Exhaust brakes

Dusty

Hey ya'll,

I have a 2002 F250 superduty extended cab diesel. I know I probably need an exhaust brake. The prices being what they are, can anyone reccomend a good one. Also, what light can you shed on exhaust brakes and engine warrenties?

Thanks,

Dusty

Rick

Hey Dusty I just traded in an F-250(2000). I bought it used and it came with a jake brake,air bags, and 20k reese hitch. The jake brake worked great. Iwould of kept the truck but I felt my Golden Gate was just a little bit too much for it. Inow have a Chevy (the beast) 3500, dulley, 6.6 Duramax,4x4 crew cab with 8 ft. bed. Pulls like a dream. Was going to put jake brake and air bags in it but not needed. Depending what you are pulling you also might want to consider air bags if you have SWR. Rick & Sandi (TIN CAN TOURISTS)

Dusty

Exhaust brake

Thanks Rick, I am towing a Bighorn 3500 and I do have SRW.

gotta look in to the air bag things too, but it seems to do ok. its just going down long steep grades make me a little white knuckled.

Dusty

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi Dudsty
You do not say what you are pulling. I would call Ford customer service and ask if a exhaust brake would void any or all of the warranty. I have a Chevy 3500 diesel with the Allison tranny, it does a good of keeping the speed down while going down a moderate grade, but as I discovered recently going through Donner pass it still picked up alot of speed, but that is a pretty steep grade.
I also have the air bags, don't really need them with the dually, but I had them on my 2500 SRW chevy and the dealer would not allow anything on them when I traded it in, so off they came and they fit my new truck. they do make the ride a little smoother when the truck is not towing.

J-W&E

We have the DRW Dodge with 6 speed and Jake Brake. The Jake Brake was put on by the Dodge dealership when we bought the new truck and did not void the warranty. In mountains or big hills I would Not BE WITHOUT IT. It makes driving a pleasure.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We have a 2004 Dodge 3500 with the Automatic and I had the BD Exhaust Brake and TorqLoc installed and I'm really pleased with it. It did some mountain driving and it really did the trick on all grades. Prior to putting it on I checked with my dealership and they said it would'nt void the warrantly. I have since seen adds in Chrysler dealerships regarding installing BD sustems. I'm a technical idiot but sure like the feeling of confidence going down steaper grades now.../Doug

jbeletti

Doug,

What does something like the Banks system cost, installed?

Torqloc? I assume that's a torque converter modification?

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Jim, I paid just over $2800 cdn for both the brake on the TorqLoc fully installed. I assume the Banks would be similar to BD, they just didn't have a brake for my 2004.5 at the time and we planned on doing some mountain driving this summer. Yes the TorqLoc is the torque converter lockout which is req'd for the auto trans. It works really slick and is setup to shift the tranny down at preset (modifiable if you know what your doing and I don't) speeds.../Doug

davebennington

we have had our 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 with automatic for about 3 weeks now. I had the Jake brake installed by the Dealer. It is my understanding that only the Jake Brake is approved for the automatic tranny also only for 2006 for now. It has worked great so far. It works with the computer to down shift as well as slowing you down, without frying the brakes.

Dave:)

mobilrvn

We have the Banks exhaust brake with the Smart-lock transmission torque converter lockup system. Never was happy with the way it locked up and took it it to factory where it was adjusted, but still worked in a jerky manner. It locked up so hard that it destroyed the transmission about a month ago. Don't know how other brakes work, but you get no braking under 1600 RPM. Can't recommend a Banks. Wasn't happy with our old BD either.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Does anyone know anything about US Gear D-Celerator Diesel exhause Brake? Is it any good, It installs in the exhaust. Lots of other brakes install in different areas?
Thanks for any comments We want to do something with our Dodge 05.
Regards
Wayne

timk

I just put on a Pac-Brake on my 05 dodge. I wish everything I did worked out that well. Slipped right on and works like a charm. I was able to hold me to about 45 on a 7% grade at about 23000 lbs. It was 1300 and change delivered to the door.

Wayne, your going to have to add some kind of transmission controller to your 05, so that the brake will only engage with the converter locked up. Otherwise you could overheat the transmission.

TimK

wfwilson

Pac-Brake

Any comments on Pac-Brake vs other types. TimK likes his according to the above and at present after TimK's comments and much research it looks pretty good to me.
I have received a quote direct from Pacbrake in CDN including an integrated lock up converter of $1900.00 and PacBrake say there are no issues with Chrysler warrenty. Their letter to me says "As North Americia's largest producer of exhaust brakes, you will find our brakes on military vehicle, fire trucks, ambulances, 90% of diesel motor chaches and thousands of pick up trucks."

wfwilson

BD Exhaust Brake comments requested

I have received email from BD exhaust brakes. They seem to be the most responsive with information. I like Pac but they are not giving info. Local Dodge dealers scratch their heads about Jacob. Any comment pro or con on the BD exhaust brakes?

Country

I have a Cummins/Jacobs brake and like it a lot. Dodge lists it in their brochure now. If your dealer is confused, get one out of the showroom, flip to the back and show it to them.

wfwilson

Country
I have shown them and talked to service manager they just gave me Chryslers customer service number!
Thanks
Wayne

Country

Man, that doesn't sound like much of a dealer....
Sorry you had to deal with that.

Last edited:
exhaust brakes

I tow a '06 3600 RL with a 2007 Dodge 3500 chassis cab with a custom Royal truck body. It has the new 6.7 L Cummins diesel with a factory exhaust brake from Cummins. I but my 6 speed auto in 3rd gear and tow haul mode, it holds me to 25mph on 8 percent grades with no brakes needed. Works great.
wayne marshall
2006 Big Horn 3600RL Dodge 3500 Chassis Cab Dually

sidney dreyfus

exhaust brake

Dave,
I just bought the 2005 dodge 3500 drw/auto quad cab with a 4.10 rear end. I understand that PacBrake has exhaust brake for this auto model year. I havn't bought it yet, but I understand it works better at lower RPM's and will cost around $1,900 fully installed.

Can anyone offer suggestions on a good hitch? We own the 08 3670rl.
Thanks,
Sid

Pulltab

Hi Dusty, Bd is the brake I put on my Duramax and it worked great. The Pac brake is also a great one. Either is fine if you can get it installed. I now have the 07 Dodge and it is a Turbo/Exhaust brake and works so dang well intergraded with the trans that on 6% down grades I had to give it throttle to stay at 55! :) You won't be disappoined in the purchase of a brake.