Damage to Bighorn

bighorn3370

It's been a long time since I was on the forum, but this is how the weekend went. Thursday night the credit card company called, my wife's card was compromised. On Friday, we get going later then normal for a trip. This was the first long trip with our son. About 1-1/2 hours, he was getting cranky, so we pulled off the road to let him walk around a bit. When we started to get back on the road, a lady walks across the street asking me if I have a four-way wrench. I said no, but I had tools. So I changed the flat on a horse trailer. She offered me some money or beer to say thanks, but I told her it wasn't necessary. She gave my wife $20 when I wasn't looking. I figured that If I did this nice thing for the people in need that we'd have good karma for the rest of our trip. When we arrived at the place we are staying at, I could not park the RV in its normal spot; I had to pull it around back. That's when the trees got me. One roof vent broken and a tear in the roof. The rest of the weekend went well. On the way home, one of the great Mission tires threw the tread off. Changed another tire on the side of I-75. We made it the rest of the way home safe. So what's the best thing to seal the roof with? Thanks!

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG photo.JPG

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't know that anyone still had Mission tires on their rigs.
Oh well.
If that were my roof, the I would patch that with Eternabond Tape and they use some Dicor self leveling caulk over the edge of the patch.
You will need to clean the roof though.

Peace
Dave

whp4262

Dicor also makes a rubber roof patch kit and they have a youtube video showing how to use it. You can buy the kit from Camping World.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

Yes eternabond, Dicor is optional IMHO. Buy the 6 in wide tape in 5, 10, 20 feet. Make your own patches throw the rest in your tool cabinet. I cleaned mine with mommas Dawn dishwashing soap, rinsed thoroughly let it dry and wiped it down with 90% isopropyl rubbing alcohol from walmart. The stuff is a good product and it is what they say it is.

mobilcastle

X2 for eternabond tape.Good luck with your repair.
I didn't know that anyone still had Mission tires on their rigs.
Oh well.
If that were my roof, the I would patch that with Eternabond Tape and they use some Dicor self leveling caulk over the edge of the patch.
You will need to clean the roof though.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Although the tire took your trim, it doesn't sound like it got the brakes or other systems. So maybe you did get a little Karma payback. Roof and vent look like easy, albeit not desired, repairs.

porthole

Retired
2008 Bighorn - Mission tires ? original tires?

On your roof patch, one of the hints we got at a seminar was to run a bead of the Dicor roof sealant along the leading edge of the patch.

bighorn3370

Right now, I have a tarp over the roof. I am hoping that it does not rain this weekend so I can fix the tear. I will post a picture when done.

Dave, I have about three thousand miles on them. I have kept them covered and aired up to 80 psi. My plan was to replace them in the spring, as they still look new. I guess should not have gambled.

John, you are right. Thing could have been a lot worse.

Thanks for all the advice!