Flooded Bathroom - moulding swoolen

Georgia_Biker

We have a BH3610RE - while camping our commode overran and flooded the bath area and out to the bedroom door carpet. Apparently the foot flush control stuck open while we were outside and we discovered the flood later - too late.

I immediately dumped the Black tank and we mopped up the water. Is here anyway t prevent this from happening?

My next question: The door moulding took on water at the base and have swoolen and become disfigured. Where can I get replacement molding? Has anyone ever replaced their molding with real molding?

stevenssr

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. That foot valve has always been a concern of mine and I wonder how often this happens. If it were to shut-off most of the way, but not completely, it would be nearly impossible to catch. Good luck with you molding replacement!
Scott

jbeletti

Larry,

Sorry to hear about your flood. A stuck commode valve is a rare thing but I've heard of it a couple of times over the years. Not sure where you could put an easy to use, easy to access valve to control the water flow to the toilet unless you installed an electric valve with a wall switch.

The molding is vinyl wrapped pressed wood - hence the swelling. Yes, you can replace it with real wood molding. You can obtain replacement vinyl wrapped molding from Heartland.

donr827

For the future considering putting battery operated leak detectors in the bathroom, under the sink, and close to the water heater. Amazon sells a variety of them, Mine look like a green frog and saved me from a leak in the bathroom before any damage can be done. I have also learned to watch the toilet until the water flow stops...........Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You can buy moldings at Lowes or HD that will match very close in color. They are an all plastic molding. At 100mph you will never notice the difference.

dbbls59

I made a solid wood door frame because of another reason but it was easy to do. I went to a big box store and bought a clear 1X4, used a dado to hollow out the back, trimmed it to width and glued a 1/4 round to it for the door stop. After staining it to the correct color and giving it a couple coats of varnish, it looks better than the original.

Georgia_Biker

Great idea Don! It sounds like you are into woodworking - I love it it's just I am no good at it. Will probably just get some ready made stuff from Lowe's or HD-

Georgia_Biker

We had guests staying with us that had never been in a 5th wheel before. I suspect someone did something to get the valve stuck open. You know us owners look after our rigs pretty good because we are close to them, have to pay for them, so we learn all of the quirks. No problem - we'll just press on!

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We had this happen and heartland replaced our commode and the door frames, pulled down our chloroplast and replaced our insulation all under warranty. They did it because this is a known issue with some models of the commodes (according to our dealer) and therefore the subsequent damage was covered too.

Rod Ditrich

For20hunter

Our Bighorn was 10 months old (almost 11 months old) when it happened. We've had it now for nearly 22 months now.

Last edited:

piet10

We've been worried about this also. After flushing we give the pedal a little lift with a foot to be sure the ball valve closes and watch to be sure that the water flow stops.

Al

Georgia_Biker

Rod-

Please give me some guidance - did you contact your dealer or Heartland direct? We bought our Big Horn from Camping World in Oakwood,GA - they are the most non-responsive people I have ever dealt with. All Camping Worlds aren't that way though. I felt going direct might help and wondered if you did.

For20hunter

We took our rig into Fife RV in Washington and told them what happened and they did all the work, contacting and dealing with Heartland directly. 4 days later my rig was completed, new insulation in the underbelly, door trims and the carpets all cleaned.

But, I imagine you could do the same thing with contacting Heartland yourself and telling them what happened and having them direct you to where to get the repairs completed.

Good Luck!!!

Rod Ditrich

Jim.Allison

There is a youtube video on this subject. File with insurance to mitigate damage. Turn off pump before leaving rig. Turning off the pump is the only way to stop this. If on city water turn off the valve. Sorry but it is the only sure way.

We have a BH3610RE - while camping our commode overran and flooded the bath area and out to the bedroom door carpet. Apparently the foot flush control stuck open while we were outside and we discovered the flood later - too late.

I immediately dumped the Black tank and we mopped up the water. Is here anyway t prevent this from happening?

My next question: The door moulding took on water at the base and have swoolen and become disfigured. Where can I get replacement molding? Has anyone ever replaced their molding with real molding?