towmax tires failure

We have a 2012 Heartland Greystone. We had one tire blow out 1 week ago. Put the spare on and bought a new tire the next day. Now 5 days later there was a bulge on another tire. Bought a 2nd new tire. Now we are nervous about driving on the remaining 2 original Towmax tires. Is there a recall or any type of warranty? We are not fulltimers and only use our rig during a few weekends in the summer. Always keep the tires inflated correctly and covered during winter months.

danemayer

Hi thegoodlife,

There's plenty of discussion about Towmax tires and I believe the tire company does have some warranty coverage. Whether it would cover original tires on a 2012 trailer is unknown to me. From prior posts, i think they require the damaged tire for inspection to determine cause of the blowout. If there is warranty compensation for a blown tire, it probably won't be much.

Be aware that when a tire fails, if you have to continue driving on the remaining tire, it's been subjected to severe overloading because it's carrying twice its normal weight. So depending on which tires failed, you could have more damage that has yet to show up.

You'll probably want to get a set of replacement tires all around. Most trailer tires are rated for 65mph max speed. If you tow faster than that, you'll need to get a tire with a higher speed rating.

Jim.Allison

They had me send mine in, they sent a shipping label and the freight was free. They identified the problem (freight clerk threw it in the trash) and offered me the value of the tire in cash. I called them back and asked for a new tire instead so they are sending one in exchange for a release of liability. I wanted the tire instead of the money because Im selling my set and I want it complete when I sell them. The cash was fair for the value of the tire, but there is no TowMax dealer here and by the time I got a tire freighted in and mounted it I would have a significant investment in a tire that I do not intend to use. The release of liability is for "Big O."

Hi thegoodlife,

There's plenty of discussion about Towmax tires and I believe the tire company does have some warranty coverage. Whether it would cover original tires on a 2012 trailer is unknown to me. From prior posts, i think they require the damaged tire for inspection to determine cause of the blowout. If there is warranty compensation for a blown tire, it probably won't be much.

Be aware that when a tire fails, if you have to continue driving on the remaining tire, it's been subjected to severe overloading because it's carrying twice its normal weight. So depending on which tires failed, you could have more damage that has yet to show up.

You'll probably want to get a set of replacement tires all around. Most trailer tires are rated for 65mph max speed. If you tow faster than that, you'll need to get a tire with a higher speed rating.

Thanks for the information. Do you happen to know a contact person or phone number to follow up and see if we an get some compensation?
Hi thegoodlife,

Thanks to everyone who responded to my thread regarding Towmax tires. I called Tredit Tire and after our local tire shop sent them all the relevant paperwork, they reimbursed us a prorated amount for our tires.

We had a blowout on a TowMax tire on Sunday. These tires have less than 1500 miles on them and the pressure was checked before we started home. We were 200 miles into the 350 mile trip when the tire blew out. It damaged the trailer wheel well and siding. I was one of three people I know of that had blowouts on TowMax tires this week. These tires are coming off my trailer. Why wouldn't Heartland use better, G rated, tires on these large toy haulers?
Another disappointment in Heartland quality!!!!

DuaneG

Sorry to hear that. And people keep complaining but the manufacturer changes nothing.

Jim.Allison

First let me say, welcome to the club, we have a 12 step to get you through it. And I (we are) very sorry that you have had to endure this problem.

I am going to start an excel spread sheet on Towmax failures on this forum, to simply plot the mileage and age of the tire at time of failure. This is absolutely ridiculous, the damage that is being done to our brand new trailers by this failed tire.

Heartland has to know when they get orders for the sheet metal and fender skirt, that it is another failure.

We have cussed and discussed this tire and fought over replacement tires forever, and yet this still happens to folks. Just the ongoing battle between the Sailun v Goodyear should alert people to this potential problem, I said potential I meant certain problem.

I wish that more people would notice the Towmax threads, and act before a disaster happens to their rigs.

Last edited:

avvidclif

From another Towmax thread, interesting;

[h=2]Re: Tow Max about to get next victim[/h]
I was on a dealers lot last week that had almost fifty Heartland fifth wheels...
I noticed all the Landmarks had G114s,
of two dozen Big Horn, Big Country & Gateway's all but 3 had Sailun S637s,
all of the dozen Cyclones had TowMax???​

sigpic19157_5.gif

Mike & Helen

Bones

I have been following multiple threads about the tires. Although I have not suffered a failure I have noticed that the tires seem to loose air even when sitting for short periods of time. I have recently had a rim failure in my brand new camper which has me annoyed. The spare is on now. I see a lot of people having issues with the TowMax tires but I would like to know what the actual failure rate is percentage wise when compared to how many tires are actually out there. My other concern is the rating of the rim. I just recently sent in all my info to get a replacement rim and I don't even see load capacities max air pressure rating on the damaged rim, or at least info that I can decode. What has me annoyed is the possibility of throwing even more money that we don't have just to mitigate a possible issue If I am looking at the correct number I see 16X6jE70 This almost tells me the rim is a 16 diameter by 6 inches wide with a load rating of E and only 70lbs of pressure. Maybe I am incorrect in reading this but at that even the stock tires are overloading the the rim at 80lbs of pressure. I would like to see what the spreadsheet looks like.

IMG_20150330_202027.jpgIMG_20150330_202116.jpg

danemayer

I have been following multiple threads about the tires. Although I have not suffered a failure I have noticed that the tires seem to loose air even when sitting for short periods of time. I have recently had a rim failure in my brand new camper which has me annoyed. The spare is on now. I see a lot of people having issues with the TowMax tires but I would like to know what the actual failure rate is percentage wise when compared to how many tires are actually out there. My other concern is the rating of the rim. I just recently sent in all my info to get a replacement rim and I don't even see load capacities max air pressure rating on the damaged rim, or at least info that I can decode. What has me annoyed is the possibility of throwing even more money that we don't have just to mitigate a possible issue If I am looking at the correct number I see 16X6jE70 This almost tells me the rim is a 16 diameter by 6 inches wide with a load rating of E and only 70lbs of pressure. Maybe I am incorrect in reading this but at that even the stock tires are overloading the the rim at 80lbs of pressure. I would like to see what the spreadsheet looks like.

View attachment 35682View attachment 35683

Hi Bones,

Usually the pressure rating in PSI or weigh rating in lbs/kg is stamped on the inside of the rim. If you can't find it, I'd suggest calling Tredit. (800) 537-2925. They can tell you for sure what the rating is.

Bones

Hi Bones,

Usually the pressure rating in PSI or weigh rating in lbs/kg is stamped on the inside of the rim. If you can't find it, I'd suggest calling Tredit. (800) 537-2925. They can tell you for sure what the rating is.

I've looked at all the markings on the spokes except on the inner lip of the wheel. I found serial numbers and the DOT classification but I have not even remotely found load rating or pressure rating. I'll look again later today. Maybe I am overlooking it some how

GWRam

Our part number is on one spoke of the rim and the 110psi is on another spoke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I've looked at all the markings on the spokes except on the inner lip of the wheel. I found serial numbers and the DOT classification but I have not even remotely found load rating or pressure rating. I'll look again later today. Maybe I am overlooking it some how

Look at the rims from the outside, and check out Tredit's website. You can probably locate your rims and the specs, or call Tredit and they can tell you. I know our rims did not have any PSI code on them, but my markings are slightly different than yours.

ucwinters

I could never find the PSI rating on my rims. Called Tredit and their rep had me locate the load rating stamped on the back of the rim which he said equated to max 80 PSI.

Jim.Allison

Problem is that they actually make the same style wheel in both weights and pressures, and 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern. So its not possible to be certain without actually removing the wheel and reading it.

Look at the rims from the outside, and check out Tredit's website. You can probably locate your rims and the specs, or call Tredit and they can tell you. I know our rims did not have any PSI code on them, but my markings are slightly different than yours.