Honestly - this mattress

Davisnmn

So I'm laying here with my wife in our 2014 3500 RE thinking to myself, how could "they" not know just how bad this mattress is. I mean every camper mattress, advertised as luxury or otherwise has been a total piece of junk not fit for a nights rest. So here it is boys, take this opportunity to distinguish yourselves in the industry by putting an actual mattress of quality in a camper. Maybe if those who design campers were made to live in one for a year before pumping these bad boys out there would be a few key changes made. In all these are clearly the mattresses the accountants had you put in right?

Davisnmn

Hello Dane, and thank you. I'll have to give both a look. One blessing in disguise is that the bed in our camper is a 60x80 standard queen, we have been considering a gel infused natural latex mattress from Bobs discount furniture (a popular furniture outlet here in CT... An ever growing desire as my wife and I lay here with our foreheads pressed together in the center of our current mattress ;)

GOTTOYS

If we ever buy another new trailer, I'm leaving the mattress at the selling dealer. Then I won't have to pay to dispose of the piece of junk..I would think they could afford to supply something a little better for a mattress...It's like the tires they come with delivery and display only...Don

Davisnmn

Don, I started out reading your reply and thinking something to the tune of AHMEN BROTHER but then I got to the end and though ahh heck what don't I know about these tires! We are currently seasonal campers in ct and only leave our campground about once maybe twice a year and... due to this apparent on set of camper upgrade madness no one warned us would come we've owned two new campers in 3 years so we don't really have too much run time on a single set of camper tires so when you compare camper tires to my arch enemy "the camper mattress" 4 day before I kick off an 1100 mile trip I'm thinking DON - in small words... what do I need to know man!

Curt_Hinson

I am not that knowledgeable about mattresses as to which one is more comfortable than another. I do know that an option on my sequoia was actually a downgrade from a king to a queen. A queen would actually fit in the space and allow you to make the bed. The king that I have is too tight, is very difficult to make and forms a lump in the middle of the bed. I am too old to crawl over lumps. I would change the mattress to something better in a heartbeat, but the better half says no way will we get rid of that mattress. I think she likes that lump in the middle, says it gives her a good night's sleep. :eek:

Curt

donr827

I have always put a 2" mattress topper on my rvs. Have moved it from one rv to another. It makes the mattress so much more comfortable........Don

Birchwood

We replaced the mattress in our Landmark after a year with a residential queen size.Cut down our bed frame from King size.

Sunset4k

Welcome Davison!! I had to laugh when I read the part about you and your wife laying in the middle of the mattress because that's exactly what we did our first night out in our Elkridge!!! The mattress was simply terrible. We went to Walmart and bought a foam topper the next day.. Then bought another foam topper the next day... Even with two foam toppers the mattress was still awful. Long story but over time I realized that c we didn't even get the "luxury" Heartland mattress advertised but $50 Walmart mattress. Once I brought this to Heartland' s attention, they shipped me the Heartland "" luxury " mattress. Which promptly put both foam toppers on. It is bearable now. Hope your monitoring this thread Heartland!!! I would have gladly paid more up front for a better mattress!!!

On another note, hope you enjoy the forum... Lots of great folks here!!

ILH

We replaced the queen mattress this week. I was getting sore hips from the springs! We picked up a firm residential mattress from a discount mattress store for $369. You don't have to spend a fortune.

porthole

Retired
Maybe if those who design campers were made to live in one for a year before pumping these bad boys out there would be a few key changes made.

There are very few actual "RV'ers" throughout the industry of designing, building and selling.
IIRC there is one upper level Heartland employee (excluding JB) that actually goes camping, albeit only once a year though, in a borrowed unit.

jimpav

Perhaps the next National rally will have a special on the "Denver" mattress???? I wonder if they(Denver) are worth the cost??????

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Perhaps the next National rally will have a special on the "Denver" mattress???? I wonder if they(Denver) are worth the cost??????

I believe lippert has Denver mattress or am I confused? I know the lci booth across from my spot had a mattress they were demoing for everyone.

danemayer

I wonder if any one mattress would find wide acceptance. Every time I've ever been in a mattress store, they've had dozens of different mattresses and most were at best so-so. Of course the insanely expensive mattresses usually feel pretty good. Maybe that's the answer.

Grey Ghost

Hey Davisnmn, I don't know if Don every got to you about those tires or not, so I thought I would just in case. If you have towmax tires on your rig, please change them out prior to taking any long trip. Towmax PowerKing tires have caused more damage to units on the road than anything else and the company will NOT stand behind their product. I changed mine out after a $1,800 accident. Tire blew and tore the He-- out of my 5ver. I took off the TowMax tires and put Michelin M/S Light Truck tires on my 5ver. Much more confident now! Hope you find this helpful!!
Don, I started out reading your reply and thinking something to the tune of AHMEN BROTHER but then I got to the end and though ahh heck what don't I know about these tires! We are currently seasonal campers in ct and only leave our campground about once maybe twice a year and... due to this apparent on set of camper upgrade madness no one warned us would come we've owned two new campers in 3 years so we don't really have too much run time on a single set of camper tires so when you compare camper tires to my arch enemy "the camper mattress" 4 day before I kick off an 1100 mile trip I'm thinking DON - in small words... what do I need to know man!

JanAndBill

We ended up getting a 3" memory foam mattress topper, and now ours is very comfy

The only memory that Memory Foam has for me is the location of where my big rear end resided the night before. Seems like every time we tried them, I've ended up with sore hips from residing on the bed support. Lucked out and found a new RV King in the plastic, top of the line Serta full innerspring mattress at a discount place. It had come in on a shipment and they didn't have a clue what to do with it. Bought it for $150 and haven't regretted a single night since.