Water Softener placement

JHWilson2

We just purchased a water softener for our new RV since we're now in Indiana with HARD water. We are in our rig most of the year, and in the past, have built a heated storage box for our old unit every winter because the basement wasn't big enough. However, our new Big Horn 3010RE has a big enough basement that we've thought about keeping it in the basement during the winter and drilling a hole between the basement and water compartment big enough for the water lines. Has anyone had experience with this setup, or does anyone have any good ideas on how to keep it from freezing when the temps drop?

Garypowell

I put our filter system in a Rubbermaid container and when it gets cold I have a very cheap drop light that I put inside with a 60 watt bulb.....does the trick.

I hang another one in the UDC to keep it warm in there.

jbeletti

...we've thought about keeping it in the basement during the winter and drilling a hole between the basement and water compartment big enough for the water lines. Has anyone had experience with this setup, or does anyone have any good ideas on how to keep it from freezing when the temps drop?

Yes, in one of my coaches, I installed my two-stage water filtration setup and a water softener, all in a plastic tote. I drilled 2 large holes in the side wall of the UDC into the storage bay to run the in and out lines.

This setup worked well, though I had to disconnect (used quick couplers) whenever I wanted to remove the plastic tote - though I rarely removed it.