How to open Microwave vent?

adam

Good Morning;

Could someone please enlighten me on how to open the external plastic cover for the microwave vent on our 2015 Landmark? - this appears to be rocket science!!

I have pushed, pulled and lifted the tabs with no luck. I thought that it might be the new paint but that isn't the case either.

Help - the kids want pizza from the convection microwave tonight!
Adam

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

LandYacht

Bought a new 2014 Road Warrior and mine is the exact same. Had to get a ladder because I was just all enough to reach but scared I was going to break it applying too much pressure when I couldn't get it open, I got a ladder and got up to where I could see it. Only thing I could gather was it was a little stuck from being new and not being used. I just had to push in on both clips you see and pull at the same time. Be careful - clips are plastic.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I use a rod (it's the old pull rod from a manual awning) to unlock the latch on the vent cover. It doesn't look like it's open but will open when the fan starts in the convection oven which pushes the air out.

RoadJunkie

If you can invent a method of opening this vent from the inside of the coach, the RV world will beat a path to your door!

adam

Hey LandYacht

You were right I needed to push up on the tabs and the panel opened - it also had some paint from its original build keeping it shut.

These plastic tabs are far too tight to open with a awning rod from the ground, it would take a push up and a pull out all at the same time and of course probably scratching the paint at the same time.

Since its in a shroud/cover why couldn't I travel with this vent unlocked?? Any thoughts?

Adam

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you can invent a method of opening this vent from the inside of the coach, the RV world will beat a path to your door!

Len,
Ironically I had a push-pull tab built into the range hood that opened and closed the outside flap. This was on a camper built in 1992!
It worked great. Don't know why the industry did away with it. Trace

LandYacht

Adam,

the dealer told me not to travel with it open because the cover causes a forced updraft and could break the door, also potential for rain to blow into the vent system - not sure if this is true just what I was told and it does make sense

adam

Adam,

the dealer told me not to travel with it open because the cover causes a forced updraft and could break the door, also potential for rain to blow into the vent system - not sure if this is true just what I was told and it does make sense

Thats the answer I was afraid you were going to give me. But thanks for the info none the less. I closed the vent and at least now that I know how to open it, it will just be a matter of getting the ladder out when we are setting up.

Thanks for the info.

Adam

pegmikef

Adam,

I don't know whether it is true or not, but I do know mine has been open for over a year through all kinds of weather with no ill effects. Frankly, I forgot it was open until I read another thread here a couple of months ago and a couple of other folks mentioned that they left theirs open as well with no problem. This isn't like the older style that would only take one trip to lose the flap if you left it open.

brianharrison

That is a new style of vent cover that I have not looked at before. Looks sleeker but also looks like more of a PITA (PainInTheA$$) than the old style.

I leave mine closed as my Micro/Convection Oven exhaust is not connected to my outside vent anyhow...... One of those round tuits (when I get "around to it") that I have never bothered with....

Brian

happykraut

Since the manufacturer of the new style vent says that it is perfectly OK to drive with the vent open mine stays open all the time.

brianharrison

Since the manufacturer of the new style vent says that it is perfectly OK to drive with the vent open mine stays open all the time.

Do you have a link to the manufacturer or literature which states you can leave it open and travel? I looked but could not find either; I am curious.

Brian

happykraut

Brian I do not have a link, but I believe there was a post about it a long time ago.

Last edited:

Al.K

After having my microwave repaired this week. And dropping it from its mount, to access the screws on the top. I can share this information.
The back of the microwave sits against some foil type flashing/sealing tape around the inside of the opening in the wall. So the problem I would see is any moisture or dirt would go directly into the squirrel cage type fan on the back of the microwave. There is no ducting or any other place for anything that might find its way inside to go.
It is a pain to deal with, ladder and all. But I think we will only open as needed.