TV Mounting in Sundance 2900RK

Want to install an lcd tv in the entertainment unit of our Sundance but unsure as to how to proceed.

I am thinking of using a wall mount or articulated arm mount but unsure of the support underneath the thin panelling at the rear of the entertainment unit.

Can you tell me the best way to install such a mount so that it is installed using a stud or other firm structure solid enough to support the weight?

thanks,

Scott
Redding, Ca.

jbeletti

Hi Scott,

A couple of users here have put in arms, mounts and such and they may weigh in. Search around the Bighorn Entertainment forum too, to see what you can find.

Not seeing your units, I am just speculating, but depending on the weight of the LCD at the end of an articulating arm, I'd want some beefing backer board on the wall.

If that wall board / luan is mounted to the aluminum studs, I would locate those studs and screw a 3/4" thick piece of plywood to luan and into the studs. Not sure the stud spacing but you'd want to try to span across 2 of them. Paint the backer board, stain or or carpet it to match. Add your arm.

Easy for me to say. Good luck.

Jim

linuxkidd

I can tell you how Heartland did it in my '08 Landmark. It has an arm mounted LCD TV in the Living room.

They actually built out away from the main wall with 2x4 stock. Leaving a gap of about 6 inches between the front of the new 2x4 wall and the original wall in the back of the entertainment center. The Center board ( 2x4 ) that the LCD arm mounts to was turned broad ways which I thought a bit strange from a sturdiness point of view, but it seems to hold quite well.

I'm not sure I plan on having the panels loose again any time soon, but if I do I'll take some pics and post them.

Hope this helps!
LK

fishn2dmax

I have the same entertainment center as you do in my 2900 MK. I used a stud finder and was able to locate a wooden wall studs at the back of the opening. Using a piece of matching 3/4 oak veneer and stained plywood over the top of the thin luan, I secured it across the rear and screwed into two studs as a mounting block for the LCD TV mounting arm. I attached the arm to the block and then to the 26" LCD TV. When traveling, I push the LCD panel into the opening and secure it with velco straps to keep it from moving it and out. When parked, I pull the LCD panel outward and can adjust it to the desired viewing angle in the coach.

JohnL

Sundance Product Manager
Hey Scott, congrats on the LCD, there is a Backer on that wall to do a mount, i would measure the screws or bolts that come with you TV to make sure they don't go thrugh the wall. But again there is a backer in that wall, we have an option for a 26" LCD that we use there. Thanks John SD Manager

bpalpaca

Mounting LCD

I have the same question for mounting an LCD TV in the entertainment center but on an 09 3300SK. Can you please tell me what options are availabale with this model considering the entertainment center is in the slide?
Thanks,
Dana

JohnL

Sundance Product Manager
Dana, on the 3300SK it will take a 19" LCD, either you leave it on a base or (this could be a pain in the rear) you could build a wall in the entertainment center (it was built for a tube TV) and mount the LCD on it so it is just inside the box????... if your good with your hands and wood, the fake wall could hold the LCD and you could make storage behind it for DVD's or CD's or whatever.
let me know of your progress and how you do it and i can pass on to others. Thanks John SD Manager

StevieWonder

One thing you'll find is that the space Heartland designed for the TV was decided without any regard to the actual dimensions of the TVs in the marketplace. In my '08 2800RLS, the TV cabinet was enclosed which dramatically limited the TV selections. The new design opened the space up, a HUGE improvement, but if you have the old style, you'll find that the facings on the front cabinets hide a good portion of the potential screen area so that 32" unit is a waste.

After lots of research, I followed the Consumer Reports advice and purchased a 26" Vizio LCD. It was cheaper and has 98% of the performance of the top rated units that cost upwards of two times as much. It was a great fit with the entire screen area being visible (my preference, the 32" unit, had the outside 1" on each side hidden behind the cabinet facings). The base on the Vizio is essentially an elliptical metal plate with a black plastic cover.

I agree with previous posters that the back/side/top walls of the area are not strong enough to support the weight of the TV without some significant structural modifications. You can do all this other stuff they mention, but I elected to simply drill two mounting holes through the TV base and the cabinet using flat washers on both ends to keep the bolts from pulling thru either the TV base or the cabinet. (I painted the bolt heads with black gloss paint to make them nearly invisible) MUCH sturdier than using the sides/back/top of the TV space without additional carpentry and structural modifications and you won't have to buy the relatively expensive wall mounting units. BTW, an IMPORTANT note, those wall mount units aren't meant for the dynamic stress of the weight of the TV loading/unloading the arm with natural movement in the travel trailer during transport.

The TV is rock-solid stable. No relatively expensive wall-mount assembly to buy or carpentry/staining work. One electric drill, one bit, two bolts/washers/nuts and a dash of black gloss paint. 15 minutes max. My mounting method is cheap, easy, effective and structurally sound although it is not trendy high-tech.

bpalpaca

Thanks for the info. John. This is kind of what I was thinking but I will give it some more thought and let you know what I come up with. A tube tv is kind of obsolete anymore when it comes to rv living so we won't be using one of those. Not only too large but too heavy...
Dana

charliehorse

I mounted a 23" LCd with a Wal-Mart articulating arm on my Sun Dance 2900RK . The north wall had a very solid bace in the center (for a TV ?) LCD went in/on perfect. (This is where the factory LCD would be mounted ) When traveling, we tuck it next to the wall & stuff in 3 sofa decorator pillows to absorb the bounce if any - 14K miles later - no problem.

Milder

TV Mounting pics in 2900RK

Hey charliehorse,

how about some detailed pics of the bracket you have mounted on the north wall. I have been wanting to do the same thing, but have a couple of concerns......

Thanks

charliehorse

I am a little "techno challenged" on pixs - however I used a Vuepoint # FPM107SF-B1 - from Wal Mart. I "centered" the mounting bracket both horizontally and vertically on the north wall over the cabinet - this is exactly where the factory LCD goes - there is a vertical stud just for that purpose - you will be fine. I do pack in the sofa decorator cushions to take the "bounce" out when traveling ..happy trails ...