Tire Replacement

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
On our most recent trip we had a tire blow out. Luckily almost no damage. Roadside helped up put on the spare and we continued on our way. But a new trip is nearing and I was unsure the best course of action to take to get me back on the road safely. Had the following questions:

• Do I need to replace all four tires? The existing three don't have much wear although the fact that one has gone might mean other are close. Also I know for cars they recommend replacing them in even numbers (i.e. back together, fronts together) so they ride even. If I can keep some or all of the existing tires I could use that money towards a tire pressure monitoring system so I can hopefully have more information on the condition.
  • If I can just replace the one or the two on the same axle do I need to get the same type of tire as the existing tires? I would like to use this as an opportunity to upgrade to a better quality tire (existing ones are factory). But if I am keeping some of the old tires I didn't know if it would be better for them to match.

Eric

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Get away from the TowMax tires as fast as you can. If your wheels will handle 110psi, get the Goodyear G614 on all four wheels. Search for TowMax on the forum and the numerous incidents will scare you to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbbls59

My Tow Max tires didn't last a year. I replaced them with Sailun S637 g rated tires. These are all steel just like the Goodyear G614 but about $150 less per tire. Goodyear will repair any damage to your trailer in case of a blowout so there is added cost for this insurance. My insurance company will do the same thing and I am already paying for the coverage.

Jim.Allison

UPGRADE. Consider new 17.5 inch wheels and G114 Goodyear tires for the Big Country. But the G614 is a good option as are other LT tires, and you do not have to replace the wheels. 17.5 inch wheels open up a wide range of tires that can handle your load. But both Goodyears are 75 MPH tires. I will never drive my rig 75 mph, but once again it is the design parameters that we are looking for.

To answer your question, you need to seriously consider replacing the other tire on the same side, depending largely how far it rolled after the original blow out.

Your axle distributes the load between the tandem set, to me as long as you stay in the same nominal diameter you will be ok. On a trailer, I do not think that you need to be concerned about replacing in pairs, except if that mating tandem is compromised or or any other tire is compromised. If you upgrade, obviously you would do them all including the spare.

On our most recent trip we had a tire blow out. Luckily almost no damage. Roadside helped up put on the spare and we continued on our way. But a new trip is nearing and I was unsure the best course of action to take to get me back on the road safely. Had the following questions:

• Do I need to replace all four tires? The existing three don't have much wear although the fact that one has gone might mean other are close. Also I know for cars they recommend replacing them in even numbers (i.e. back together, fronts together) so they ride even. If I can keep some or all of the existing tires I could use that money towards a tire pressure monitoring system so I can hopefully have more information on the condition.
  • If I can just replace the one or the two on the same axle do I need to get the same type of tire as the existing tires? I would like to use this as an opportunity to upgrade to a better quality tire (existing ones are factory). But if I am keeping some of the old tires I didn't know if it would be better for them to match.

Eric

MCTalley

Jim pretty much nailed it. I might add that, depending on current funding, I would do the following from cheapest to most expensive:

1. Replace the blown out tire (with something similar like the Sailun) and keep a sharp eye on the other tire on that side.
2. Replace both the blown out tire and the one on that side with something similar (like the Sailun).
3. Replace all 4 with something similar like the Sailuns.
4. Replace all 4 plus spare with something similar like the Sailuns.
5. Replace all 4 with Goodyear G614s and keep the current spare.
6. Replace all 4 and the spare with Goodyear G614s.
etc.

Note that we did step #5 after one of our Towmax tires went flat (it didn't blow out and we suspect we just ran over something), then later bought a fifth G614 to replace the spare.

Depending on where you buy them, G614s will run from $325 to $375 a tire. Sailuns are probably half that. Moving up to 17.5" wheels and Goodyear G114 tires will be in the $2000+ range.

We're extremely happy with our G614s. We've got about 24k miles on them and they have plenty of tread remaining. We also run a TPMS as an extra precaution.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
The Sailun tires look interesting. Although I like the idea of Goodyear (American company that backs their product with a warranty on the trailer) at almost twice the cost it's hard to justify. Especially since a search on this forum and the Internet at large reports good reviews on the tires. Also like dbbls59 said, the extra warranty is redundant since I already have insurance. My next question is where to buy these tires. I checked the websites of the tire dealers near me and they don't indicate they sell that brand. Do I need to go to a RV dealer? Order online? I even tried to visit Sailun's website looking for a dealer locator but didn't see anything. If it helps I am located in Atlanta, GA.

Jim.Allison

Guess again on 17.5 inch wheels and G114 tires, more like 3200 for 5.

The best bet is the 614, I saw those on a heavy rig the other day. The dogs were standing tall and proud under the weight. I'm not going to dismiss the other tires mentioned because I don't know what they are. But you need to check with your insurance company about that tire replacement business, because Liberty Mutual, paid for 100% of my damage but told me up front that they would not pay for the failed tire that caused the damage. Its like the broken water pipe that flooded your house, they pay for the damage but not to repair the pipe. Must be an extra perk that im not paying for, perhaps I should call my agent.

I will tell you this, a good compromise is buy the rims, then look at the assortment of competing tires to the g114. Your problem is being stuck in 16 inch land. Once you get into the 17.5 there is a whole range of tires and brands including the Sailuns...........The 114s are costly but if you don't care about 75 MPH rating, then the michelin is half the money of the 114. Research that angle.

Jim pretty much nailed it. I might add that, depending on current funding, I would do the following from cheapest to most expensive:

1. Replace the blown out tire (with something similar like the Sailun) and keep a sharp eye on the other tire on that side.
2. Replace both the blown out tire and the one on that side with something similar (like the Sailun).
3. Replace all 4 with something similar like the Sailuns.
4. Replace all 4 plus spare with something similar like the Sailuns.
5. Replace all 4 with Goodyear G614s and keep the current spare.
6. Replace all 4 and the spare with Goodyear G614s.
etc.

Note that we did step #5 after one of our Towmax tires went flat (it didn't blow out and we suspect we just ran over something), then later bought a fifth G614 to replace the spare.

Depending on where you buy them, G614s will run from $325 to $375 a tire. Sailuns are probably half that. Moving up to 17.5" wheels and Goodyear G114 tires will be in the $2000+ range.

We're extremely happy with our G614s. We've got about 24k miles on them and they have plenty of tread remaining. We also run a TPMS as an extra precaution.

Miltp920

Stores like Discount tire told me they stop at 10 ply tires. Takes heavy duty machine to mount 14 ply tires. You need to find a tire store that caters to big trucks - farm equipment. I recommend calling a few tire stores and ask them who sells 14 ply tires (after they tell you they don't).

The Sailun tires look interesting. Although I like the idea of Goodyear (American company that backs their product with a warranty on the trailer) at almost twice the cost it's hard to justify. Especially since a search on this forum and the Internet at large reports good reviews on the tires. Also like dbbls59 said, the extra warranty is redundant since I already have insurance. My next question is where to buy these tires. I checked the websites of the tire dealers near me and they don't indicate they sell that brand. Do I need to go to a RV dealer? Order online? I even tried to visit Sailun's website looking for a dealer locator but didn't see anything. If it helps I am located in Atlanta, GA.

Jim.Allison

Industrial tire dealers mount both 17.5 inch and lires like the ones you are talking about they can also balance them. You will find these guy in the industrial side of town not in a strip center next to WalMart. It is also possible to have a truck come to your house to mount them.

Stores like Discount tire told me they stop at 10 ply tires. Takes heavy duty machine to mount 14 ply tires. You need to find a tire store that caters to big trucks - farm equipment. I recommend calling a few tire stores and ask them who sells 14 ply tires (after they tell you they don't).

Kblock108

I had 2 blow outs with the tow max, went with maxxis and tpms...very happy. Also added metal valve stems

Last edited:

Gaffer

If you go with Goodyear, don't assume that the Marathon is any better than the Towmax.
My Tow Max tires didn't last a year. I replaced them with Sailun S637 g rated tires. These are all steel just like the Goodyear G614 but about $150 less per tire. Goodyear will repair any damage to your trailer in case of a blowout so there is added cost for this insurance. My insurance company will do the same thing and I am already paying for the coverage.