Tow Vehicles

G-town

We are researching 5th wheels and trucks now for 2015. We will be full timers beginning in April. We love the Landmark San Antonio but it is extremely heavy. Do we really need a dually diesel to haul a 5er? Any help would be appreciated.

jbeletti

The San Antonio is a long (42 feet) and heavy unit.

I've had the San Antonio. It was the right coach for us at the time. This floor plan was recently retired - are you looking at one in dealer stock.

As for the diesel dually - "yes" to the diesel and "I would" with the dually.

To make the most educated decision, obtain the pin weight of the actual unit you are looking at and compare that weight to the cargo capacity of the SRW and DRW trucks you are liking. If the pin weight you obtain does not include any of your personal items in the trailer, you will need to add another 500 - 1000 pounds.

G-town

We stopped at a Camping World in Florida this week and saw one there. I had no idea that the San Antonio is no longer available. We loved the angled tv, computer desk, separate toilet and shower and most of all the L counter in kitchen. Guess we now need to be on the hunt for something else. Wow! Thanks for the update.

jbeletti

We stopped at a Camping World in Florida this week and saw one there. I had no idea that the San Antonio is no longer available. We loved the angled tv, computer desk, separate toilet and shower and most of all the L counter in kitchen. Guess we now need to be on the hunt for something else. Wow! Thanks for the update.

There are likely many San Antonio units in dealer inventories. Kindly call Heartland corporate and ask for the Landmark sales team (574-262-5992). They can tell you where to find what you are looking for.

G-town

Thank you. We will do that. We just looked at a 2500 HD, not too loud and good price. Now I just have to do my calculations and make sure it can tow what we want.

danemayer

Thank you. We will do that. We just looked at a 2500 HD, not too loud and good price. Now I just have to do my calculations and make sure it can tow what we want.
Landmarks have a GVWR of around 16,000 lbs, which means you can estimate 3,200 on pin weight. By the time you add other stuff in the truck, you'll be well over the payload of a 2500. You'll want a 3500 for sure. Check the payload spec on the actual truck you're considering buying to make sure it's at least 4,000 lbs.

jbeletti

I agree with Dan on this. The San Antonio is a big unit and I'd suggest the 3500. Personally, I'd get the DRW too.

Kosanko

I agree with Dan on this. The San Antonio is a big unit and I'd suggest the 3500. Personally, I'd get the DRW too.

I have never heard anyone complain about having too much truck, but I have know many who wished they had bought the dually from the start!

aRAYwego

Kosanko:372883 said:

I have never heard anyone complain about having too much truck, but I have know many who wished they had bought the dually from the start!

so so true. I had just bought at 2500 in 2012 when DW and I decided we wanted to upgrade trailers. So you guessed it, traded in our 2012 for a 2013 DRW. Hurt pretty bad but lesson learned. When we started looking at new coaches, nothing but top o the line.

GOTTOYS

Don't waste your time looking at 2500s. They will TOW what you want but they are not capable of hauling the weight you need to haul. Take everyone's advice and look for a 3500 dually....Don

bsuds

Probably the biggest mistake you can make is not having the right tow vehicle. A danger to yourself and everyone else on the road if you are under powered and over loaded.
I cringe when I see someone travelling down the Hwy with a 3/4 ton truck and a big RV.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have a 2013 Landmark San Antonio. If you like that unit go for it. I would not worry about it not being produced any longer as Heartland and their dealers still support that floorplan. The actual weight is closer to 16500 and the real pin weight in ours is 3950. We tow it with a 2012 Ford F350 dually with the 6.7 L Diesel. We have no problems towing and we have also put airbags on the truck to help level out the truck. I wanted the truck to ride more level. We are actually ok on the truck and trailer weight wise. We have also upgraded the suspension on the 5er by changing out the suspension going to the Mor-Ryde IS (independent suspension) 8K, hydraulic/electric disc brakes, never lube bearings, 17.5 wheels with Goodyear 614 tires (H rated). We have the Mor/Ryde pin box and the Trailer Saver TS2 hitch. With the upgrades we have not difficulty towing and more importantly stopping. We love our San Antonio and one reason is we did not want the washer/dryer in the front closet adding to the pin weight. With the washer/dryer (we have a stackable one) in the middle it helps to balance it out more IMHO. Also we prefer the split bath with the separate toilet room. The computer desk gives us a perfect place to store our small file cabinet and put the computer printer so they are out of the way. Since we work on the road we needed that area. Good luck.

Jim.Allison

I have toughted the 2500 and RAM and expressed opinions on almost every tow vehicle, but it comes down to the MATH. I like my rig but your fiver should not have to accommodate your tow vehicle. Your Tow vehicle should accommodate your fiver.

The problem is that people don't want duallies and there are no tires beyond 3200 pound max load. The only way around it is to buy custom wheels and use medium duty tires on a 350/3500 are whatever nomenclature applies to a 1 ton in the brand you are thinking about.

I let a car salesman choose my truck in the heat of the moment. Truck lots are not a good environment for me, and many will know what Im talking about. Between him and my wife who thinks that a Ram 3500 was a bigger truck than the 2500, I acquiesced. Always do the math then find the truck and go buy it. If they don't have it then order it.

I know most know most already know what Im saying here, I'm posting this for the guys that are thinking about purchasing a rig and have never owned one before. Do the math and the solutions will put you in the right truck.

Last edited:

Jim.Allison

While what you say is true, the HD 2500 or 250's are more capable than former 1 tons in SRW. the motor and drive lines are identical in 3/4 and 1 tons on the HD's. I recommend the math for the reason I outlined in my previous post. The fiver should not have to accommodate the tow vehicle, the tow vehicle should accommodate the fiver. If I had it to do over again I would do differently. THEN momma could collect her rocks and all the other necessities that cannot be left behind on a trip. But there is little difference in the 2500 vs. 3500. The difference is between DRW and SRW. The DRW is where I choked.

Probably the biggest mistake you can make is not having the right tow vehicle. A danger to yourself and everyone else on the road if you are under powered and over loaded.
I cringe when I see someone travelling down the Hwy with a 3/4 ton truck and a big RV.

DW_Gray

Yep, I agree with all the above. If your shopping for new truck, do it right the first time. Anyone who already has a 3/4 ton, they have the choice or replacing it with a 1 ton or buying the Automated Safety Hitch System.

Miltp920

I listened to alot of people tell me my 2500HD SRW Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 could PULL any camper I wanted to buy (2 axle), including some salesman that sold me my 15,500 lb Cyclone. They even showed me on some website. IF you want to make an educated decision, make sure you look in the owners manual (diesel supplement id buying diesel) of the truck you want to buy. There are three numbers to deal with, rear axle gross weight, truck gross weight including your passengers and hitch, and combined weight of everything you drive-pull down the road. You do not want to be surprised when you pull it onto the scales to CHECK that you are within ALL those ratings. Some will say it is not LAW that you meet them, but it would give "us" piece of mind to meet ALL three. I have researched the 3500 compared to the 2500 GMs, and there is not much gain if any between them in 2003 to 2007 range. Maybe if you are buying new. Read as many of the "tow" threads on this site. There are experienced tow " masters" willing to share. I am now looking at duallys. Did't think I needed one, until I pulled on a scale.

We are researching 5th wheels and trucks now for 2015. We will be full timers beginning in April. We love the Landmark San Antonio but it is extremely heavy. Do we really need a dually diesel to haul a 5er? Any help would be appreciated.

Bohemian

Specs vary with the individual truck. You can find a 350/3500 with lesser specs than a 250/2500. Just going with the model designation does not guarantee anything. Look for the individual truck's specs. The truck dealer just wants to sell a truck, right now, today.

Jim.Allison

I find it interesting the number of people that will tell you to run "China Bomb" ST tires and in the same breath tell you that your SRW is dangerous. If you are running 4 china bombs then you are probably ok with a modern 3/4 ton HD. Don't buy one, but for now your truck and trailer combo is acceptable and there are other solutions to your payload problem.

Sandpirate69

I will always tow with a Dually. Simply put, my family deserves a safe trip as well as those families on the road.