Ladder storage

jandvs

The outside ladder on my 3210 is too long to store in the garage area unless it is put in diagonally. When cargo is in the garage, this isn't possible so I can't carry the ladder with me.

Has Heartland considered making this ladder in two pieces so it can be easily stowed in the garage area? Do you have any other suggestions for transporting?

bcpolaris

bcpolaris
I was going to ask this same question. My old camper had a hinged ladder that would store in the basement. I might have to find a hinge that I can rivet on so I can bring it along. You never know when I might want to sit up there to watch my boys dirt bike racing. haha

noconwud

3210 lader

We have a 3210 also. My solution is to chuck the ladder and get a "little giant' type folding ladder instead. Much more versatle to use and a lot safer! Can be stowed in storage area, garage, or in your truck!

ToyHauler

Cut the ladder

Couldn't follow the link mentioned above, but I ran into the same issue.

I cut the last step of the ladder off and it will fit in the front storage compartment just right. I can step up on to the new bottom step, or if need be, use a small stepstool I carry.

Works for me!

bcpolaris

bcpolaris
ladder storage

I have cut the ladder in half at the fourth rung from the top. I then inserted a steel rod into the top piece securing it with cotter keys. I then have the ability to store the lower end of the ladder on the ceiling using broom holders. The upper part of the ladder is stored on the wall also using broom holders.

Attachments

• IMGP5187.jpg
    IMGP5187.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMGP5188.jpg
    IMGP5188.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 191
  • IMGP5189.jpg
    IMGP5189.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 186
  • IMGP5255.jpg
    IMGP5255.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMGP5253.jpg
    IMGP5253.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMGP5252.jpg
    IMGP5252.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

Country

I just leave mine mounted on the outside of the unit. Haven't have a problem in a year of traveling with it like that.

porthole

Retired
The outside ladder on my 3210 is too long to store in the garage area unless it is put in diagonally. When cargo is in the garage, this isn't possible so I can't carry the ladder with me.

Has Heartland considered making this ladder in two pieces so it can be easily stowed in the garage area? Do you have any other suggestions for transporting?

See my post at
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=11365&highlight=so+it+begins

post #2.

I found a ladder at a surplus store and then just cut the original ladder.
I then took the standoffs off the cut piece and added then to my surplus ladder.

At the bottom set of standoffs I just added rubber chair tips and set them so that when the ladder is on the trailer the standoffs sit right at the corner of the aluminum, as this is the strongest area.

airedale

ladders....

I just leave mine mounted on the outside of the unit. Haven't have a problem in a year of traveling with it like that.

with that ladder in place you may want to check your width......some officer who's on his toes may have a tape measure in his pocket.....:)

truknutt

Committed Member

davelinde

I just went to Lowe's and bought (2) 12" pieces of water pipe whose outside diameter was the same as the inside diameter of the ladder.

I looked and looked and couldn't find anything to match up with the ID or OD of the ladder. I was not sure how much free play would be OK, but I didn't want much.

truknutt

Committed Member
Mine fit just right. Bolted one end and then have removeable pins for the other end. I have 6 (3 rows) mounting brackets on the side of the Cyclone and I assume you have the same. I cut my ladder between the top and middle rows so the brackets would add rigidity to the cut ladder.

I got the idea from someone on this forum a couple years ago and I hate that I can't find the post nor remember the member's name.

STOP THE PRESSES!! I found it...It was a link to Trailer Llife's forum posted by CRAZYBANSHEE. It is a ladder on a RAPTOR but the idea is the same. Here is the link with pics The first pic shows the water pipe.

Dave

truknutt

Committed Member
I looked and looked and couldn't find anything to match up with the ID or OD of the ladder. I was not sure how much free play would be OK, but I didn't want much.

I wonder if my Lowe's was proactive and cut a bunch of 12" sections and then ran them on their threading machine; maybe training a new employee how to run the machine. Our Lowe's is fairly new.

porthole

Retired
with that ladder in place you may want to check your width......some officer who's on his toes may have a tape measure in his pocket.....:)

"appurtenances" don't count in the width measurement.

Think - ladders, awnings, handles etc.

I wonder if my Lowe's was proactive and cut a bunch of 12" sections and then ran them on their threading machine; maybe training a new employee how to run the machine. Our Lowe's is fairly new.

Lowes an HD both offer 2, 4, 6" etc threaded pipes.

I seriously doubt that if they were training their employees to cut an thread pipe that you could actually find a box of 12" threaded pipes that were actually - all 12" :D

yuri_rage

It was a link to Trailer Llife's forum posted by CRAZYBANSHEE. It is a ladder on a RAPTOR but the idea is the same. Here is the link with pics The first pic shows the water pipe.
I just accomplished this mod on my Cyclone 3612. There was very little play between the 1/2" pipe and ladder tubing. I used 28" sections of pipe so that I could use the rung screws to hold the fixed ends. 7" of pipe stuck out for the pinned side. The ladder fits nicely in the forward storage compartment, underneath my hoses/hookup cables.

truknutt

Committed Member
Glad to hear it worked for you. We can all thank CRAZYBANSHEE for posting this mod way back when!

ArlingtonFire

I just went to the hardware store and bought a 12' ladder. The ladder telescopes to what ever height you need. The ladder is probably 2 to 21/2' when folded up and fits nice in the basement.....just another option

davelinde

So I finally found some aluminum tube 0.875" OD that fit inside the ladder tube perfect. After I found that I found a few other bits of pipe that would have worked too.

Easy mod - the hardest part was drilling perpendicular and centered with a hand drill as I didn't feel like clearing the space around the drill press out. I used rivets to secure the tube at the bottom and a captive 1/4" pin through the top. Now the ladder clips to the wall in the garage using spring loaded clips and velcro to attach the ladder halves together.

Ladder is as solid as before and stows away nice and neat. Very happy.