LED lights and bugs

ILH

I was watching a home reno show on the weekend where they were installing outdoor lighting. The contractor said that LED lighting does not attract bugs (compared to conventional lights). Anybody have experience with this?

Our rig's outdoor light is awful for bugs - thinking this could help.

Hunter11

We have a Star Lights Smart Light 1000 porch light with the Revolution 400 LED bulb and I have replaced our scare light bulbs with the Star Lights Revolution 200 bulbs and we have noticed very few bugs attracted to them compared to the old incandescent bulbs that the trailer came with. So far I would agree with what the contractor said. We also have more light output with this setup.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
If I'm not mistaken, they go to the light because they are looking for heat. Led bulbs don't produce heat.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
There must be something to that because we have the Starlight porch light and a multi-color light strip and neither one attracts bugs.

SeattleLion

I wondered about this. LED's do generate heat. Just touch a ceiling fixture after it has been on a while. But the amount of heat is way lower. Our porch and awing lights are LED's but we haven't been anywhere that has many bugs (one of the good things about the Pacific Northwest), but I look forward to seeing how we do. I thought the light frequency had to do with attracting bugs. That's why those yellow incandescent bulbs don't attract many.

lwmcguir

Our home is completely LED, inside and out including all the security and porch lights. We still have bugs but not as bad as with incandescent bulbs. The attraction seems similar to the yellow bulbs.

stevenssr

When our awning LED's are on, we have to hurry through the door due to bugs since the light is so close to the door. It probably isn't as intense as incandescent bulbs, but we seem to have some.
Scott

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Using a laser thermometer when I first changed ours to LED's, there was at least a 30deg. drop. You can put your hand on the bulb cover and not burn yourself.

All lights in the rig, including some 120V lamps we used are now LED. At home, the high use can lights have been changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

I had been told that LEDs would solve the bug problem but found that the LEDs attracted just about as many bugs as the others and the LED over the door and under a yellow cover still attracts a large number of them. The best solution that I have found is to keep a lantern going away from the door and leave the light over the door and inside the trailer off while we are outside.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have installed the multi-colored led light strip. If there are any bugs around I can change the color to a light yellow or light green or light blue and walla no bugs.