Induction cook top versus gas burners

Joy & Jeff

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Hi!

My husband and I are getting ready to order our new RV and I'd like everyone's opinion on getting the induction cook top versus the gas burners.

I love cooking on the gas but it seems like there must be an advantage to the induction if it's being offered as an option.

Help please!

Joy

jnbhobe

Re: Convection cook top versus gas burners

Remember no cooking with induction if your not plugged in to shore power.

jbeletti

Joy - I believe you meant "induction", so I changed the thread title.

We have a 36" induction cooktop at home and absolutely love it. I'm looking forward to having one in the RV. Here are my own thoughts...

Pros to Induction:
Very precise control of heat
Easy to clean (flat surface - no holes, grates etc)

Cons to Induction in an RV:
Two burners only
AC powered only
Steel bottom pans only

My solution to two burners only is to use an existing single electric burner that I already have for the few times I'd like 3 burners or use a single butane burner I already have (see more below).

My solution to stovetop cooking with no AC power is to carry a single butane burner. I already carry one for cooking bacon in my large cast iron pan outdoors. My single electric burner would not generate enough heat in the cast iron pan to cook bacon but the butane burner does great. So for me, that will be my backup cooktop burner in the rare case I need the stove at a time when I have no AC power.

My solution to steel bottom pans only is to use this as an excuse to get me a nice set of pans for the RV instead of all the home hand-me-downs. When we got the induction cooktop at home, we bought an awesome set of stainless steel pans and several non-stick pans with steel bottoms. I may buy a smaller set for the RV.

An unknown to me is the spacing on the burners and how that may limit using 2 at a time. If I have a big pot for boiling noodles or corn on the cob etc., can I still use the second burner? We shall see. I plan to get a new Landmark towards the end of the year and I WILL get the induction cooktop.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I think, after consulting with the CEO and head chef, that if we were buying a new trailer, we would go with a conventional gas stovetop and a free standing induction burner. Same thing with the oven, buy a conventional gas (we use it for a bread box when not in use) and day-to-day use the convection oven. This gives you options if/when the power goes off.

wdk450

I think, after consulting with the CEO and head chef, that if we were buying a new trailer, we would go with a conventional gas stovetop and a free standing induction burner. Same thing with the oven, buy a conventional gas (we use it for a bread box when not in use) and day-to-day use the convection oven. This gives you options if/when the power goes off.

This also gives you the option of using the provided RV park electrical power for cooking, instead of paying extra for propane usage.

VKTalley

Hi!

My husband and I are getting ready to order our new RV and I'd like everyone's opinion on getting the induction cook top versus the gas burners.

I love cooking on the gas but it seems like there must be an advantage to the induction if it's being offered as an option.

Help please!

Joy

Joy, I have used both an induction cooktop that I bought recently (it is portable) and my gas cooktop that is in my rig.

The biggest advantage to the induction over gas is you pay for the gas (propane) and the electricity needed for the induction is part of your campground fees. They both seem to heat the same with the induction heating faster. I like that my pan handles do not get hot on the induction burner like they do on the gas burner. Also, I have notcied that the induction burner does not heat up my kitchen and rig like the gas burners do.

Like Jim B. mentioned, the biggest downside is, if you are without electricity, the induction cooktop will not work; and like Jim, we carry a two-burner Coleman stove (leftover from our tent camping days). So I can cook no matter the setup. I recently bought a set of pans that I found on sale at Camping World. They are produced by Magma and are a nesting type of pans. This is my second set of pans by them as my first set would not work on the induction cooktop. They produce a regular set and a induction-ready set.

We are getting ready to remove our gas stove and camper-type refrigerator and replace them with a residential-style refrigerator and an induction cooktop with a cabinet underneath. We already have a convection/microwave that I use for all my baking and cooking needs. I hate lighting the gas oven....you have to be an contortionist to light that thing. :) Hope this helps answer a few of your questions! Send me an email (through our blog) if you have anymore questions for me.

Speedy

Joy, I agree with everybody that the oven is a joke and will be removed as funds allow. I have to disagree with most regarding the use of propane. We have switched to running our water heater to propane during the summer because with everyone in the park running two ACs 24/7 the park was tripping breakers. The park owners notified everyone if power usage was not lowered then we'd have to start paying for power. Since the switch our propane usage is really no different than when it was on shore power but so really no increased cost there.

In several parks we stayed at (a week or more) they metered and charged for power; in Rockport, TX it added $65 to our bill for the 8 days we were there. The more dependent on shore power the less your options are on the road.