How often do you drive the tow vehicle or drive the motorhome?

ykcamom

We just came back from our first longer trip (4 weeks) and it took me until the very end to drum up the courage to pull the trailer.

But after doing so, I realized it's not that hard to do after all. Not sure if I'll ever be the one backing it into sites, but the towing part as easy enough! Also really made a difference having two drivers.

This got me to wondering how others share the driving.

danemayer

Hi ykcamom,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Congratulations on moving to the driver's side. If you get a little parking lot practice, you may feel more confident about backing into sites.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
My wife will pull the trailer on all kinds of roads and Interstates. She hasn't volunteered to back in to a site yet, but that may come next.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
My drives and backs up. She prefers to go forward though as she has to pull forward and go back a few more times than I do on occasion. We had made a deal at one time early on that she would learn everything I do incase there ever came a need.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I do alot of the driving, especially on long hauls. And yes I do the backing all the time into our driveway.
Byrd

Rrloren

I can't get my wife to drive the truck empty let alone hooked to the trailer! You guys are very fortunate to get a bit of a driving break even if just a few hrs. on the Intertates.

LandYacht

I will be doing all the driving as I am the only one...........LOL! Go big or Go home............had to have space for the mud buggy in the back for the occasional mud ride. Been pulling trailers from lowboys to big goosenecks for about 8 years. I always try to learn as much as I can because you never know when you will have to do it all by yourself and in this case that is exactly what I am doing!

Tiff

danemayer

I started to reply but remembered that DW has a userid here and can read what I write. :p So I asked what she would say.

She said to let everyone know that she can drive the truck, but her driving just the truck makes me so nervous there's no way she's pulling the trailer.

VKTalley

I will drive our truck unhitched but I haven't tried to drive hitched. That scares the living day lights out of me to have that much rig behind me and I'm responsible for it getting where it needs to go.

jo9463

My drives and backs up. She prefers to go forward though as she has to pull forward and go back a few more times than I do on occasion. We had made a deal at one time early on that she would learn everything I do incase there ever came a need.

I just haven't perfected the backing up of a fifth wheel yet. It reacts a whole lot different than the bumper pull. However, I get it done no matter how many times I go back and forth. I agree, we did make a deal (per my suggestion) about me learning everything incase something happened. Of course, the real reason I wanted to know all if it was because I wanted to take the trailer any time I wanted - with or without him...lol

sbryan

My wife has more miles hauling big rigs than I do. She's been a horsey gal all her life and has pulled some pretty big goosenecks over the years. She prefers to have me drive but she can handle anything I can and wouldnt be the least bit intimidated.

Manzan

My wife has pulled every trailer we have had but does not back it up. I like to take a nap after brunch so she takes over for an hour or two or even more sometimes. Needs a rest stop to change. Traffic does not bother her but she is more aggressive than I am and that is hard to do when you are 45' long.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If my wife learned to drive with the trailer . . . she wouldn't need me anymore! :p

DOH! ;)

Actually, she drove around with a horse trailer back in high school . . . but hasn't pulled a trailer since.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I will drive our truck unhitched but I haven't tried to drive hitched. That scares the living day lights out of me to have that much rig behind me and I'm responsible for it getting where it needs to go.

I'm the same as Val. Don't mind driving the truck alone, but towing is very intimidating. I want to, but nerves get the better of me!!

dbbls59

My wife will drive when I get sleepy, but I have to wake her up first. She usually grumbles because she wants to sleep to. This is usually around 2 PM. However she will only drive in the open country or through small towns. My nerves couldn't stand letting her drive through a city or backing into a campsite.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
My wife told me that if she ever comes to her senses and trades me in on a younger model, all I get is my pick up and the camper. I do not want her to get comfortable driving while towing in fear she would change her mind and downgrade me to a tent and the riding lawnmower. :cool:

ncrzrbk

I let me wife drive. She pulled her own pop up before we married. She has driven a couple of our trips and I let her back into our storage lot. She does great plus she has peace of mind knowing she can get it home if something happens to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD