Flipped bathroom door

Sans1

On my 2014 Torque 291, the first thing my wife noticed was the way the door opened over the steps. She was concerned someone would fall coming out of the bathroom. I must admit the first time I was packing and putting things into the bathroom, I did take both steps at the same time because I almost fell down them turning around too quickly after putting stuff in the medicine cabinet.The first time out camping, in order to get from the bedroom into the bathroom, you had to step down, open the door then step up. Since stairs of any kind are hard for my wife, this just wasn’t practical. After careful examination, I could see no reason not to just flip the door. The spacing was the same at the bottom and the top and the only holes in the door trim were for the hinge screws and the door catch. It was a ten minute job. I just had to drill hole for the door catch with a spade bit. Looks good and now you can easily access it from the bedroom without stepping up and down. The only drawback I see is if you wanted an emergency potty stop, you’d have to open the front about 4 inches to open the bathroom door.

Attachments

• door1.jpg
    door1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 267
  • door2.jpg
    door2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 233
  • door3.jpg
    door3.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 218

happykraut

When we ordered our BH 3010RE we had the factory install the door to where it would open to the left. On the 3010's I believe this is the way they are now being installed.

porthole

Retired
Since our Cyclone has pocket doors, I can't picture this. Your pictures, are they before or after?

Sans1

These are 'After' shots, this is the door to the bathroom. The pocket door at he back of the image is to the bedroom, I slid it closed because the bright light was washing out the image. As you look at the picture on the far left of the images, the door was hinged on the bedroom side of the bathroom wall (the wall on the right side of he image), now the hinge is on the living room side. In the original position, you could not walk around the door to get into the bathroom because the upper landing is narrower in the bedroom. You actually had step down then open the door to get inside. See I the crude sketch helps. The red line indicates the bathroom door, he thin blue lines near the bottom represent the stairs.

Attachments

• floorplan.jpg
    floorplan.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 121

Cjackg

Seems about the same layout as a Cyclone 3110... will take a look at ours to see if it will work.

Mrsfish

We have an early 2014 3010re whose door opened toward the stairs. We flipped it this winter to open toward the bedroom and it was just that- a flip. Swapped the door frames one side to the other. We knew it was only a matter of time before one of us fell down the stairs going into the bathroom at night. The factory flipped them pretty early on after we had bought ours - it was pretty apparent of the danger.

porthole

Retired
Makes sense now. Pocket doors eliminate that issue, but add to the complexity. Although, most of the current trailers I have seen, even the high end Landmarks, have gone to pocket doors that are not enclosed, nothing more then sliding barn doors.

Our Cyclone has 3 "real" pocket doors. They do take up a little extra space, but given the choice between exposed sliders or real pockets, I would vote for the real thing.

Last edited:

Mandlit

I noticed the same thing about the main bath door on our 325SS. So flipped the door over and moved the latch hardware to opposite side. Now we have access to our bathroom from top of stairs right as it should be. The second bath in garage is perfect for all other use and is a relief life saver. have a great day enjoy the seasons...

sengli

We just took the bedroom, and bathroom doors completely off. It opened up the landing area and hallway area big time. DW installed a curtain in the bathroom doorway, when privacy is needed.