Rear Camera

I've looked around some, but I want to find a camera that we can see behind the 5th wheel when we are driving. Not necessarily a backup camera, but a rear camera. Am I understanding this correctly that the camera on the rear is wired but the screen to view is wireless? I would think with technology today it would be some sort of blue tooth thing that we can use to see whats behind us. I see backup cameras but that's not what I'm looking for. Anyone have one?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We used one on our other camper with not much luck. It was a wireless and the distance from the rear of the camper to the cab of the truck was too long for the signal to go thru the body of the camper. Worked great when you were making a turn (like at an intersection) but not straight line driving. We have since installed a hard wired back-up camera which we are only using for backing in. That works great.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
I'm an electronics maintenance technician for an automotive supplier and work with digital equipment and processors every day. Wired will always be better when you are talking about transferring data of any sort. That being said, I have been running a rear view camera setup for a number of years now to keep an eye on my bass boat that I haul behind my trailer. I had it on my '02 Wildcat and now have installed it on my Bighorn. I have a Pioneer FB500T gps system mounted in the cab of my truck with a video input that accommodates the camera. The camera I purchased from a Canadian company that supplied the camera, cable that spans the length of your trailer, 4-pin connection receptacles, and a coil cable that connects from your trailer at the pin box to your tow vehicle. I installed both a seven pin trailer receptacle and my camera receptacle inside the box of my truck for connection. The camera coil cable wraps nicely around the trailer cable so everything is neat and tidy when traveling.

I will post some info on the company, etc. and some pics if anyone is interested in specifics.

SeattleLion

We have a wireless system on our trailer. I like to use it as a "rear view mirror". We almost never use it for backing into a space. We have walkie talkies to guide each other in. Our system is a voyager 3 and we love it. Camping World did the install for $39. They also met the lowest price we could find (including Internet).

ILH

I seem to recall seeing an advertisement several years ago for a company that sold a controller to integrate the camera signal into the factory dash GPS screen on GMs. It was pretty slick. Has anyone seen it?

Well now this has become a serious issue, hubbie ran over a post at the campground! He was by himself and backed into it. I need to review everyone's comment. We need to get a backup camera asap.

porthole

Retired
I seem to recall seeing an advertisement several years ago for a company that sold a controller to integrate the camera signal into the factory dash GPS screen on GMs. It was pretty slick. Has anyone seen it?

Google lockpick for car audio

jdamude

Google lockpick for car audio

I installed the lockpick in my F450. It works great. I have the factory camera in the tailgate, a camera in the third brake light and one on the rear of the trailer.

We hard wired the rear camera and I gave a quick connector beside the trailer plug.

porthole

Retired
I installed the lockpick in my F450. It works great. I have the factory camera in the tailgate, a camera in the third brake light and one on the rear of the trailer.

We hard wired the rear camera and I gave a quick connector beside the trailer plug.

details?

jdamude

The lock pick is a module that plugs into the radio harness of your factory nav system. The mode has several ports for external cameras and video. It also allows you to perform functions in your unit that would normally be locked when moving. I have pictures of the rear brake light mod in another post. Just search third brake light camera. The trailer camera com from the web at http://www.dieselboss.com/travrout/gps_camera_system_rand_tnd_garmin.htm

The camera comes with cabling required based on the length of the trailer.

I think we are going with the Voyager Digital Wireless backup. Ordering it soon, trying to find the best price for it. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks everyone!