Anyone using storage comparment slide-out tray?

jbeletti

Anyone here using a slide-out tray in their Landmark?

I knew I didn't want one from the start. Now that I have used my trailer for nearly a season, I am re-thinking that.

I might consider a fill width slide-out tray. What is everyone elses thoughts and experiences?

Jim

davebennington

We have the slide-out tray option in our Golden Gate. So far it has worked out fine the only draw back that I have found is that you have to climb over it to get to the utilities area.

Dave:)

jbeletti

Good point Dave. Thanks.

I was looking at the Kwikee Super Slide. It comes in varying depths. It's more of a kit where you add your floor to it so you determine the width. I was thinking that a shorter depth unit on each side would give me more flexibility, but to Dave's point, it would also make it harder to access the utility area. With 1 long depth slide, I could pull it out to full extension and access the floor from the other side and then access the utility area.

I also like the battery tray. With 2 Trojan T-105 6 volt batteries in my plastic battery tray, I don't feel as safe as I'd like too. I want a stable, safe platform for battery watering/maintenance.

Jim

Attachments

• superslide.jpg
    superslide.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 84
  • batray.jpg
    batray.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 82

Cheryl

We don't have one. We got our unit off the lot. Nelson plans on making his own and also a shelf to have two levels of storage.

BluegrassMan

Slide Out Tray (from Landmark)

Hi everyone:

I bought the tray because I thought it would be much better. WELL let me tell you, the very first time out in the Grand Canyon, I loaded up for the weekend. I didn't have much in there, everything was in those plastic tubs with the interlocking flaps on the top, chairs, tri-pod, etc.

I was sure that everything was secured. I chose NOT to lock the locks, the doors are SO tight I have to put my butt against them to turn the key. Big Mistake !!!!!!! When I arrived at my site, I did a large circle to pull in. About half way around the circle I looked back in the mirror. HOLY CRAP !!!! :eek: the tray was hanging out all the way !!!! I was looking just in time to see the tray hit the spare tire of a motor home !!

The tray is laying on my garage floor, I have torn it apart now I have to try and straighten it back out and re-install it I guess.

I was thinking what a piece of S_ _ _ the tray is.:( It's kind of flimsy to me.
for the money and all. Well that's my $.02 worth. Denny

jbeletti

Denny,

I have read on other forums about this happening on other trailers. Bad news for sure. I wonder if these things need better locking mechanisms or something. I also read about people making their own drop-in bolt/drift-pin style locking pins to further secure them.

I wonder if this is what sets different manufacturers apart? What brand of slide-out storage tray was used in your Landmark?

I have found Kwikee and Joey Bed brands online. I really want to do something to better organize and access the stuff I store. A lot of it is in those clear totes with the blue lids from Sams/Costco. Other stuff is longer like tents, chairs, lawn ornaments, patio rug, grill, grill cart, 20# LP tank for grill etc.

I'm thinking about a 2 level unit. Sounding pretty expensive though.

Best of luck fixing yours.

Jim

Cheryl

I'm thinking about a 2 level unit. Sounding pretty expensive though.
That is what Nelson plans to do for ours, but he will build his own. Less expense and since he will decide on the materials, better quality.

C

Craig Marten

Shelf in the basement

I found a great design for a pull out tray complete with pictures that was home made. Found it on open roads forum. What I liked about it was it was not as massive as the steel trays.

I added a shelf in the storage compartment for light items that are not used frequently. I bought a 16" wire shelf at Lowes. I added a 1 x 2 wood strip on each side to give the shelf rigiditiy. I extended it down from the ceiling with 1/4" all thread 12" long. I attached the all thread to the ceiling 2" aluminum tubes using 2" galvanized u shaped plates that are used for patio construction.

I plan to build the pull out over the winter when I can't use the 5th wheel.

Rick

Hey jim I read your post about what you store in the storage area and was wondering if you had tried using an adapter, where you can run your gas grill from your RV tanks. I have one and it works like a charm. Saves a little on weight and storage. Rick & Sandi (TIN CAN TOURISTS)

jbeletti

Hi Rick,

I considered the gas lineTee from the trailer LP system to power the grill but figured I'd try without first. I am using the Weber Baby Q with the LP gas tank adapter hose and use a 20# tank with it. After using it on a half dozen outings thus far, I like the flexibility of putting the grill wherever I want/need.

It would be nice to not lug a 20# tank around but for me, even nicer to not have to grill so close to the trailer and under the awning and such. Options, options - gotta love it.

Oh, I just remembered - I had LP gas leaks around the regulators in my LP gas compartments. The factory fixed them when I was there, but I'd rather not add anymore connections like a Tee to run my grill. More connections to potentially eak IMHO.

Thanks Rick.

Jim

BluegrassMan

Landmark's slide-out tray RE

Hi Jim and others:

I can't remember exactly what brand the tray is. But I do know how it is built.:confused:

A side with rollers and a stationary piece for each side, three small braces across, two end pieces, and last but not least a 3' x 7' approximately, 1/4" plywood bottom covered in gray felt. which is held in place with self tapping trim screws. It looked nice, but won't hold much weight.:rolleyes:

I'll fix it and put it back in, knowing what the limitations of it are. At least I didn't damage the trailer, I should have had Heartland fix it. But I knew that I hadn't locked my doors, I'll take the blame and I will put a pin or something in for safety. The bad part of it all was a guy in a little 5ver watching me do all this, he was out of yelling range.:eek:

I showed my friends my brand new Landmark with pride, I just didn't open the cargo door for very long. Tee -Hee !:p

jbeletti

Denny,

I'll try to find out the brand/model used in the Landmarks.

From what I read on the JoeyBeds, they "seem" pretty strong. They also require 3/4" plywood for the floor (supplied by purchaser).

Jim

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi Jim
Just a line to let you know that I have been using the LP tank adaptor from camping world for about a year now, no leaks, and you can buy a twelve foot hose to get the grill away from the fiver. I buddy of mine uses two hoses connected together, his tanks are on the drivers side of the trailer. So far no problems with that set up either.

As for the pull out tray, I built one out of plywood. the slides are 40" heavy duty Accu-ride. I also divided the front compartment into two sections by putting a piece of plywood between the front half and the main basement area. On the front side I installed the heavy duty KV brackets and the wire shelving that can be bought from Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

I will try and get some pictures to post in the next couple of days.

Glenn

jbeletti

Glenn,

Thanks for the LP tank info. Something to think about if I get tired of lugging the 20 pounder around.

Your trays sound interesting. Can you post a couple of pics? Where did you source the Accuride slides in that length?

Thanks,

Jim

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I purchased the slide-out tray as an option on my Big Horn and so far, I like it (one trip). I will drill a hole for a pin, though.

Chuck

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I had thought about buying a small chest-type freezer to put in the middle of a slide-out tray when I buy my Landmark/BigHorn. I say in the middle so the weight of the freezer won't be held up when I slide the tray out to remove other items stored there in boxes. And thats also assuming that I can get a long enough cord on a freezer to reach from the plug to the middle of the slide.

jbeletti

I was thinking about somthing similar - a short cube fridge for pop/water when the kids are camping with us.

I read a post on 5thwheelforums.com from a MobileSuites owner who has a small fridge in their basement storage area.

You should be able to use a heavy enough gauge short extension cord to make it to the outlet.

You may have to use a spring or bungee near the fridge/freezer back to the bulkhead wall near the top to take up the cord slack when pushed all the way in. I've used a lot of rack-mounted electronics in my job (a couple decades ago) and remember how we did the wiring to allow for front pull-out rack slides of our gear.

Let us know if you end up doing this (pics too).

Jim

BluegrassMan

Putting a freezer on the tray

Ya'll better look at the structure of the tray first. If you have the one that Landmark is putting in, you may want to re-think that one. 1/4 inch plywood,held in by 1/2" long screws, light duty braces under the board.:confused:

Denny

Tom of Ypsi

Saw one of those fridges last week outside of a 5ver sitting on a small sturdy table low enough for the kids to reach. The fridge had a clear front to see what you wanted before opening the door. He had beer on one shelf, soda on another, juice boxes for the kids on another and water and wine on another. It was light weight so putting it back into the basement or the back of a truck would not be a problem.

BluegrassMan

Brand of slide out tray

Hi everyone:

Jim had asked me what brand of tray it was, here goes. It's called a Quick Draw, from LTM Mfg. for Lippert Component Inc. This appears on a round yellow sticker on the side of my BENT tray arm.:mad: This is what Landmark is using.