Tow rating fraud

scottyb

I'm not really too bothered by a few lbs here and there, between steel vs aluminum wheels, w/wo a bumper. What really bothers me is when one manufacturer jumps it's towing capacity by 30% from one model year to the next while keeping the same footprint and the similar curb weight. All this is done theoretically by remapping the HP and Torque, and making a few structural improvements. It's all about tow vehicle to trailer weight ratios. For example, one year they claim that their 8K pickup can tow 21.5K and the next year their 8K pickup can tow 30K. Seems like a quantum leap to me.

mzcummins

Really? I think it's more then a few ibs, a spare tire is more then 100 ibs, bumpers can't be that light and to go as far as removing interior pieces to fudge the numbers is wrong I don't care what manufacturer is doing it.

I assume you are talking about Ram, don't see how you are bothered by a company r&d and advancing a truck but not by one cheating.

scottyb

Really? I think it's more then a few ibs, a spare tire is more then 100 ibs, bumpers can't be that light and to go as far as removing interior pieces to fudge the numbers is wrong I don't care what manufacturer is doing it.

I assume you are talking about Ram, don't see how you are bothered by a company r&d and advancing a truck but not by one cheating.

I didn't say I agree with it. Cheating is cheating and there are many ways to do it. My comment that a few lbs, even if it is a couple hundred lbs, does not concern me as much as pencil whipping 8500 lbs from one MY to the next. As a former heavy equipment truck driver, the thought of towing 30K with a pickup is just ludicrous. However, you can be assured that they will all follow suit.

Westwind

I agree with the lying or cheating or whatever you want to call it. All three manufacturer's are guilty of it. If a jar holding something weighs 5 lbs with a cap you don't weigh it without the cap! It's nuts the logic they use. Give me the real numbers - and If we have to get "Consumer Reports to do I - Lets ask them".

caissiel

Just by improving the cooling system can improve the towing capacity. It's been done many times by all 3 for years.

Bohemian

It makes no sense. How would they lie. They have to reveal their methods to be lying. They could lie about the standard rating they just adopted, but it's impossible to lie about the proprietary methods they previously used.

caissiel

But F450 can be sold with no spare, box and bumper. One time a spare and bumper was optional on pickups. Might still be on heavy SDs.

DW_Gray

When it's revealed that manufacturers fudge the weights, that's all the more reason to use the Before You Buy RV app found at http://BYBRV.com.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

I'm not really too bothered by a few lbs here and there, between steel vs aluminum wheels, w/wo a bumper. What really bothers me is when one manufacturer jumps it's towing capacity by 30% from one model year to the next while keeping the same footprint and the similar curb weight. All this is done theoretically by remapping the HP and Torque, and making a few structural improvements. It's all about tow vehicle to trailer weight ratios. For example, one year they claim that their 8K pickup can tow 21.5K and the next year their 8K pickup can tow 30K. Seems like a quantum leap to me.

Don't think the tow vehicle to trailer ratio is the problem. Using the 8K/30k scenario that's only 3.75. An over the road tractor is roughly 4.0 to 4.25. What I see as the MAJOR difference is the experience level and qualifications of the drivers that will be using these vehicles.