New Bunkroom Floor - 31QBS

cruzer076

So in my 31qbs, there was some water damage in the bunk area. I got a quote to get it fixed it was around $500... so I decided to try to tackle it myself (in 104 degree temps in Texas). In hindsight I would recommend to anyone, wait until the evening but when I get focused on something, I have to see it through. ha
It took about 10 hours, the most daunting part of the task was removing the old floor, its a sheet of plywood about 1/4 inch thick with about 2 inches of insulation glued under it..that took the most time getting that out with a hammer and a Skil saw. I also had to install a subfloor (2x4 stud) and drill through the frame(surprisingly wasn't too hard). Made that back area a lot more sturdy. Re-insulated and used insulation foam and a 3/4 inch plywood and decided to change the vinyl flooring for a different look.
IMG_3883.jpgIMG_4132.jpgIMG_4138.jpgIMG_4145.jpgIMG_4148.jpg rotated floor.jpg
I don't know why the last pic is turned sideways but you can see the difference in the old floor and new floor.
I did not realize how extensive the water damage was until I pulled the vinyl up..so if you have water damage and it doesn't seem too bad, you may double check as it may spread a lot further than you think
The flooring completely changed the look of the room...what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

I think you did a great job and saved more than $500. Once they opened the floor up, they would have asked for more money.

MattR

I also own a 31qbs. The floor looks great- but was wondering, what was the cause of the damage? Anything specific to the model?

cruzer076

I am trying to get all this done to surprise my kids with it so thank you all for the kind responses.

Hey Matt, the previous owner said the seal around the roof vent was leaking, he said he already took care of it (its already been through one storm and no water leaks). So I guess just make sure to check that.