Cyclone 4018 Towing

I am purchasing a 2014 Cyclone 4018 for my business and am wondering what the best two vehicle would be and what owners have actually used to tow it. The cargo weight will be about 2000#. Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

danemayer

Hi Patriot_Multisport,

The 4018 has a GVWR of 18,000 lbs. For planning purposes, you can expect 20% of that weight to rest on the hitch/rear axle of the tow vehicle. Add to that the weight of the hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, passengers, pets and anything else in the truck and you'll need a truck with a payload spec that matches. I would guess you could easily be in the 4,600 lb payload territory.

A 1 Ton (3500/350) dual rear wheel truck will put you in the right zone for both payload (vertical load) and 5th wheel towing capacity (horizontal load).

Check the actual specs on the truck you're looking at, before you buy. Depending on how they're equipped, capabilities vary quite a bit.

If you want to get more precise, check out Fifth Wheel Safe Towing.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Truck...no older that a 2011 350/3500 DRW. The brand is up to you. We try to stay out of the "Ford, Chevy, and Dodge" stuff. Too many people get there feathers ruffled if we dont.