Interior Wall "PIMPLES"

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I have discovered where what appears to be "PIMPLES" forming on my interior wall under a double pane window. Attached picture shows several of these anomalies. They started out as two and now have multiplied to about a dozen or so of all different sizes. First thought to be screw heads or tips but amount now being detected is about a dozen of all different sizes. 2014-07-21 16.23.50.jpg

jbeletti

Jim,

This is generally an indication of moisture behind the panel. Sounds like a water leak. It may not be leaking at the panel, rather, that may be the low spot water is migrating too.

murry135

Thats what I was afraid of hearing. I had the coach inspected in the sprinf by my dealer for the 2 plus 5 warranty. Guess I need to followup with dealer and HL.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Looks like our rear wall when we were within our 1 year warranty. HL authorized repair, and I can't tell where/how they did it, but 3 years later no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murry135

Now that puts a smile on my face. Was it moisture involvment or inferior wall board and where was repairs done, at dealership or back in Elkhart?

TravelTiger

Local dealer did the repair. Never said the "cause". At the time we had a list of warranty work and some body work as well from a run-in with a pole, so it took a while. I recall "getting the parts" took the longest.

murry135

Thanks TravelTiger, I started the notification and documentation with my dealership this morning and waiting for a response back. Hopefully I can put off repairs until winter time for I store unit at my dealership during winter months.

jbeletti

Jim - starting the process with the dealer is a good first step. Let me suggest that you don't wait until the end of the camping season to dig into the coach to find the source. It's possible that you have a sealant void on the roof/gutter area, somewhere, where water is getting in during rain. When water gets into the roof/ceiling, it runs down, finds a low spot.

I recall an issue an owner had a few years ago where their wall was similar and the carpet was wet too. It was in the rear cap area below one of the narrow side windows. They were sure it was a window seal issue. The caulked, recaulked and finally pulled the window, resealed and reinstalled. No help. The issue was up on the roof where they had done their own recaulking as part of routine maintenance. Inadvertently, they had created a small water dam with sealant, around the void. Water pooled there and ran in. It ran down the inside of their roof and found a spot to exit down the wall near that window.

So, hard to find, but speed is key so as to minimize additional damage.

I suggest you have the roof and gutter areas inspected very thoroughly and as soon as practical. Also, familiarize yourself with Sealtech. It may be worth asking your dealer to do Sealtech testing on your coach. Many dealers have the gear to do it.

murry135

"PIMPLE" update:
Yesterday I decided to look around for a possible source of a leak causing my interior wall "PIMPLES." Since a majority of them are under a window towards threar of the coach I immediatetly looked at the of doorside rear window but found no obvivous area which water can get in. So I went to the roof and looked around up there. Now here is what I found. On the side of the camper running the full lenght is a so call gutter to catch water run off and direct it to each of the four corners, still with me? AT the rear corner of the off doorside gutter I notice a large batch of caulking obstructing water run off, sealing end of decorative plastic covering and extending down spout. I picked at some of the excess caulk and I notice water to run out of the channel. Hummmm, sunny day no rain in days and water retention. Further exploration I found water pooled and retained behind the plastic strip that covers screws that hold gutter to coach, started to remove plastic covering and water poured steady out. Once water behind plastic covering was drained I saw where about the first 6 srcews holding the gutter on were covered with green mold and a visible space was seen between screw head and channel. Light bulb went on, I think I got something here. Drained all water out allowed channel to dry and tighten all loose scres up gutter channel and caulk over the first 6-8 screws heads from end of channel. Cleanned out all excess caulking blocking drainaige under plastic cap and gutter and replace cover back in track. Now I hope and pray for water intrustion to be corrected. I believe the water trapped behind gutter channel decorative cap was infiltrating from screw holes and into particle board resulting in "PIMPLES." Now how do I get rid of the interior "PIMPLES," used a wallpaper edge roller to roll down hard raised "PIMPLES" resulting in a 85% reduction in visible "PIMPLES" and reducing the raised large "PIMPLES." Well this morning all looks good and it is raining now, probably won't know results for several days or so. Will keep post updated with results.

TravelTiger

I would still contact HL and dealer, so it's "on record" that you had this issue-- just in case it gets worse or there is some unseen damage that surfaces later. Yes, caulk is your responsibility. But you had a "warranty-required check" by the dealer recently, which should have included caulking, so some of the responsibility was theirs as well.

porthole

Retired
Any chance those bumps were there for some time and you just never noticed them?
They were very hard bumps and water intrusion usually makes structure and trim soft.

And did you look on the other wall I told you about?

murry135

Duane,
Could not find other area you told me. Only see and feel spots that are left of the entertainment center on offdoorsie under rear side window.

JB,
I did not read your reply until after I found what I believe to be the source and it is in line with your post. Removed excess caulk that formed dam, cleaned and dried area and caulked screw holes and reapplied decorative screw cover strip. Also did same to opposite side. WIll check them this weekend and see if new ones appeared.

TravelTiger,
HL and dealership notified, pictures sent to document and confirmations received back regarding issue.

Thanks everyone will update this weekend.

jbeletti

Jim,

Great investigative work. One time, a few years back, I recall an owner that had a leak where the water was following the screws from the gutter, into the roof. In that case, the owner said there was no butyl tape behind the gutter for the screws to go through, thereby sealing them. I'm not sure what the standard construction practice is. Happy to hear you have contacted Heartland and/or your dealer.

As for repairing the wall, most people don't know this, but the interior decor also comes in rolls of contact paper and seam tape. I suggest you check with Heartland on availability.

Once you know you can get it, I suggest sanding wall to remove the pimples, clean it good, dry it and apply the self-adheasive contact paper - or have Crossroads take care of it all.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Another thought on taking care of you wall zits here.
If it does need to be fixed, before getting too radical, I might try to pop the pimples with a pin, squeeze any water out that may be in there and then take an iron or hair dryer to try and re-activate the adhesive.
Then try to press the pimple flat.
Might work.

Peace
Dave

murry135

Two great ideas JB and Cookie. Will look at them this Friday when I am back at coach. Will update over the weekend as to my findings. THanks again guy's for your input.

murry135

OK, two weeks since my research and find of a water leak via roof top gutter damming. Re-Cap, "PIMPLES" developing on inside ODS wall located by couch under ODS rear side window. Located source as dammed roof gutter with water intrusion through mounting screws. Fix, remove plastic decorative strip removed and cleaned screws, track, dried and resealed screw holes and re-assymbled. Inside I rolled "PIMPLES with wall paper seam roller, applied heat from hair dryer and repeated a few times until happy with surface. As time pasted over the repair site remaining marks slowly disappeared and area of damage caused by water intrusion just about 100%. Very happy with out come and an easy fix.

porthole

Retired
Jim, are you convinced the bumps were water caused?
For any type of water damage I have seen the damage that was evident by "pimples" or blisters were much softer then what I saw in your trailer.

murry135

Duane,

I am convinced that the "PIMPLES" were water intrusion. I know what you are saying about water and soft spots but I think what happened here is the luan or glue bistered and raised up and thats why they were hard. Since repair all has laid down nicely. Can't find any other spots not sure where you telling me there were others. Guess when I see next time you can look and see if I missed any.

Jim