Cat urine on couch cushions

Over the winter, our kitty somehow got locked in the camper for a couple of weeks. Out of the whole camper for her to use as her bathroom she decided to use the small couch in our slide that also contains our pull out bed. We have treated and treated and treated and the smell will not go. Of course this couch at attached to the slide and the cushions can not be removed.

any helpful tips? Besides replacement...

kkamshop

So sorry to hear about your problem! If your couch is like ours, the cushions come off in big sections - flip the foldout bed open and look for plastic "clips" that are sewn to the cushions and fasten to the metal framing. They just pull off and the cushion can be removed. I discovered this when I got tired of the upholstery and decided to recover the couch.
Good luck!

Manzan

There is an enzyme you can get from a pet store that is made especially for cat urine. Does a great job, but on the slow side. Needs to be put on so it soaks as deep as the urine did. Sold it to a lot of rental agents for a variety of reasons. They still usually had to replace carpet and pad but did not have to replace flooring. (You would be surprised at what some renters do!) Or maybe not.

@kkamshop... I will fold out bed and have a look. I am hoping this is the case.
@manzan... We have treated with natures miracle and that doesn't seem to work. Which enzyme killer have you recommended? (I have seen first hand what renters are capable of doing, it amazes me).

thanks for the suggestions. I will let you know.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
DW uses a product available at pet stores called "Nature's Miracle" when the dogs have a mishap. It seems to work pretty well. Trace

Last edited:

Manzan

What I sold was Odormute. If I remember right, it came in a couple of formulas but what we sold was 'industrial' strength. Even worked on skunk odor and could be applied to a dog or cat that ran afoul of a skunk. I had not heard of Nature's Miracle before and looked it up. Saw a lot of complaints about it not working. It should from what I read. Two things--you have to soak whatever enzyme product you use thoroughly into whatever you are trying to deodorize and let it air dry for at least two days. Never had a problem when properly applied. I closed the store and retired in 2000 so had to do a bit of dredging in this old brain of mine to bring up info.

Crumgater

We use "Simple Solution", and have also used Natures Miracle... both do best if you can hit the spot before it dries. After it dries, we haven't had luck with completely removing cat urine smell... we've lost a few good rugs to our old cat.

I'm going to look up the Odormute! Hope it does the trick for you!

Jim.Allison

It just depends on how much she used that spot. Back ground, I used to have a terible problem with skunks. And a couple of times a year my dog would tangle with one. The smell would get into everything (we lived in a house built in 1906, so it was fairly open to drafts. Once my dog got into the house just after he tangled with at skunk. He rubbed himself on a rug we had among other things before we could get him back outside.

Because of that we learned that most of grandmas home remedies are just myths perpetrated by those that scrubbed it out finally, and want to tell you their special secret.

I know the secret. You must oxidize the cat urine. This will require you to moisten the area with plain water, tehn vacuume it. Dont get it wet, just moisten it. Keep doing this until your white rag gets cleaner when you dab it. you will have to do this several times. You might need to put in a few drops of a mild dishwashing soap into your water. Now here comes the real part of the secret. Sunshine!!!!! Sunshine is an oxidizer, just like bleach. Leave it in the sunshine for a couple of days. The UV rays will break up those molecules that is causing it to stink. You might have to repeat this process a few times and it may take 3 or 4 days. But sunshine will beat up those smelly molecules.

I hope this helps........

Over the winter, our kitty somehow got locked in the camper for a couple of weeks. Out of the whole camper for her to use as her bathroom she decided to use the small couch in our slide that also contains our pull out bed. We have treated and treated and treated and the smell will not go. Of course this couch at attached to the slide and the cushions can not be removed.

porthole

Retired

Have had cats all my life. I think your only real answer after a couple of weeks of "use" is replacement.

Even if you get it to the point you think you have removed all the odor, a good warm and damp day or after being closed up for next winter you will mostly likely be reminded that there is still an issue.

Jim.Allison

I dont know, but I think it is perfectly reasonable to think that your kitty disappeared as opposed being locked in the trailer. Im sure you felt bad about it. We have farm cats and they disappear for months then come back all beat up. The first time I witnessed this I was amazed.

If your cat urine problem is not cured right away with what I suggested then you will have to replace to mitigate.