Can a Honda EU7000is power both AC units on Silverado 37QB

SDfromSD

Right off thebat, sorry if this is a bad question. I searched some of the generatorthreads and Googled a few phrases but didn't come up with anything.
Lets just say I'm not an electrician, but hopefully I can explain thisaccurately.
I have a Honda EU7000is generator. It was not purchased for camping, butnow we have a camper. My main question is can something like this be usedto power the entire camper, or mainly run both AC units? To me the ‘rating or size’ of the generatorshould do it, but I question the connections. I’m sure it goes without saying the camper is 50AMP, but the outlets onthe generator are only 2x 30AMP, and 2x 15AMP I believe. I have a twist lock 30AMP plug with a30-to-50AMP dogbone connector, but I have never tried running everything throughthat. Would it overload this single30AMP connection, or overheat the connector and dogbone in any way? If so, how exactly do you run both AC unitswithout having a built-in generator, or is that the only way?

If it shouldrun everything through that single 30AMP connection then I just need to ‘man-up’and try it. I just didn’t want to damageanything.

Sorry for thelong explanation. We haven’t taken thegenerator with us, it’s not exactly the easiest thing to move around. I know it weighs “a metric ton” so it usuallystays home.

If anyone hasany recommendations or advice I’m all ears.

Thanks!

wdk450

This looks like one of the best Honda generators I have ever seen advertised. 7000 watts, Inverter efficient, 50 state EPA compliant, ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTED! The drawback is the 2 - 30 amp outputs. Nowhere on the internet could I learn if they could be combined. Since I found these listed on Camping World, I sent them an inquiry with your RV specific question: Setting it up for 50 amp RV service.

Maybe you could contact Honda or your seller about this. My gut feeling is that you would take the 2 - 30 amp outputs, connect the neutral wires and then have a common neutral and 2 - 30 amp supplies for L1 and L2 of your 50 amp connection. Since the generator can be set up for 220 volts, I think you might get the exact mirror of the standard 50 amp RV shore feed. Or these 2 live feeds may not be 180 degrees out of phase (making 220 volts between them) like the standard 50 amp shore connection, but should still work correctly in your rig, supplying 120 volts, 30 amps to each leg of the trailer's breaker box. If you are familiar with using a Digital Voltmeter, you can do some measurements. Neutral to neutral on the 30 amp plugs should be 0 volts with either configuration, hot to hot will either be 220 volts or 110 volts.

Best of all worlds is to get the straight dope from Honda or a Honda dealer. I will let you know if Camping World replies.

HornedToad

You'll need 50 AMPs to run two AC's.

Check with Honda to see if this would work... two 30 AMP males into a 50 AMP female.

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-50-Am...UGI/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_1_2/187-6966118-0486960

You'll probably also need the twist lock adapters to fit the generator plug...

http://tweetys.com/rv-generator-adapter.aspx?gclid=CO_F0IOP8L8CFUoS7Aod8DAAOg

I noticed the above when I bought a 15 AMP / 30 AMP male into a 50 AMP female adapter to use this fall tailgating. They are putting power pedestals in the RV lots, but I think they're only going to be 30 AMP. I guess any AMPs beats running your generator all weekend.

I hope they also have a 15 AMP household plug on the pedestal so I can use this adapter to get at least 45 AMPs and run two AC's? It's not quite football weather in West Texas in September!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55025-P...L2/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0/187-6966118-0486960

SDfromSD

Thank you wdk450, Jim.Allison, HornedToad forthe replies! I will check with Honda to see if I can get a straight answer.
Jim.Allison, I do like the Onan setup but don't really utilize a generatorenough to justify it. I actually wasgiven this generator, so I didn’t even buy this one. I’m positive it’s not stolen, just a graciousfriend. I stored it for him for a fewyears, then he said "keep it." Thoughtmaybe I could put it to use sometime when camping without power.

HornedToad thanks for recommendation on those 30s-50connector. I had never seen one likethat. I should have known to checkAmazon first. I’d like to see if theyare safe to use for sure or not.

Thanks again all. It appears the website either likes to run my words together, or myspace bar is broken. No clue why it ranalmost 20 words together, but it looked correct before I hit submit.

branson4020

Icantre Member
According to the specs I'm looking at, one of those 30A outlets is 4-wire 220v. That outlet should deliver the full rated output of the genny. You just need to adapt it to your 50A cord.

Jim.Allison

If you can get it set up, more power to you.

I saw one of those a couple of weeks ago on the steam train that goes from Chama NM to Antonito Colorado. I noticed it because it was powering the hospitality car and all its appliances. I was particularly interested in how quiet it was. It must be durable because they had it slung in a rack they had build under the rail car. It was serviceable from the side and locked in to keep it from being stolen. It looked as if it had been there for years unprotected from the elements. I found myself thinking that it would be a good one for an RV and that it would slip right into the generator bay.

BTW, I was reading about the neutral bonding issues encountered with general purpose generators and the cure seems to be permanently installing and running through the transfer switch. I dont know if this is going to be an issue for you or not. Good luck.

HornedToad

Again, I'm very uneducated when it comes to this, but don't I want to avoid hooking in to 220v? I thought that fried appliances?

No... you are very educated in that you DO NOT want to hook your trailer to 240V, it will fry appliances.

In this you tube video one of the 30A outlets on the EU7000 is marked 120/240V, so unless you make sure with Honda you can wire or set to only deliver 120V, DO NOT plug it into your trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-1l0VxBRLo

wdk450

No... you are very educated in that you DO NOT want to hook your trailer to 240V, it will fry appliances.

In this you tube video one of the 30A outlets on the EU7000 is marked 120/240V, so unless you make sure with Honda you can wire or set to only deliver 120V, DO NOT plug it into your trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-1l0VxBRLo

Horned Toad, I think you are wrong. The standard RV 50 amp service has 2 - 50 amp, 120 volt feeds that are 180 degrees out of phase with each other, yielding 240 volts 50 amps if the power is measured across hot wires L1 and L2, and not L1 to neutral and L2 to neutral which measure 120 volts each.

Read closely the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs of this webpage: http://www.myrv.us/electric/pg/50amp_service.htm

SDfromSD

Plug this adapter from home depot into that socket and all will be well.

When you say "into that socket" are you referring to the 30AMP receptacle on the right that has the 120/240 option? And if so, put it on the 240 selector?
Won't that 'overload' those little 30amp spades? I suppose they wouldn't make the adapter if it did, but I'm still leary on this thing. I'm not trying to question advice, just don't want to fry appliances. I can't afford that!
Thanks all for the help.

HornedToad

When you say "into that socket" are you referring to the 30AMP receptacle on the right that has the 120/240 option? And if so, put it on the 240 selector?
Won't that 'overload' those little 30amp spades? I suppose they wouldn't make the adapter if it did, but I'm still leary on this thing. I'm not trying to question advice, just don't want to fry appliances. I can't afford that!
Thanks all for the help.

I believe the OP was all about getting 50A to run two AC's.

I couldn't find a EU7000 manual but the answers to your questions are probably in the similar EU6500 manual.

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/31Z25600.pdf

On page 10 the 30A prong on the right is a 4 prong outlet that per page 14 can be set to 120V or 240V.

If you set it to 120V and use a four prong generator adapter like the one below you should be OK to use a 30A/30A to 50A Y adapter. 30A 120V to each side.

http://www.electricgeneratordepot.c...&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CIrrhsbO8L8CFVJo7AodeSQAsQ

If you use a Y adapter and put 30A 120V to one side and 30A 240V to the other side, that's a problem. But that should not be possible with the above adapter. Bill's right with a 4 prong 30A plug you have a total of 240V spilt to 120V on each side of your panel, but still only 30A, 240V on one side would be wrong.

Just to make sure you can run the outlet test at Bill's link...

http://www.myrv.us/electric/

Gentlemen?

Jim.Allison

I ran a 50 amp rig off a 30 amp outlet through a dog bone. It powered both my airconditioners and my water heater. But the microwave threw the breaker. So that is how far you can go on 30 amps. I switched the heater to gas and never threw another breaker all weekend.

It matters not if the two legs are in or out of phase. both legs are separate. the 2 50 amp 120v legs go to two separate 50 amp breakers in your panel. Unless you have a 220 or 240v appliance in your rig then they remain separate legs and phase does not enter into the question.