Air bags for 1 ton dually

1231ChaseB

I have a 1 ton chevy dually and have all the truck i need for my fifth wheel but i do wonder if adding air bags would help smooth out the rough roads we travel ?
chaseb

blong

We tired our GMC Dually without them and it was a little rough and swatted a lot. Added Firestone Ride Rite, huge difference in comfort and we can now level it out. Originally ordered Air lift bags, but they were not (no drill) as advertised for our yr/model Truck so we exchanged them for the Firestones, also added Air One wireless compressor and it is great to be able to change up the pressure on the fly. 5th Airborne pin box addition also helped remove the chucking we experienced.

Jim.Allison

I bought AirLift 5000 with internal jounce, the internal jounce pad was major consideration then price. In my application it was required that I remove the jounce pad to install airbags, so I installed the internal jounce airbags. Which is useless unless you are taking out your jounce pads for your installation. I dont know if Firestone has the feature or not. But in my opinion all things being equal, it comes to price, and brand identification, and what you feel comfortable with. 15 to 25 lbs is all it takes to level me up and 10 lbs unloaded smooth out my TV when not towing. Air bag manufacturers recommend some positive pressure in the airbag at all times to prevent damage to the airbag, so you will always have 5 to 10 lbs. You will be surprised.

1231ChaseB

Thanks for the replys ! I do have the Trailer Saver air bag hitch but boy these roads are sometimes brutal !
chaseb

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've often thought about adding them to BART but not so much to improve the ride while towing but more for unloaded use. On my old 2500HD they improved the ride considerably.

porthole

Retired
Ray, I found the same when I put them on the GMC. That 3-5 psi was just enough to make the road smoother empty. Especially with the Airlft bags, which compared to the firestone had a larger diameter. Larger diameter = less pressure for a given load.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I've often thought about adding them to BART but not so much to improve the ride while towing but more for unloaded use. On my old 2500HD they improved the ride considerably.

Ray, we have the same truck. I would sure like the loaded and unloaded ride to be smoother, and have considered them for that purpose. Glad to know I wasn't off track.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Did not notice much in the way of improvement when the truck was unloaded. But we new the difference in the first mile down the road when hitched and loaded.