Trade in issues

KyleB

Hi Everyone. Today we took delivery of a 2014 Prowler Resort 40FK, We traded in a 2011 Salem Villa Estate 392FBRB2Q. The dealer who we did this deal with did not come out to take a look at the trade in as it was about 65 miles away. The trailer we traded in was a very nice unit, but not for us as we don't need a queen bedroom in the front, We want windows! Anyways, once the trade arrived at the dealer, they called us and said it had hail damage on three sides. We didn't notice any hail damage, nor did or resort owner, who doesn't allow hail damaged trailers to be sold on any seasonal site in the campground. The dealer wants us to contact our insurance to file a claim, and told us they would waive the deductible. We are suspicious, especially since they tried fudging the sale and trade-in prices on the purchase contract, telling us that all that really mattered was the trade difference.
Has anyone else experienced this before? Are they trying to scam us or the insurance co?
Opinions appreciated!!

Jim.Allison

If the deal is already done then forget about it. If not then the logical question to the dealer is; "how much is the damage that you want to mitigate?" The question is not if you have insurance or not, or if you want to file a claim. Obviously you want to file a claim if you were damaged by hail, and your dealer wants you to just turn the check over to him so that he can make the trade he wanted and thought he made.

Hi Everyone. Today we took delivery of a 2014 Prowler Resort 40FK, We traded in a 2011 Salem Villa Estate 392FBRB2Q. The dealer who we did this deal with did not come out to take a look at the trade in as it was about 65 miles away. The trailer we traded in was a very nice unit, but not for us as we don't need a queen bedroom in the front, We want windows! Anyways, once the trade arrived at the dealer, they called us and said it had hail damage on three sides. We didn't notice any hail damage, nor did or resort owner, who doesn't allow hail damaged trailers to be sold on any seasonal site in the campground. The dealer wants us to contact our insurance to file a claim, and told us they would waive the deductible. We are suspicious, especially since they tried fudging the sale and trade-in prices on the purchase contract, telling us that all that really mattered was the trade difference.
Has anyone else experienced this before? Are they trying to scam us or the insurance co?
Opinions appreciated!!

bob34787

and the reason for not going to the dealer and personally looking at the hail damage is?? I have had a few transported for me and always have had the driver inspect and agree to any damage before it left my possession, is there a reason you did not do this?

danemayer

For me it would be a timing question of who owned the trailer when the damage occurred, which would be based on time and location of the storm, relative to when the paperwork was completed. It should be possible to find out where and when a big hail storm came through either at your seasonal location, en route to the dealer, or at the dealer. At that precise time, who was the owner of the trailer?

I had a couple of home hail claims in Austin. The first one, I didn't know the date because I probably wasn't there during the storm and the roof inspection came later for a different reason. When I called to file a claim, they knew exactly when hail storms had caused roof damage.

KyleB

and the reason for not going to the dealer and personally looking at the hail damage is?? I have had a few transported for me and always have had the driver inspect and agree to any damage before it left my possession, is there a reason you did not do this?
My work has sent me 4 hours north, so I can't get back there until Thursday at soonest. I'm trying to delay until then, but there is a timing issue between when the insurance was canceled vs when we file a claim (if we file a claim). I am sure there are varying degrees of hail damage and am suspicious of them wanting $$$ w/o repairing the so-called damage.

KyleB

For me it would be a timing question of who owned the trailer when the damage occurred, which would be based on time and location of the storm, relative to when the paperwork was completed. It should be possible to find out where and when a big hail storm came through either at your seasonal location, en route to the dealer, or at the dealer. At that precise time, who was the owner of the trailer?

I had a couple of home hail claims in Austin. The first one, I didn't know the date because I probably wasn't there during the storm and the roof inspection came later for a different reason. When I called to file a claim, they knew exactly when hail storms had caused roof damage.

We bought this trailer we're trading in about six weeks ago, and there are no known hail storms in the area since then.

Jim.Allison

I don't about your state but In Texas there is a time period from the event that caused the damage to when the damage is identified and adjusted that is mandatory. So you can leave one insurance company and be insured by another and still collect. I have done it. Aways check with your agent. In my case the I was not aware of the damage until it was pointed out to me. I had just switched from Geico. Teh adjuster checked the records and Identified the storm that caused the damage. just short of 2 years previous. Always contact your insurance ocmpany when in doubt. It is an expensive policy that you do not collect on. But if it was not damaged while in your possession then that is that. Your dealer is only wanting what he thought he was buying. If the deal is done already then he made a bad deal, but if it is not then he will walk away. I would. IF the damage was done while you owned it, then a claim is appropriate, and when you collect you should just sign the check over to him. OR you should get the money from your insurance company and go make a deal somewhere else. If the dealer is full of it and ther is some little ding that he thinks is hail damage then he is being a knucklehead, he made a bad deal by not looking at it before the trade. In which cae if the deal is done already dont worry about it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We bought this trailer we're trading in about six weeks ago, and there are no known hail storms in the area since then.

Since you just bought the old unit (a 2011 trailer) six weeks ago, it must have been used.

So is it possible that it already had the hail damage (if that is indeed the problem) when you bought it?

KyleB

Since you just bought the old unit (a 2011 trailer) six weeks ago, it must have been used.

So is it possible that it already had the hail damage (if that is indeed the problem) when you bought it?

Yes, this was a used trailer on a lakeside seasonal campsite. We bought it for the location. I do suppose there may have been some existing hail damage, but I'm skeptical of the dealer based on our experience thus far. I need to go see the so-called damage and hash this out with the dealer. I'll post back my findings.

donr827

The dealer that we purchased from has a check in area where you bring your trade in to. While the trade in is still hooked up they do damage assessment looking for things not mentioned during the sales process.................Don