What is being done about Towmax Tires

hankster

I have 2 of them fail in the last 3 months
The rig that they are on is a 2013 BH 3570.
I have watched them close, still failed.

jdamude

Air pressures are critical to prolonging tire life. Tires should be set to max air pressure cold. I have a 3650rl and changed the Towmax's tires to Goodyear G614 and installed a TPMS system.

stevenssr

As far as I know nothing. I guess we are all hoping to make it to the next tire change or to the inevitable safety recall. There aren't a lot of options out there except to buy new tires and wheels (and there's nothing wrong with these wheels).

It was 100 for the first day of the year in DFW today. To celebrate the heat goddess decided to take out one of my truck's stock Goodyear Tires on my way back from Camping World. It didn't explode but it was about to. I noticed a vibration getting worse, pulled over and found the outer edge (in the tread) with a big bubble in it. Luckily, the trailer was at home. So, I guess it happens in other tires as well. The good part is it hung together long enough for me to notice and pull over. I'm betting you received no warning (most people don't on Towmax).

Lynn1130

jdamude, you might want to read some of the threads here about these particular tires. Many, or most on this Web site are of the type that, if anything, over maintain their equipment. Tires are one of those items that receive extra time especially considering some of the large and heavy rigs pulled. So, it goes to say that most all of us who have had BlowMax tires go on us, have paid very close attention to pressure, wear and balance. They blow up anyway, and many times do major damage to the rig.

To answer the question asked, nothing that I have seen. I said it before and I will say it again, Heartland needs to take the lead here and mount a campaign to protect their customers. Trailer manufacturers can push the blame back to the tire manufacturer but it is the trailer manufacturer that makes the decision to put questionable equipment in/on the rig with the idea of saving money.

szewczyk_john

Nothing is going to happen for those that have those types of tires on their rigs. I just changed mine out the beginning of this season. Do it for yourself. I know that it is expensive but so is the damage that the blowout will do. My driving has not changed with these new wheels and tires but by driving time is a lot less stressful knowing that I made the change.

macjj

Tires– What to do in a Blowout Situation

Lessons learned. Recently I had TWO tires blow on my 2012 Bighorn within 40 miles with approximately 10,000 miles on the rig. Quite a few had recommended I change all four after initially buying the rig, however, statistics indicated I should be good for a while.These particular tires were Towmax STR Power King, I have since found out (from the warranty services) that they are experiencing so many issues it may be subject to recall.

The problem is not Heartland, as I have noted these tires on many rigs for SOB(Some Other Brand).
But it has been an education.
Heartland Rep Jim Beletti however has stated Heartland is moving toward another brand.

First– take pictures (few are not enough) of the damaged tire, location, damage to the rig, etc.

Second– Keep the old tire(s). Sometimes that may prove a challenge if you are going somewhere. If you have them replaced, ask the dealer to keep them for a week while you contact the tire manufacture or warranty service (the tire manufacture may pick them up directly from them).

Third– get in touch with your warranty provider or the Tire manufacture ASAP. Some items they will ask for:
Make/Model/Size of the defective tire(s)
DOT Serial Number
Location of Occurrence
Make/Model/VIN of your rig
Purchase date of your rig
Make/Model/Type of tire it was replaced with
Who you have talked with thus far regarding this matter

Forth– Keep records, receipts, contact information, etc.

Fifth– record all contact dates, times, information requested, etc.

I had Towmax STR Power King LT-235/80 R16’s Purchased in late 2011. Heartland lists Tredit Tire (800)537-2925 as the distributor.They referred me to TBC Corp (handles all warranty issues). Their tire warranty is for only 2 years. They have two numbers – 800-238-6469 (no damage to the rig), and 800-739-7696 (damage to rig and tires). Be prepared for long waits or leave messages – they will call back.

I have a 7 year extended warranty through Tire Shield (888-628-8423), however they took the information but requested I contact the tire manufacture first.

The Tomax STR Power King is manufactured by Dynamic Tire Corporation (800-668-8473), however they will redirect you to TBC Corp.

Be advised I have been told that Heartland is changing their tire brand (not clear on the brand) due to the issues being brought to their attention.

If you are in the Ridgecrest, CA area off Old 395 andneed service, I can highly recommend Motion Tire (760-375-3423), ask for Richardor Lane.Excellent service! Although avoid American Towing and Recovery –that did not end well.

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Heartland has switched to Saliun tires for BH, BC, and now Landmark will have Goodyear G114s standard. That says HL recognizes the problem and has made a change. If you buy a rig and it has TowMax, there is far too much negative publicity about these tires to assume they are ok. Change them yourself, and be glad you did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have changed the rims and tires out on my 2008 Bighorn to the 17.5 GY114. So far no trouble and I am quite happy. I changed to these tires on 11/14/2012.

I originally changed the Mission and Free Star out the day I bought my 5er to Michelin XPS Ribs which served me very well. However they were under rated for the weight I had on them.

I would like to see Heartland put the 114 on all their bigger trailers, Big Country and Bighorn.

BC

jdamude

When you changed to the 17.5 inch tires, was the overall height any different? Our trailer right now is at 13'6" to the top of the front AC unit with the 16" tires and rims. That worries me when we get on secondary roads.

Thanks
Jeff

Cjackg

When I changed out the 16" oem Towmax's for 17.5" Continentals from TT&W there was no change in the overall height. You can check the specs of the tires you are considering to confirm the overall diameter/height.

Jim.Allison

http://www.trailer-wheels.com/Wheel-Tire-Package_c_285.html

I ordered mine mounted and balanced. No sales tax and no freight. Delivered to my front door by FedEX.

I know you did not ask but I would like to volunteer that you should investigate the HiSpec Mod 03 (8 on 6.5) 17.5 inch wheels, for the G114 tire. I just took mine for a 2500 mile trip with a Big Country 3650RL and I have never been more comfortable with my tires and my ride. I also used a TPMS this time, the tires ran cool, straight and firm.

As far as diameters are concerned, my g114 were the same diameter as the 16 in TowMax. If there is any doubt in your mind contact the folks at the website I provided and ask them. There are minor differences and they can explain them. The diameter is probably the least significant measurement. The width difference on my big country resulted in a 5/8 inch width increase, but the 5/8 inch was divided by 2 because it was 1/2 on each side of the tire.

After speaking with them and doodling on a piece of paper, I strolled out to the rig and double checked all the dimensions. I found that the G114 on the HiSpec wheels dimensions were no concern.

Here is the information for the HiSpec (available from the other link) This will provide information concerning why this is no ordinary wheel. http://www.hispecwheel.com/

When you changed to the 17.5 inch tires, was the overall height any different? Our trailer right now is at 13'6" to the top of the front AC unit with the 16" tires and rims. That worries me when we get on secondary roads.

Thanks
Jeff

Dryer

My cyclone 4200 made it home from the dealer with towax. Changed them out this weekend for some g rated tires this weekend. Huge difference in the 2 tires. Had to go with 235/85/16 though instead of 235/80/16. They are less than an inch taller than the blow max pieces of crap

Jim.Allison

There might be a negligible height change in that you will not be riding on a squashed out radial, instead you will have a firm round tire under your rig. But I would say that if you are cutting your bridges that close then you aer playing russian roulette already, because your truck suspension is affecting that nominal figure given by the trailer spec. That figure assumes a perfectly level trailer. That front AC unit is way up there and your truck suspension is putting it up even higher. You bring up a good point though and you remind me that I need to look at that. Trees give me the biggest problem. I'm constantly getting the wife to check our clearance. I also neglect checking the shelters on gas stations. I hope I dont show up on a YouTube video someday.

Thanks
Jeff

jdamude

There might be a negligible height change in that you will not be riding on a squashed out radial, instead you will have a firm round tire under your rig. But I would say that if you are cutting your bridges that close then you aer playing russian roulette already, because your truck suspension is affecting that nominal figure given by the trailer spec. That figure assumes a perfectly level trailer. That front AC unit is way up there and your truck suspension is putting it up even higher. You bring up a good point though and you remind me that I need to look at that. Trees give me the biggest problem. I'm constantly getting the wife to check our clearance. I also neglect checking the shelters on gas stations. I hope I dont show up on a YouTube video someday.

I see you are running a Dodge that sits much higher than my Ford F450. Our trailer hooked to the truck sits perfectly level with 55psi in the air bags. I always wondered why Heartland didn't use the low profile front A/C.

simon

I had the same problem lost two tires and a third seperated , i think its time hartland steep up and take care of the problem instead of push us to some company in Canada , i had to fork out $1240 for tires just to get home and now i have $2700 in damage to my rig I hope this will be painless getting my money back , Please Hartland steep up before some one gets hert or killed by the cheep tires YOU put on the tralers

Jim.Allison

Where is the "Like" button

I see you are running a Dodge that sits much higher than my Ford F450. Our trailer hooked to the truck sits perfectly level with 55psi in the air bags. I always wondered why Heartland didn't use the low profile front A/C.

Jim.Allison

Use your insurance money to to buy the wheels and tires your really need. Prepare the rig yourself collect $125 per tire from the tire manufacturer and sell your old tire and rims to a landscaper.

I had the same problem lost two tires and a third seperated , i think its time hartland steep up and take care of the problem instead of push us to some company in Canada , i had to fork out $1240 for tires just to get home and now i have $2700 in damage to my rig I hope this will be painless getting my money back , Please Hartland steep up before some one gets hert or killed by the cheep tires YOU put on the tralers

simon

Use your insurance money to to buy the wheels and tires your really need. Prepare the rig yourself collect $125 per tire from the tire manufacturer and sell your old tire and rims to a landscaper.
Why should i use my insurance to cover there problem , if i make a clame it will cost me $500 deductable and three years of incresed payments , sorry but Some needs to pick up the tab and its not me , Please tell me why money came over our safety , I am a Forman at a large shop and we repair trucks and equipment SAFETY is always #1