Flow through or not?

johnpsz

We are getting ready for a cross country trip and already in the process of swapping out the blowmax tires for Bridgestone's, and am about to get a tst 507 tons. It looks like I'm finding better prices for the flow through, and assume that adding air is a lot easier with a flow through sensor. However I have heard a few people who have had issues with either leaking air or certain pumps unable to actually add air into the tire. Are these big concerns or should I just get the non-flow-through one's? Also the monitor seems the same, can you mix some flow through sensors and some that don't flow through?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

ILH

Removing the 507 to add air takes less than 20 seconds per tire. It really isn't a big deal. Presumably you won't need to add air that often.

pegmikef

I have the flow through and now I am sorry I got them. My compressor is a Viair 450P because I wanted a 12 volt that reliably produces sufficient pressure to keep my tires at 110 PSI. The 450P has a 100 percent duty cycle and does the job, . . . but it will not work with the flow through valves because the back pressure fools the compressor and it shuts down. Since I have to take them off to top off my tires, the flow through feature is of no use to me.

campers2

The 510 system I have came with 2 special tools to remove the sensors. I take them off every oil change. Hardest part is remembering where they go. I use a zip lock Baggie with each wheel marked on the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I wrote the sensor codes on the back of the manual, which is in the console compartment of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbbls59

I have the flow through and like them. They have replaceable batteries that last one year plus. Mine are 14 months old and still on the original batteries. They screw on and there is a set screw to lock them. Not sure if the set screw is needed because I did not use it on my inside duals and have not lost one yet.

Manzan

TST 507 non flow through. I removed the security caps and it is the same as removing a valve cap. I can't see why anyone would try to steal one unless they had remote and charger. The care the company gives far exceeds the warrantee so I would think they would replace one that got stolen.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Mine came with numbered stickers to put on the sensors, so I just have to remember what order the numbers go. (No flow through).

Mike, you might call TST and see if they would swap your flow-through for non, if you want them.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The 507 non flow thru comes with a special tool for install and removal. Very simple and fast to install and remove for air.

I think mine came with two tools. We leave one in the RV and one in the truck (since we have 507s on truck tires also).

GWRam

I think mine came with two tools. We leave one in the RV and one in the truck (since we have 507s on truck tires also).
Erika, ours came with two tools also. I also keep one in the truck with the pressure gauges and one in the rv toolbox.
I have thought about adding sensors on the truck to get temp info. Our TV has built in pressure sensors. We found the temp info useful in avoiding a blow out on our last trip. After the belts separated internally in the tread the temp rose above the other 3 trailer tires and we pulled into rest stop and saw tire had grown 3" in height but not blown yet. Thankfully. Temp was our clue.
Dave

Jim.Allison

Remember you must adjust your tire pressures from time to time. The flow through will facilitate that effort. This is a point that I failed to consider when I bought my kit. I would buy flow through if I had it to do over again. --Just saying:cool:

scottyb

If I had it to do over again, I would go with the newer inside the wheel sensors. They supposedly have 5 year batteries and are not subject to road hazards or getting stolen. Plus I think they may give a more accurate temperature reading than one mounted 3"-4" away from the wheel.

Jim.Allison

Well I did not even know that existed. I would follow your suggestion then..........Got a link?

If I had it to do over again, I would go with the newer inside the wheel sensors. They supposedly have 5 year batteries and are not subject to road hazards or getting stolen. Plus I think they may give a more accurate temperature reading than one mounted 3"-4" away from the wheel.