Gas or diesel

I own a 2006 Chevy duramax . been looking to get newer truck. i have a chance at 2012 ford with 6.2 gas motor with 20,000 miles. the specs say no problem towing 3251ts big country.just not sure about specs. looking for feed back from you guys. thanks

Rrloren

It won't pull like a diesel and fuel mileage will be bad, I'd bet under 10mpg.
I think a BC is too much trailer for a gas pickup.

scottyb

If you have been driving a diesel, you will not be happy towing with a gasser. Every time I get behind the wheel of one, it drives me nuts with the lack of torque, the downshifts, and the screaming engine. Even just driving home empty, where I live in the hill country, is enough to make them downshift. I love the purr of a diesel, which turns into a growl when it loads up going up a hill.

GOTTOYS

You might be surprised. I've been looking at the specs for a new Ram with a 6.4 gasser. With the 4:10 rear it is rated to haul more weight and pull a heavier trailer than my 2010 Cummins powered Ram. And it costs around $6,000 less than a new diesel. Also way cheaper to maintain. Don't be too quick to make a decision without looking at all the facts. When it's time for me to buy a new truck I just might go back to gas....Don

ILH

I agree with the guys on this one - you'll miss the diesel. There's no comparison.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
It's not the horsepower or towing capacity, it's the torque. When you are towing that 17,000 lb trailer up a hill for five miles or more you'll be cursing yourself for not having the diesel.

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
I have a 8.0 Chevy gaser and a 4.10 rear end with a Bighorn camper and have not had any problems pulling in the mountains with a 6 speed Allison trany. It is true I get 7 to 8 miles to the gallon. Love this pickup.

scottyb

You might be surprised. I've been looking at the specs for a new Ram with a 6.4 gasser. With the 4:10 rear it is rated to haul more weight and pull a heavier trailer than my 2010 Cummins powered Ram. And it costs around $6,000 less than a new diesel. Also way cheaper to maintain. Don't be too quick to make a decision without looking at all the facts. When it's time for me to buy a new truck I just might go back to gas....Don

You may get it for 6K less now, but drive it 100K and see where you end up on the next one. Drive it 200K and you are in uncharted territory, and you migth have to call Goodwill to come pick it up.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Shawn, whats wrong with the truck you have now?? I'm not sure you would like pulling with a gasser now. Your Duramax will out pull it anyday and get better fuel mileage.

ncc1701e

Shawn, I'll throw in my two cents. I owned a 2011 F250 with a 6.4 gas engine. Pulled a Heartland Sundance 2800RL fifth wheel (9600# loaded). Pulled east through the mountains to SC and back home (KY), then out to the Black Hills in SD. The truck was awesome, believe me when I say it was a gas you knew it in the mountains. You really do not want to pull the trailer you are thinking about with the gas. When we got the larger trailer I went with the new Ford diesel. Most fantastic beast I have ever owned. I think I could put a tank behind it with no problem.

Gas mileage on the gasser was 14mpg on a good day and never got above 10mpg pulling the old trailer.

The choice is yours, but this died in the wool Ford owner would get the diesel.

stevenssr

It's not the horsepower or towing capacity, it's the torque. When you are towing that 17,000 lb trailer up a hill for five miles or more you'll be cursing yourself for not having the diesel.

I agree. Most diesels have about twice the torque of a gas engine. Plus, the highest, most efficient power comes at low rpms for a diesel and high rpms for a gas engine. Of course, high rpms, generally mean rougher shifts also. I won't go back to a gas engine until I don't have a heavy trailer to pull.

This is my 2nd post since becoming a member this month love my 35' Big Horn). I don't understand why I have such a low member number. Anyway again, I've had a Chevy gasser with a 6.0 litr engine, 401 diff. & on a good day got 8mph pulling a Grand Junction. I converted to a Chev diesel & routinely get 12 mph with much more comfort & ease of pulling. the gasser did OK but I wouldn't ant to try & pull the BH with it.

jnbhobe

You are a free member, when you become a paid member they will put a 2 or maybe a 3 in front of your number.

porthole

Retired
You were just a rally where every make and model and year was there for you to look at :rolleyes:

You could have asked Hank for a ride in his gasser to see how it is, and you camp buddies Greg and Beth are already there as well.

You KNOW you want the diesel - yer' just waiting for all of us to convince you :cool:

mobilcastle

My vote is for diesel-however you have to hope the Bosh fuel pump does not blow up. Repair is about 12 to $15,000 if they decide to not pay the claim under warranty by claiming you bought some bad fuel with water in it. Never mind the filter system they put on does not handle the problem. I am getting ready to install a lift pump with water separator and fuel filter at about $600 plus installation. I suggest all of you put one on. Ask Dan-it happen to him. He was lucky GM agreed to fix it at about 58,000 miles. He now owns a Dodge truck. This is a problem with the big 3-go to the forums and read about it. Good luck. http://www.perfdiesel.com/product-detail.php?Product=344