My 1/2 Ton Can Pull It

JanAndBill

du3y8a3e.jpg

Thankfully the elderly couple in this rig suffered only a few bruises. They were in the right lane and made contact with a car in the left lane. Driver of the rig swerved to the right then over corrected causing the trailer to swerve and tip dragging the truck with it. Picture doesn't show the real damage. When they righted it the 5th wheel is pretty much totaled and likely the truck will be as well.

JanAndBill

Well, 99% of the time it can.

LOL that's the truth, it's that 1% of the time you have to worry about. Didn't see the accident, I was toned out and arrived on the scene shortly after it happened, people were already out of the vehicle by that time. Based on driver and witness statements I guess it's debatable if a heavy duty truck would have survived. I've been in situations where rapid lane changes were required and I know from experience the suspension on my F350 handles the sway a lot better than my F150. Had a good look at the bottom of his brand new truck, and all it had were the stock leaf springs.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It's a double header today. I just posted a similar accident involving an F-250 pulling a TT.

Aspenwind

Happy Camper
This X-Terra did fine 99% of the time. I didn't appreciate the hour wait behind his 1% though. I'm pretty sure that trailer is going to be over his 5K tow rating.

20140703_152213[1].jpg

ILH

It's nice that they were able to get their lawn chairs out and enjoy the scenery. :p

JanAndBill

It's nice that they were able to get their lawn chairs out and enjoy the scenery. :p

LOL, yeah they were apparently in the back of the truck. It was an couple in their mid 70's, it was hot and that was the only shade around. That's where we found them when we pulled up on the scene. They were actually pretty laid back, considering they had just had an accident and had climbed (unassisted) out of the driver's door.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I could tell you a years worth of "accidents do happen" stories. With that being said, I often get comments on my F350, even in these forums, " you think you have enough truck to pull that trailer?" Why yes, yes I do. I am glad they were both ok and sincerely hope they learned from this "mistake".