Gateway 3650BH w/residential fridge forward compartment on entry side

Kosanko

Hello all,

When we purchased our 3650BH w/residential fridge we asked the salesman what the front cargo compartment on the entry side was for since it was empty with no bottom and an exterior lock. He explained that the units without the residential fridge had the coach battery in the compartment but since we had the inverter our batteries were located in the front.

I was just wondering what anyone has done with this compartment? maybe install an on-board air compressor, extra LP tank, portable generator? Any creative smart use ideas will help, I hate to see a good storage area be wasted.

thanks in advance

Turtlpwr

I just took our first extended trip in our 3650BH to San Diego and was contemplating the same thing. I was thinking about bolting a couple of pieces of wood and making that the storage compartment for all of the leveling supplies but haven't quite decided on what I want to do with that space yet. I'll be interested to see what others have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GWRam

e8da0a10e08ec8896d9a871845e14ae0.jpg

Put aluminum diamond plate bottom in ours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justafordguy

I filled in the bottom last weekend and sealed it up with the black expanding foam like the factory uses around the pipes. I think it will make a great storage spot for the portable grill.

GWRam

I filled in the bottom last weekend and sealed it up with the black expanding foam like the factory uses around the pipes. I think it will make a great storage spot for the portable grill.

Justafordguy,

Curious, what did you use as the bottom? did you use the existing batt box bracing or modify a new support? and where did you find black expanding foam? I've found white and orange but not black foam.

Dave

GWRam

Do you happen to have the dimensions for that compartment?

The wheels are turning in my head....

LIREALRE06210,

The tray I had made is 25 1/2" x 12" flat area with a 1" lip on the fore, aft and outer edges. I didn't have a lip made on the inner edge since it is up against the frame.
The dimensions of the inner compartment are at the base 25 3/4" x 12 1/4" and since the forward wall leans forward, opens up to 31 3/4" x 12 1/4" at the top. A few inches above the tray the upper part of the I frame protrudes giving you a useful depth of 11" from I frame to the wall by the hatch door.
Hope that helps.

Dave

justafordguy

Mine didn't turn out as fancy as Dave's did:cool:. I just used 5/8 pressure treated plywood and painted it black to match the rest of the inside. Then I sealed it up with the black foam so water from the road won't get in there. I got the black spray foam from Amazon. I think it's made by great stuff. It's for landscaping like fountains so it's waterproof and UV protected.