After Lightening strike

Been full timing for 3 yrs when last week we were struck by lightening Knocked off the digital antenna from roof and fried the AC and Sat dish. Had the AC repaired in Southaven MS. We were very lucky to have had the surge protector on, even that fried. Even though it's not cheap a SP is a very important addition to your RV

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree about having ems/surge protection.
You didn't say whether you were in the rig or not. If you were, do you still have your all your hair??
The main thing is, it sounds like you are okay and the rest is just "stuff" that can be repaired or replaced.

I grew up in tornado alley in North Texas, so I am somewhat used to thunder and lightning. We had a lightning strike hit in the middle of the night about 200 ft from us in Utah a few years ago. I have to admit, it was so loud it scared the *&#@# out of me!!!
Travel safe. Trace

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Glad you and DW are OK. We had one young man killed and 13 others injured here (socal) last weekend by a lightening strike in the ocean close to shore.

Bohemian

It was most likely a near strike or the RV would be seriously burned with a great big hole in it.

The surge protector does nothing to protect against a lightning strike, or near strike. It's just way too big and to fast. It gets fried and passes on the huge current at the same time.

Glad yours was not to bad.

Well it did blow a hole in the bedroom ceiling, went across the ceiling and out the connection box for cable and antenna. Not too bad well that all depends on what you consider bad.

dave10a

I am glad everyone survive this strike and I hope the insurance will cover the damage. Remember-- there is more energy(joules) in an average lightening strike than the energy supplied to an average city. Nothing is going to stop the damage.