopped there one day to buy the stuff.

I mounted mine on my 2012 F450, below the front passenger seat, facing backwards and tilted slightly downward.

I had 1 compressor and 2.5 gallon tank at the time. Was enough.

My compressor is controlled by an upfitter switch.

I elected to try connecting the air horn solenoid to the OEM horn circuit at the OEM horn. It worked! If I hit the horn button for a short duration, I get the OEM horn. If I lay on the switch, I get both, though you can only hear the air horn.

jassson007

Just one more toy that you must have. It never ends!!!

Exactly. I went by the accessory shop today to get numbers on bed cover, in bed transfer tank and air bags. Lol. Gotta have a goal to save for. Lol

jassson007

Andy - you're getting lots of great feedback here.

My gear came from the same place you're looking at. I think they're in McAllen. Me and the boys stopped there one day to buy the stuff.

I mounted mine on my 2012 F450, below the front passenger seat, facing backwards and tilted slightly downward.

I had 1 compressor and 2.5 gallon tank at the time. Was enough.

My compressor is controlled by an upfitter switch.

I elected to try connecting the air horn solenoid to the OEM horn circuit at the OEM horn. It worked! If I hit the horn button for a short duration, I get the OEM horn. If I lay on the switch, I get both, though you can only hear the air horn.

I have been toying with the idea but I do not feel like I am handy enough to do the wiring part of things so I don't know if I want to take a weekend and drive down and let them do it or order it and have local guy install it for me now. I do think now I want my tank on one upfitter switch and the valve solenoid on another so it is not always going to blow through train horn. I assume this is possible.

Now as I sit here thinking I am just gonna have my guy here do the install and save the diesel driving to s Texas.

Btw Jim is your compressor and tank also mounted underneath as well ? I watched one YouTube and he had his inside the truck cab. :(

marvmarcy

Big trucks (hdts) usually come with two horns operated by two different switches. In my truck the center of the wheel has the air horn switch behind the pad. The "city" horn is operated from switches on each side of the center pad. I rarely use my air horn because it startles other drivers and can contribute to an accident. Air horns are not a toy to surprise or impress; they are a safety device to be used with diligence. Of course, it can really get someone's attention when they drift right in front of you while on their cell phone or otherwise distracted, but they might be so startled that they swerve into another vehicle. I usually sound the city horn first then follow with the air horn if absolutely warranted.

I hope I haven't insulted anyone, but when towing a big fiver, safety is paramount.

jassson007

Big trucks (hdts) usually come with two horns operated by two different switches. In my truck the center of the wheel has the air horn switch behind the pad. The "city" horn is operated from switches on each side of the center pad. I rarely use my air horn because it startles other drivers and can contribute to an accident. Air horns are not a toy to surprise or impress; they are a safety device to be used with diligence. Of course, it can really get someone's attention when they drift right in front of you while on their cell phone or otherwise distracted, but they might be so startled that they swerve into another vehicle. I usually sound the city horn first then follow with the air horn if absolutely warranted.

I hope I haven't insulted anyone, but when towing a big fiver, safety is paramount.

I understand this fact and you are absolutely correct. My intentions are for the idiots that want to cut me off or drift into my lane.

jbeletti

...Btw Jim is your compressor and tank also mounted underneath as well ?

Yes Andy. I now have 2 tanks and 2 compressors, all connected as one system and it is all under the truck. This system is my auxiliary air for airing tires and such (and now blowing the horn).

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
My UP horn and the compressor are mounted under the truck bed on the passenger side. I can switch from the OEM horn to the air horn with a switch on the dash- no upfitter switches- and it works well, unless I accidentally hit the button to change from air horn to factory. Then I try to wake someone up when they drift into my lane and the wrong is selected.... Grrr...

jassson007

Thanks for the info Jay. Ford puts in 4 switches that up until now I had no use for. Lol