Freightliner vs GMC

Majestic

We are entertaining the idea of using a Freightliner as a tow vehicle, but are recieving many conflicting pieces of info. We hace concidered thee drawbacks of travelling around without the trl.

what we can't get is a straight answer is on fuel consumpation. We know that varies with speed, road conditions, etc. we get 10 MPG with our existing, does anyone actually know what the bigger unit might be?

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I don't have a "big rig" but I have talked to several owners that do. They seem proud to get 8-9 mpg, both pulling and deadheading, which is pretty low mileage. I realize that the truck will never struggle with the weight of an RV and that is worth something but with the newer trucks and their tow ratings, I question whether its worth it any more.

Another "plus" for the big trucks is the comfort in driving/riding in one. They are built for driver and passenger comfort but we simply don't drive that far each day, limiting ourselves to 300-350 miles a day. I love being able to arrive and usually be set up by 4 o'clock and NEVER having to set up after dark again!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Gary, heres my take on this. A new MDT will be at least $100K....a used one will be about what you paid for your Chevy. Fuel mileage might be the same or a little less. A MDT weighs more that your Chevy, has a higher $$$$ maintance drivetrain. The tires will be more expensive....19.5's. Higher off the ground....harder to get in and out. If you have dog, you will probably have to lift the dog into the truck. Harder to find a place to park the MDT if you go shopping. A MDT will have a higher GVWR....but it will be at a $$$ cost. I would love to have a MDT, I just cant justify the cost unless I had "more money than sense".

My dream truck would be a 2 axle "narrow nose" Pete from the late 50's to early 60's. Maroon with black fenders and running gear. 350 cumm-a-long, twin straight stacks, low double wide sleeper, 15 speed trans (now called a super 10) and 3.88 gears, and all the polished and chrome stuff I could put on it. Thats called a "freeway flyer". YEEEEEHHAAAA

Majestic

My BH would love it if we shut down at 300m, when i'm packed up I just like to get there, 12 hr days aren't unusual but i'm sure that will change one day. We are hearing a range from 8 - 14 MPG. We would like to mount the bike behind the cab for local traveling. Bob, sounds like an interesting Dream Truck, i just hate polishing chrome but when you live in sunshine 364 days i guess you have time!

GOTTOYS

Gary, heres my take on this. A new MDT will be at least $100K....a used one will be about what you paid for your Chevy. Fuel mileage might be the same or a little less. A MDT weighs more that your Chevy, has a higher $$$$ maintance drivetrain. The tires will be more expensive....19.5's. Higher off the ground....harder to get in and out. If you have dog, you will probably have to lift the dog into the truck. Harder to find a place to park the MDT if you go shopping. A MDT will have a higher GVWR....but it will be at a $$$ cost. I would love to have a MDT, I just cant justify the cost unless I had "more money than sense".

My dream truck would be a 2 axle "narrow nose" Pete from the late 50's to early 60's. Maroon with black fenders and running gear. 350 cumm-a-long, twin straight stacks, low double wide sleeper, 15 speed trans (now called a super 10) and 3.88 gears, and all the polished and chrome stuff I could put on it. Thats called a "freeway flyer". YEEEEEHHAAAA
Along that line..I saw a 40s International K Model short wheelbase semi-tractor pulling a SOB the other day. Dark green with black fenders. Sweet! Listened to it as he pulled alongside, sounded like a six cyl. my guess is it was original. He was rolling along at maybe 50-60 mph. Now THAT was nice rig!!...Don

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We got 8 to 9 out of our Kodiak and it had the same engine and tranny as our Chevy that gets 11....the difference was 8k pounds compared to 12k pounds.

marvmarcy

Its a very personal choice loaded with trade offs. In 2005 bought a 2002 F550 (class 5) w/7.3 diesel and 20,000# fiver, and we had lots of problems. In 2007 we sold the F550 for $39k and bought a 2001 Volvo 420 (class 7) for $24k. After five years we bought our current Landmark. We now average 9.5 mpg with a range of 8.8 to 9.9. Our truck is about the same size as a class 6 FL or IH (a little taller with the same footprint), but much more powerful. I would never go back to anything less. Maintenance on my Volvo has been no more expensive than it was on the F550. Tires are more expensive, as are some parts, but the Volvo power train life expectancy is more than 1,000,000 miles before major repair. Like anything unfamiliar, it takes getting used to - mostly the larger size if you're used to a short bed standard cab pickup.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Gary and Don, many years ago I had a 1953 Sterling. It was the "high" cab mount style, LWB, 3 axle, Cummins (265 I think), 5 and 3 trans combo and a "rocking chair" drivers seat. It still had the wood inside the frame rails. What a beast it was and all "real steel".

SilverRhino

We recently upgraded to a Freightliner from a Dodge 1 ton. The Dodge would get 16 mpg on the highway without the trailer and 11 with our BC. The truck would pull strong all day long. The FL has a Cat C9, larger motor than usually found in these trucks and has air brakes. Going to have our Trailer Saver installed, 1100 mile trip, we averaged 10.8 mpg without the trailer. We have only pulled the trailer for short distances so will not know until our upcoming trip to Colorado in Sept, what type of mileage we will get with the trailer in tow.

I guess I have "more money than sense" because I wish I had done this years ago. The main reasons for driving the larger truck are: 1) Safety, 2) Comfort and SAFETY! These trucks will stop with the trailer unlike any pickup. I know they all have great ratings on paper, but in my opinion, you don't drive paper. There are way too many overloaded trucks on the roads today and for me, it feels a lot safer sitting on top of 15k of truck that was built to move and stop the weight I am pulling.

So again, for us, the extra hassle of parking, and fuel costs are worth it. It is a great way to travel, but it is not for everyone. Whatever you are driving..........Travel Smart & Safe!! Oh, and one other thing....... Make sure you hit a CAT Scale and use the 5th Wheel Street programs to find out what you really weigh!

Majestic

Thanks all for your comments, Randy, not a matter of sense over money, extra safety over basic requirement. As a former professional driver I am partial to the tractor unit as my 3500 is maxed out and i would really like to take the Wing for touring around.

i would be interested in hearing your loaded MPG.

thanks