Reese 18K Signature Series - Advice?

Trey

We are looking to buy the 18K Reese Signature Series fifth wheel hitch for our 2004 2500HD Duramax. Will be pulling the 3300RL Big Country 2009.

With the advertised 88 degree turn radius by Heartland, I was wondering if the slider option for the hitch would really be necessary. I have the 6 foot bed on the truck.

Any advice appreciated, as this is our first fifth wheel and hitch setup.

Trey & Rene"

2009 3300RL Big Country
2004 2500HD Duramax LLY
Huntsville, Alabama

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
With the Heartland front cap allowing the 88 degree turning radius you should not need a sliding hitch. Good luck with your BH.

Dogs-Life

Reese hitch with slider

I have the Reese 18K Signature series hitch, with the slider option, on my 2006 Dodge Ram pickup pulling a 2007 Sundance. I do not have to use the slider often, but it has come in handy at times. I have gotten into a couple of tight spots where I needed the extra turning room. Also, I find that I can back the trailer easier when I lock the slider in the back position. Maybe this is because I have a lot more experience with a travel trailer than I do with a 5th wheel and like having the trailer a little farer back. I do have a small dent in the truck roofline where the trailer touched during a sharp turn. I believe it happened while turning sharp in the forward motion rather than when I was backing into a spot.

While the Heartland trailers have a good turning radius on the short bed trucks, I like having the option for a tighter turn. I figured that the extra cost for the slide hitch wasn't much when spread over the life of the trailer and truck.

WesternNC

I have the Draw-Tite 18K signature hitch which is the same hitch. I have never had to use the slider. However, I bought the slider because if my next camper is not a Heartland I did not want to have to buy a new hitch. Also, you never know when you might have to help a friend move their trailer and you might need it then.

hankie419

Why?

I have a 16k sliding hitch in my F250 6 foot bed only because the previous owner had it. We have the 3300 RL Big Country. I have never used the slidding feature, & I really don't see the need to. The sharper you back in, the more stress it puts on your tire sidewalls & axels. I've never come close to hitting the cab. We have the Supercab not the Crew cab.
None

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Also, you never know when you might have to help a friend move their trailer and you might need it then.

While this is probably correct with the Draw-Tite hitch, it is not true of the Pullrite Superglide that uses a guide on the pin plate to lock in the head of the automatic slider so that the unit will move back 14" as it is turning.

I wanted to relevel my unit this past week, and fortunately it only needed to go straight back and forth. Another BH owner here at the park with a reese hitch was able to lock around the pin, but would not have been able to make a turn with it.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
While this is probably correct with the Draw-Tite hitch, it is not true of the Pullrite Superglide that uses a guide on the pin plate to lock in the head of the automatic slider so that the unit will move back 14" as it is turning.

I wanted to relevel my unit this past week, and fortunately it only needed to go straight back and forth. Another BH owner here at the park with a reese hitch was able to lock around the pin, but would not have been able to make a turn with it.
I just installed a 18K pullrite super glider today at camping world. without the capture plate it was $2380 and its exactly as chuck says. combine it with a mor/hyde pin cushion as bob and patty suggested to me and ur in for a sweet safer drive. the mor/hyde can be found at tweetys.com for $699 no tax, no shipping. you will also need the capture plate for the mor/hyde which can be bought for $85 bucks by calling mor/ryde from their website. its made especially for pullrite and doesnt require any welding. i am so jazzed, not worrying as much when i go forward in a turn as well as backing up as i also have a short bed crew cab Ford f-250. i am new and was told it was worth the cost by the first cab window breaking or the rig being damaged.

Trey

Thanks everyone!

I appreciate the information everyone has given. Being a newbie, I really like having the unbiased opinions from users rather than just dealer input.

Love the forum!

Cheers,

Trey & Rene'