What should you do after taking delivery of new trailer

On 7/25/14, I take delivery of a 2011 Heartland Sundance. I checked the trailer closely and purchased a warranty since the trailer is three years old. The exterior sides and roof appear to be in excellent shape. What would other people do to protect their investment? Should I treat the rubber roof with a rubber roof treatment and wax it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Clean the roof with Dawn dish soap only, no sealers. Yes cleaning the sides and waxing is a great idea. Some people say NOT the wax the decals...some say its OK. People have used 303 protectant on decals and swear by it.

If its not too late, decline on the warranty you bought and look into Good Sams warranties and roadside service. They are the best bang for the buck.

Have fun and make memories with the Sundance.

GOTTOYS

I totally agree with Bob. Most aftermarket warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on. Read all the find print and what it doesn't cover and I think you will agree. Check all the caulking on the roof and touch it up if needed....Don

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
And then go camping :). Enjoy that new (to you) home away from home.

Ladiver

Go use it! Then come back here to ask about anything that did not work the way you thought it should. Oh and get rid of the Towmax tires, if that is what you have.

campers2

Not needed. Just regular cleaning and check all roof openings for cracked caulk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate all the great advice. Too late on the warranty. Had HUGE problems with the Montana and didn't want to take a chance. I'm surprised at the recommendation to use Dawn soap, but will take your advice. This forum is a little over whelming, but I'll sort it out.

Steve

Jim.Allison

Probably not too late on the warranty, if you bought it you might find that you can get your money back as long as it is not in effect. The extended warranty probably does not take effect for 1 or 2 years. I have to decide soon whether or not Im going to ask for a refund on my policy. I have been behind the basement wall and have discovered that there is no voodoo going on back there.

Appreciate all the great advice. Too late on the warranty. Had HUGE problems with the Montana and didn't want to take a chance. I'm surprised at the recommendation to use Dawn soap, but will take your advice. This forum is a little over whelming, but I'll sort it out.

Steve

Jim.Allison

Where is the "Like button?" LOL, I was hoping he would take the hint on this, without anyone bringing it up.........Got my Towmax response to my claim today. Guess what? I'm going to get a free tire.....whoops nothing free about it. I give up. Selling them to my landscaper for his utility trailer.

Check to make sure the tires were balanced (if you plan on travelling) as sometimes its missed.

Gaffer

Check the torque on your lug nuts and u-bolts. If you don't have or can't borrow a 1/2" drive torque wrench, Harbor Freight has one cheap that will work for this purpose.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you cant get out the warranty you bought...so be it. I would do as Jim stated, cancel it as soon as possible. Do yourself a favor....call Good Sam and compare apples and apples. Their "Gold" plan is outstanding on what it covers. Good Sam roadside assistance is a good thing to have. Call your insurance co. and see if they will tow both units if your truck stops running in the middle of nowhere. Allstate will not...they leave your coach along side the road. Can't beat it for $90 a year.

Jim.Allison

Yes, they have to refund the unused portion. Since mine does not go into effect I can get a full refund.

BTW, once I visited behind the basement wall, I found out there are no ghost behind there and all is well within my capability to repair. I have not done it yet but going to get a refund on the policy.

gasman

Camp Socializer
Clean the roof with Dawn dish soap only, no sealers. Yes cleaning the sides and waxing is a great idea. Some people say NOT the wax the decals...some say its OK. People have used 303 protectant on decals and swear by it.

If its not too late, decline on the warranty you bought and look into Good Sams warranties and roadside service. They are the best bang for the buck.

Have fun and make memories with the Sundance.

What Bob really means is have your WIFE wash the roof and wax the sides!