2004 F350 towing 14,000lbs

Redrider007

Just wondering if anyone out there has this setup. I have a 2004f350 powerstroke diesel single rear wheels. Looking to buy Big horn or big country maxing out at14,000 lbs.

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
you will have no problem. I pulled 15000# bighorn with my 2004 F350 for five years now. I do have 3000# pin weight so I added air bags

shurack24

we pull a Gateway 3200 (similiar gross weights) with a 2011 F350 SRW diesel and no issues. Truck is capable of accelerating up any hill we've encounter over the last 2 years. We've brought it through a cat scale and all weights were under the posted max weights. Good luck and enjoy.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Goto fifthwheelst.com, read about how to weigh your truck and determine what size 5ver you can tow. Better to do the math before you buy, then buy and find out later you're not safe.

We tow an ElkRidge under 14k, it struggled in the mountains this summer. 2004 3500 GMC dually. Have not weighed it lately, but I know the truck can handle it (mountains aside) according to the numbers.

Turtlpwr

+ 1 for fifthwheelst.com. I wish I had done more research on tow vehicles prior to buying my fiver. I purchased a Gateway 3560BH late last year and believed my salesman when he said my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 would be "more than enough" to handle it. Sure, the Cummins power plant is plenty capable, but the handling and more importantly stopping had become a real concern. Had a hard time keeping the speed down a couple of trips ago coming down Cajon Pass in SoCal. Recently added airbags and a Banks exhaust brake which have both helped tremendously. Shopping for a 1-ton dually has commenced.

Can a SRW 350/3500 do the job for my Gateway......yeah it can, but I'm getting a dually in case the DW has a desire for any fifth wheel creep in the future. lol

crmfghtr

Just wondering if anyone out there has this setup. I have a 2004f350 powerstroke diesel single rear wheels. Looking to buy Big horn or big country maxing out at14,000 lbs.

Just bought a 2015 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 SRW. I tow a 2013 Landmark, right now it weighs in at 14300#. Hitch weight is 2840, I have the 11500# suspension package. I had no issues pulling a 5 mile 6% grade at speeds 70+ I don't recommend you do that but I wanted to see the pulling power of this truck. I also don't need airbags because the truck dropped to level when hitched. The same fifth wheel and dually truck would cause the headlights to point toward heaven. A dually is more stable in the wind and body roll. If you get the right suspension, you won't need airbags or other after market goodies to keep it level. Do a lot of research on all three heavy weights.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just bought a 2015 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 SRW. I tow a 2013 Landmark, right now it weighs in at 14300#. Hitch weight is 2840, I have the 11500# suspension package. I had no issues pulling a 5 mile 6% grade at speeds 70+ I don't recommend you do that but I wanted to see the pulling power of this truck. I also don't need airbags because the truck dropped to level when hitched. The same fifth wheel and dually truck would cause the headlights to point toward heaven. A dually is more stable in the wind and body roll. If you get the right suspension, you won't need airbags or other after market goodies to keep it level. Do a lot of research on all three heavy weights.

Just curious, was your landmark empty when you got those weights or are you using printed weights from website? I ask as I am near 15k with my BC and around 3400 on the pin. That just seems too light for a landmark going by my real world numbers. Btw mine are wheel by wheel done at urbanna during rally.

jnbhobe

Just curious, was your landmark empty when you got those weights or are you using printed weights from website? I ask as I am near 15k with my BC and around 3400 on the pin. That just seems too light for a landmark going by my real world numbers. Btw mine are wheel by wheel done at urbanna during rally.

Me too, are those real numbers.

crmfghtr

Yes they are real, (not exact numbers rounded) looking for the weight slip.... What are you carrying in your rig? Are you full-time? We have clothes in the closet, and drawers, about 30 gal of water, both propane tanks are full, and some camping gear in the storage basement, chairs, barbeque, roll-up mat 9'x12', wheel blocks, some minor tools, etc. The ref. is empty there are can goods in the cupboards, along with pots and pans, dishes.
Also we have no generator or Washer/Dryer.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
No washer/dryer or gen set on mine either. Yes I full time but I also had half tank of fresh water which would have taken some of my pin as tank is behind axles but your numbers just seem light. If they are correct good for you and your packing job, just don't tell your DW you are running light cause if she is like mine she will find something to fill in the available space...lol.

Jim.Allison

I have not read all the post. but the Big Country tops out at 15500. But your GCVWR should covet it. Yout ite weith rating at 80 PSI is around 3200 lbs and that is your limiting factor. unless you have different tires and wheels.

Mrsfish

Look VERY closely at the 2004 specs. Ford lightened up their suspension for a couple of years and the 2004's fit into this gap. They corrected the problem in 2005. If you read the ford spec sheet, there is an astrick that refers to the towing gvwr and towing capacity - that it must be adjusted for things like a crew cab, Diesel engine or long bed. When we reevaluated our f250 diesel WITH THE works on it for performance - we were limited to slightly over 10k for towing. Our bighorn was coming in around 14k = new truck. We see people using the 2004 f250s to tow big stuff - we just knew we were over the suspension engineered capabilities and we're not about to risk our safety on it. Just saying.

Jim.Allison

If suspension is the problem go find a spring company in your town and have a set made that will do the job for you.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I had a 2003 F350 DWR for several years and had no problems towing or handling the loads you will be towing. Granted I had a DWR which has a higher tow and load rating, but you should be fine.