Cyclone 3950 Toyhauler dimensions

My family and I are considering full timing in a fifth wheel. We like the layout of the 3950 and we are thinking about purchasing one. I have one primary concern before we buy.

The size is listed as 40' 11" and the width is 101". According to this website,

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

many states have length limits of 40'. Is the size of this rig a problem with regard to state trailer length laws? Is there any way to take this rig legally into these states (such as purchasing a permit)?

Am I reading the laws correctly?

It seems like it would benefit Heartland to shave 11" off the size of the rig, making it legal to drive in all 50 states (if it is in fact illegal).

Any guidance anyone could provide would be most appreciated. We love the rig, but we won't buy it if it can't be legally driven in all the states that list 40' as the length limit.

Thanks,

Fulltimer Wannabe

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
3950 Length

Gimme a week or so and I can give you the measurement of mine! :D I've been wondering the length, too.

cliffhanger

Don't forget that you have approx 3ft hanging over your bed when your towing. So the net length is shorter than 40ft.

woodenit

The length their talking about is for a Trailer not a 5er. Pay attention to the combined length when hooked up.
TJ

pslincs

Fulltimer Wannabee, you are correct, the states go by the trailer length, not if its a 5th wheel, or it its hooked to a tow vehicle. I live in CA where the law says RV trailers are to be no longer than 40', a combined length of 65' with a tow vehicle and 75' in a combination of two trailers (brakes on both trailers). I too have a 3950, was concerned about the extra length. Looks like alot of states have the similiar rule of 40'. I bought in CA, I figured, A, I do not go through Commercial Scales and B, if Heartland is selling the trailer through legal CA dealer networks, then maybe they know something I do not. Maybe since its has a "garage" its not classified as a RV, because in CA, and most states, a trailer can go 57' or longer as long as the combined length of the tow vehicle and trailer do not exceed (CA is 75' in most situations) the state lengths. Hope this helps, just remember alot of states, including CA have different laws on your license for pulling these heavy trailers. You might need a written test and or a driving test with an "RV" DMV physical to pull the heavy Cyclone. Just double check your state laws, I would't go asking anyone at your DMV, because you will get 5 different answers as well as your RV dealer too. A good place would be your commercial division of your state highway patrol.....hope this helps....

blackfin

I measured my 09-3950 to have a custom cover made nose-to-tail 43'. My question is my title states 39' how is the factory measuring the trailers for title purposes? Also, why is the actual dry weight of the trailers exceeding listed values? I understand add on etc..