Towing with a Tacoma

AllenG

Hi
I am new to forums so I may be a little slow.
I am looking at a 2011 Heartland Edge and would like to tow with a 2012 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 double cab. The dry weight is shown is 3487 pounds, is this going to work for towing or am I going to be bogged down when traveling?
Toyota says 6500 towing capacity, does anyone have this type of trailer towing it with a Tacoma?
AllenG

branson4020

Icantre Member
My Son-in-law tows about 4500 lbs of boat behind that exact truck. Seems to have plenty of power and handle the weight OK.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
AllenG, you need to look at the loaded weight of the trailer, not the unloaded or dry weight. The dry weight is unattainable in the real world and you certainly won't tow the trailer at that weight.

frano

I had that exact setup with a 2012 Edge and Tacoma DC 4X4 V6 with tow package. Great truck, towed with plenty of power, but had a few issues on windy days at turnpike speeds and when passing/being passed by tractor trailers. If you are aware of this and can avoid the situations, that combination will serve you well for many years.

shurack24

we pulled a, well, "SOB" travel trailer with a Tacoma prior to purchasing our fiver. Our travel trailer had about the same dry weight and loaded was at about 4700. The Tacoma handled that "ok" on flat roads and didnt sag too much after we added a Helwig add-a-leaf helper spring. But I will tell you that there is not enough power to pull 5000 lbs up any sort of hill; forget about that 6500 lbs number. It will depend where you live and where you travel; if you are in relative flat-lands you will be ok, but if you significant hills where you live/travle, will be another thing.
As long as you are extra careful, you will be "ok", but you will not necessarily be "happy" when you get where you are going.
Pulling our 15,000 lb Gateway with our F350, we arrive much more relaxed and rested than when we were pulling our little 4,000 lb trailer with the Tacoma. The Tacoma is a GREAT little truck, but it's tow limits are somewhat restrictive. By all means, it sounds like a very similiar setup to what we had, so go out and enjoy, just understand (IMO) you will be pushing the limits of the truck.