Front cap damage

Kblock108

I had some wood fly up and scratch my front cap (some scratches are a little deep and it looks like a screw got in pretty deep). I am doing an insurance claim, anyone know if they can repair and blend (the cap has the common fading) or will the whole thing get re done. I know normally with a car they can blend in the color, but a faded cap?

donr827

I would wait on putting a claim in with your insurance unless you know for sure the cost to repair is more then your deductible. A fiberglass repair place could do the job. Boat repair shops are a good choice.........Don

Jim.Allison

Not all comprehensive claims have a deductible. My recent blowmax damage was paid in full. I had $2k damage and they paid $2k.

I would wait on putting a claim in with your insurance unless you know for sure the cost to repair is more then your deductible. A fiberglass repair place could do the job. Boat repair shops are a good choice.........Don

John T Bettencourt

Very hard to blend in color on a faded cap. You will pick it right out when looking at it after its done. I would say paint the whole cap with base coat clear coat and it will shine like new.

GOTTOYS

Your cap is probably colored gel coat not painted. Unless you paint the whole cap you will never match it and why would you not want to paint all of it? It's just going to keep fading and look worse and worse. If the cap was painted to start with it could be blended. Mine was faded and looked awful. I had it painted with a base coat/ clear coat system. Now the rear cap is turning white. I will never buy anything with colored gel coat again...
4 years old and it looks like a piece of junk...Don

donr827

Not all comprehensive claims have a deductible. My recent blowmax damage was paid in full. I had $2k damage and they paid $2k.
It is very unusual to have a policy without any deductible. In your type of case the amount of damage would justify a claim. Claims go on your records, even comprehensive claims, can effect the price of a quote if you try to buy new insurance in the next few years, I had a client canceled by the insurance company because of the number of claims submitted............Don

DonnyB007

It is very unusual to have a policy without any deductible. In your type of case the amount of damage would justify a claim. Claims go on your records, even comprehensive claims, can effect the price of a quote if you try to buy new insurance in the next few years, I had a client canceled by the insurance company because of the number of claims submitted............Don

With our insurance, the first claim is a freebie and does not effect our insurance. The second claim it does effect your rates. The third claim, they will pay, but drop you as a client. So if at all possible, I repair everything myself. Last year, my son put a dent in our Prius's back plastic bumper and I repaired that one to give you an idea. So for me anyway, I would not even think if making an insurance claim for the damage you indicated - or I would get a friend to fix it (he's good at that stuff).

Jim.Allison

Liability claims result in increases in premium. Insurance companies try to resist raising rates based on comprehensive claims. This is not to say they won't. But it also makes a difference if your claim is rooted in something that is your fault such as you hitting a curb or running over a sign. A blowout due to manufacturer defect, or a collision with a road hazard is unavoidable as is a hail storm, and is not likely to raise your rate.

But people run their finances the way they see fit. I just think it is very expensive insurance policy that is not collected on. The article I read indicates that 3 comprehensive claims in 3 years MIGHT result in an increase in premium or cancellation. A brief conversation with your agent will answer these questions. I have talked to my agent prior to talking to claims just to avoid filing a claim for which I would not be successful. I usually tell him what happened and ask what he knows about similar scenarios. If I'm satisfied that I can file a successful claim then I proceed. Do not expect your agent to talk about anything but scenarios. If you approach him about your specific case he will tell you that he cannot talk specifically about your claim.

I was surprised that my insurance company waved my deductible on that claim, it was totally unexpected. When I get some time, I will look at my policy to see how it came about. I dont care how good your insurance co is, they will never pay anything they are not required to pay for by your contract. They do not give gifts that is for sure.