Cable TV Survey - What would you do?

Would you use a set top box to watch cable TV?

• YES: I am willing and able to install a set top box in my RV

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • YES: I might give it a try but I'm not sure I would succeed.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • NO: I am not comfortable messing with the TV wiring.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • NO: I can't get to the connectors on the back of the TV.

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • NO: I watch satellite TV

Votes: 26 53.1%
  • NO: I don't watch much TV and it would be too much trouble.

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

danemayer

I have a question about watching cable TV at RV parks. There's a nationwide transition from analog to digital cable. Parks getting service from Comcast or one of the other 5 major cable companies are in the process of switching. In order to watch digital cable, you have to plug in a set top box. Your incoming cable TV feed goes to the input side of the set top box. The output goes to your TV.

I'm wondering how many people would be able and willing to install a set top box to watch cable TV. Let's assume your stay is more than overnight.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Most TV's in RV's do not have a readily accessible coax connection on the back.
Adding another device is not something I want to be bothered with.

Peace
Dave

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our park here in swla is being transitioned to this, the office has to sign out the box and take a deposit on them, it is going to be a huge headache.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Seems you would just switch the cable from the roof antenna outlet to the cable outlet. Connect it to the input of the set box and the output of the set box to the TV. Just like at home if you have digital cable. Not rocket science. Maybe with cable you'll have better programming and reception than you do with satellite.

If our CG had cable, I'd get rid of the DISH gear in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If I didn't have DirectTV, I might consider it for stays longer than a weekend. If we're just in for a weekend or overnight I would hope to get OTA reception.

pegmikef

I thought a lot of TVs are digital ready. I have to use the box on a couple of my TVs, but not on others.

danemayer

I thought a lot of TVs are digital ready. I have to use the box on a couple of my TVs, but not on others.
Part of the Digital TV transition rule allows the cable companies to encrypt the signal. So even though the TV is digital ready, you need the set top box to decrypt the signal before it gets to the TV.

Connect it to the input of the set box and the output of the set box to the TV. Just like at home if you have digital cable. Not rocket science.

JohnDar, not rocket science, but maybe depends on whether you can easily get to the back of the TV and willingness to mess with it.

I would hope to get OTA reception.
If you did have good OTA reception, you're right, why bother with a cable hookup that's not easy.

JohnDar

JohnDar, not rocket science, but maybe depends on whether you can easily get to the back of the TV and willingness to mess with it.

Guess I'm just spoiled. After they ripped my two TV's out, I mounted the replacements on articulating mounts that allow easy access to the back and removal from the rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaffer

Not a big deal to add an A/B switch where it is easy to get to and connect the box to that. Still, I would not like the check out and deposit.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We have gone through this in NJ and a separate box is necessary for each TV you wish to watch. I would search through the trees to find a sat signal before I rewired 3 televisions! Some parts of South Jersey are without over the air channels as they are too far away from the majors in both New York and Philadelphia. It can be frustrating for sure!

JohnDar

A caveat to this may be just what services/options the CG is going to provide from the cable operator. If it's just basic cable, you might not get much. If it includes the Premium movie channels, HD and other good stuff, then it might be worthwhile (and priced accordingly).

porthole

Retired
Any campground we have been to here in the NE where we used their cable has been mediocre. CG's in NJ do not get premium channels. We have had as few as 4-5 channels on a parks system and as many as 30 plus (mostly useless as well)

For the most part, before having DirecTV I used over the air if I could because that way we at least got some HD channels.

And, now that we have SAT TV, even if we can't get a signal we always have 50+ hours of programming on the DVR, which you can watch without a SAT signal (something you cannot do with a cable DVR)

So Dan, my answer is no, I would not like giving deposits to add to my workload setting up. But, I don't like having to give out deposits for gate keys as well.

danemayer

Thanks for all the responses to the poll. Comcast in this area has recently gone through the conversion to digital and now requires a set top box at every TV. For the 200 RV sites here that's a problem. Initially Comcast suggested having visitors drive 10 miles to the Comcast office, and get a set top box and then return it at the end of their stay. The 2nd suggestion was to have the resort office manage the boxes and loan them to visitors.

The concern of the Board of Directors is that RV owners wouldn't be willing and able to install the boxes. Most RVs here have TVs built into cabinets and in an unknown number of cases, the back of the TV is not easily accessible.

The poll, while not scientific, does give us a view of how many visitors might be left out in the cold with the proposal to have the office loan equipment. Looks like maybe 20%.

We're also looking into other possible solutions to get back to a "plug-n-play" scenario where you don't have to install a set top box.

Apparently, RV parks served by Comcast or any of the other top cable companies are all going to go through this. Those served by Directv or Dish Network may not have a problem.

pegmikef

Why not just stick with your satellite setup? What is the advantage?

In a few cases the cable has more to offer than my Dish hook up. The KOA in Durant, Ok and the RV Park in Fredericksburg, TX come to mind. In the park we stay at in Ruidoso, NM, there is no satellite access because you are backed up to or very near a large hill (which happens to be the direction required for satellite). That is why I am interested in what Dan is looking in to.

danemayer

Why not just stick with your satellite setup? What is the advantage?

If you're in the 1/2 who don't have satellite TV, you'll appreciate having cable TV. Also, some sites in the park don't have a clear shot at the satellites because of trees.

mobilcastle

We are looking at a park in FL for the winter and they have Direct TV. 77 channels. If it is good I will shut off the Tailgater. Will save me about $47 a month. This park is wooded so a satellite connection could be a problem. I see your point. Having to go somewhere and get a box and or install new wiring would really be a pain though. If you planned to stay a few months I guess I would do what I had to do since we like to watch watch TV.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Recently in Mass - Fios ( Verizon ) has changed the way they provide their TV signal. When I first signed up for Fios, you needed a box on every TV... now I have switched back to them after going to the cable company for 2 years and I no longer require a box on my digital TVs to receive the standard Def TV channels 1~150. It was one of the selling points that sealed the deal to go back to Fios... So not every provider requires a Box to get standard TV ...

Of course Standard Def sucks for watching sports now that we are all really spoiled ...

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you're in the 1/2 who don't have satellite TV, you'll appreciate having cable TV. Also, some sites in the park don't have a clear shot at the satellites because of trees.

Dan, we would not mind getting the box if checkout was seamless when you check in. I think many folks that go to Tiger Run either have satellite or are tech-savvy enough they could hook up a box, if they really wanted cable channels. We just used our over-the-air antenna when we were there and cable was unavailable (they were working on the transition).

I think it's worth the effort, if it's worth it to you to see those channels. To us, tv isn't as important when we're traveling.

danemayer

We'll know pretty soon how it's working. We've got 10 units in the office and all 10 were checked out between Tuesday morning and Friday afternoon. Could have used several more units.

Check out is pretty easy - $100 deposit on the credit card and fill out your info on the top half of a form. On return the bottom half goes to the customer as a receipt for the return and there's a 3 question survey with space for comments.

I expect we'll have a pretty good understanding of how it's working within the next week or so.