Bilstein shock 4600 series or 5100 series

rjr6150

Been checking around for which shock to change to from original and have determined going the Bilstein are the way to go. Getting conflicting advice as to which series. Called Bilstein direct this morning after coming up with various reasons from dealer whcih series to go with. The manufacture suggests for a firmer ride to go with the 4600 series. The 5100 series was designed for lifted truck and will give a softer ride compared to the 4600.

those of you that have switched what series are you using and how happy are you with it?

Truck is
2008 F350 SRW
Crewcab shortbed
6.4 diesel

Thanks in advance

Hunter11

I just had 4 new 4600 series installed on my truck Wednesday. I have been using the 4600's since about 2001 and love them. The stock shocks on my truck were gone at 25k miles.

Rrloren

I installed the 4600 series a few months ago. The ride is pretty good with the Trailer hooked up but not as soft as I remember my previous truck that had the 5100 series. Neither truck is lifted.
Last week I dropped the rear tire pressure down to 50psi from 60 psi and that seemed to help. Of course I'll increase the pressure to 70 psi when I will be towing.

brianharrison

5100 series - I am happy with them. Went with them over the 4600 for the softer ride. It still substantially dampens the jounce compared to stock.

I have a standard stock height truck.

Brian

Last edited:

MTPockets

4600 for stock height replacement; 5100 for lifted or adjustable height trucks. We went with 4600 based on Bilstein recommendations.

Cjackg

4600s based on Bilstein recommendation. They are smoother than the OEM Z71 pkg Ranchos they replaced.

Last edited:

Cjackg

On the Ford's, the "FX4 package rancho shocks are nothing more then motorcraft shocks painted white and decal-ed rancho, and they stink.

Does GM use real ranchos or painted OEM stuff?
Mmmmm... hard to say. the Decals appear authentic but they were very harsh and I have had good Ranchos in the past on other vehicles. The Bilsteins are a major improvement.

porthole

Retired
Mmmmm... hard to say. the Decals appear authentic but they were very harsh and I have had good Ranchos in the past on other vehicles. The Bilsteins are a major improvement.

Here are the Ford's version of rancho shocks, with authentic decals :rolleyes:

Ford's FX 4 package is a waste of money. Almost $300 extra for skid plates, a FX4 decal and factory shocks with a decal.

The skid plates are availbe for a $100 option.

I took my FX4 decals off the truck several years ago. Looks much better.

Attachments

• Rancho_1.jpg
    Rancho_1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Rancho_2.jpg
    Rancho_2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Rancho_3.jpg
    Rancho_3.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 30

rjr6150

Thanks everyone for the information. Now if I can get Camping World to match prices I'll order the shocks. Only reason going with them as have gift certificates to use. I can certainly see why some people get frustrated dealing with them. Quoted shipping charges of $95 and this is to pick up at the Denver location.