surge protectors

bpmills

Being new to the 5th wheel world, what is everybodys take on surge protectors, it seems that as much as we pay for them they should be included with the product.
Thank you

svd

Funny you mention this, I have been looking at these for a couple days. I am leaning toward a portable 50 amp surge guard model, thinking that it will protect everything from the park power to the trailer, rather than a hard wired model that might not protect the trailer wiring from the cord in the back to the power panel in front. I am interested in what others have to say!

jpmorgan37

I wouldn't be without one. I have the portable and there have been several occasions that it has tripped during thunderstorms. With the "quality" of voltage that I see in some parks, the low voltage as well as the surge protection, it is valuable. With all of the electronics that we have in our RV's, microwave, refrigerator, tv's, dvd's, furnace, hot water heater, etc., one surge and you have lost thousands of dollars. Even if insurance replaces it, the inconvenience and time to get it done just isn't worth the risk. IMHO

John

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have an EMS hardwired into our coach. Best money we ever spent...it's already saved our coach on at least three occasions! Never had one prior to the Bighorn, but will always have one from here on out!

Delaine and Lindy

We have a portable Surge Guard 50 Amp. We got the portable so we wouldn't have to hard wire it. Good decision on our part when we get the BH 3600RL it will be the 3rd 5th wheel it has protected, and thats the word protected. It just takes one electrical problem to fry Tv's, Microwave, Fridge and Computers just to name a few things. And if your a long way from home or if your full timing. Go and spend the bucks it might just save you a ton of money. GBY....

We are sure looking forward to using ours again. We have for sure got a bad case of the Hitch itch. :D

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Need to get a Surge Protector..

Well I have had my 3400RE for 3 days and need a surge protector.. I had a 30 amp portable on my previous 5er but need to look around for one to protect my new 5er..

What are some of you using and how much do you expect to pay..

BC

truknutt

Committed Member
SVD,

That's the same protector that CW sells for $454 ($409 member's club price).
Thanks for this info; it'll save me enough for some diesel! ;)

svd

cookie,

Actually, if you go directly to their site, it is on sale, and you can save a few dollars over E-Bay. I found this after I ordered mine. I should know better than to keep looking after I make a purchase, just can't help myself..........

linuxkidd

Judging from what that page says you linked to..

The item it describes is only a surge protector. It doesn't have a low voltage or high voltage protection. It says it protects against faulty park power, but no specifics about what types of faults it protects against. i.e. Open Ground, mis-wired plug, etc..

I'd be sceptical. It will probably do the same thing as a regular household surge protector, but nothing more. The others discussed here have a broader feature set that is valuable for RV electronics.

LK

grizzlygiant

Is there room and access for mounting a surge protector inboard of the shore line plug-in? Can you get to this area by taking down a portion of the underbelly?

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
We had hard-wired surge protector added to a different unit at the Great American RV Rally a few years ago in Kansas. The unit is an "EMS" (Electrical Management System) brand unit. The cost was comparable to the plug-in style units. It clamped on to the power a few times and saved our electronics, microwave and A/C units. The EMS has a digital readout that we installed in the closet at the door and we could see what was happening every time it shut off. I have been surprised at the RV parks we stayed in that had electrical fluctuations. Some because of the incoming power grid spikes and some because of out of date wiring and plug problems(loose connections, blown or shorted plugs, loose panels). With the sophistication of the T.V.'s, microwaves, computers and everything else, the investment is necessary. Maybe some units will offer these as options in the future. Until then, spend the bucks for a post plug in style, or get one hard-wired.

ChopperBill

We 90% boon-dock. Need a protector with a generator or inverter?
Just got back from my part time job. The whole end of town got hit with a power surge. Fried one of the company puters! Over 2 grand. Most all the businesses were down in the area for several hours.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
bpmills, my advice - DON'T be without it - Get one!

I am new, also to RVing - but I'm NOT new to electricity. As caddojay stated above: "I have been surprised at the RV parks we stayed in that had electrical fluctuations. Some because of the incoming power grid spikes and some because of out of date wiring and plug problems(loose connections, blown or shorted plugs, loose panels). With the sophistication of the T.V.'s, microwaves, computers and everything else, the investment is necessary. Maybe some units will offer these as options in the future. Until then, spend the bucks for a post plug in style, or get one hard-wired."

I would like to tell you all - DON"T be surprised at the RV parks you encounter with electrical fluctuations or problems of any kind. In the older parks, as Jay said, the wiring will be older and connections looser. Couple this with the great probability that when they were built they were either self-wired or went to the lowest bidder. The last statement holds true with some of the newer parks as well.

About 5 years ago, I had the opportunity to bid on upgrading the electrical wiring for a 42-space RV park which was owned by a state university. My lowest possible bid was 4X higher than the lowest bid they received. Low bid got it and their entire bid was less than 1/2 of my material costs. This told me they were not correctly figuring the load, according to the minimum code requirements, for a safe, trouble-free and functional installation. Otherwise stated, when completed, the wiring was going to be of insufficient size for the RVs staying there.

So, when we park there and use our A/Cs, TVs, DVDs, DWs, etc... (gotta have 'em!) - there may be problems with voltage and current draw. You never know when you pull in to park, whether the wiring is correct or not; just because they are new, remodeled, 50A or 30A - they may not know whether their wiring is CORRECT or not. Be protected - just my opinion! <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

frumbawa

Just Curious

To those of you using the portable surge protection, how do you keep it from getting stolen?

Frank