Prospective buyer of 2012 32BUDS with ? about tow vehicle

Kls1973

We are thinking of purchasing a 2012 North Trail 32BUDS TT and would be towing with a 2010 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4wd Z71 pkg. it is a 5.3L V8 with 6 spd auto tranny and 3.42 rears. Does anyone have any feedback on the capability of towing with this vehicle? Also we will be using an Equal-I-zer sway control hitch. TIA...

Kristi

Manzan

I don't know the tow rating is for your vehicle but I think it is a good bit less than the gvwr of your trailer. 8600 lbs. My Suburban, 4x4, 6 liter engine and 373 rear end has a maximum of a little over 7000 lbs. Gvwr of my 21fbs is 6900 and last time weighed, was at 6500 with full water tank, full propane tanks and loaded for a couple of weeks of travel. You can't go by the empty weight published in part because it does not show any additions which would be included in weight shown on the side of the trailer as it went out the door. Many trailers end up being overloaded even with careful loading. If you did not leave Kansas and try to go over some mountains, you might be OK but I sure would not try it.

Kls1973

I don't know the tow rating is for your vehicle but I think it is a good bit less than the gvwr of your trailer. 8600 lbs. My Suburban, 4x4, 6 liter engine and 373 rear end has a maximum of a little over 7000 lbs. Gvwr of my 21fbs is 6900 and last time weighed, was at 6500 with full water tank, full propane tanks and loaded for a couple of weeks of travel. You can't go by the empty weight published in part because it does not show any additions which would be included in weight shown on the side of the trailer as it went out the door. Many trailers end up being overloaded even with careful loading. If you did not leave Kansas and try to go over some mountains, you might be OK but I sure would not try it.
Thank you for your answer. According to GMC the tow rating is 9500 for my vehicle. I am just curious if anyone is towing with a similarly equipped vehicle what their experiences are.

smp2000

I have the same trailer but a 2013 and I think you may be a bit under powered. Your truck may pull it rating wise but you may end up killing the tranny in the long run...

Jim.Allison

Check your owners manual, what ever you are over on the GCVRW = the abuse if any. Get your transmission serviced, oil changed and grease anything you can. Check u-joints. Pull in tow haul mode if you have it, I'm sure the 6 speed has it.. Make sure your level. If you have time I would install a transmission oil cooler. Tow at 60 to 65 like the rest of us do and you will probably find that you are ok. But if I were to direct your attention to one thing......make sure that you have not changed the load capacity of that truck by putting different tires on it. Bigger badder cooler tires do not mean the right tires or better tires. Check the actual sidewall on the tire for single tire load rating and inflation. If that does not comport with what you are towing then make it right, or you will lose a tire, before you get going. HEAT kills batteries, tires, and transmissions. Chevy does not make a cheesy transmission and never has. Good luck.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Here's a retired GM tech's take on this. The bad thing is the 3:43 gears (small diff), not sure if it is a 10 or 12 bolt. It will be a power killer on hills. A 5.3 is basicly a 327/330 CI. Meaning it needs lots of RPM's to make power. A 1/2 ton does not really have big enough brakes...another problem. Engine/trans cooling can be another issue. Fuel mileage will be OK on flat land....on hills it will suck.

Will it pull it...yes. Will it stop it...maybe. Will it over time do damage to the trucks running gear....probably. Not trying to pop your bubble, but you need a different truck or at least a 2011 or newer 2500HD with the 6.0 or 6.2 gas engine. The Duramax/Allison would be great. You could upgrade your truck without buying a new one. JMHO

JeremyN

I have a 2011 North Trail 28BRS and I used to tow it with a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab short box. It had the 5.3L engine with the 3.73 rear end. The truck pulled the trailer OK. Since most of our camping trips are close to home (within a 1/2 hour drive), i wasn't too concerned about it. But my wife and I quickly started talking about pulling the trailer further distances. I immediately said that I needed a new truck then.

We upgraded to a 2007 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab with the 6.0L engine. All I can say is, man what a difference. My truck doesn't get great gas mileage while pulling (9.0 or 9.5 mpg while pulling), but that doesn't matter to me. I love the bigger suspension and brakes. I can't tell you how much of a difference that makes when you are pulling.

Moral of my story, you can probably get away with pulling that trailer with your 1500, but you will feel much safer in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck!

pegmikef

Not a GM product, but the same idea. After I towed my North Trail 26LRSS (lighter and shorter than yours) for a couple of months with an F150, I traded up to an F250 Diesell for the same reasons others have stated.