Power Control System used on some 3 AC coaches

jbeletti

In 2014, Heartland began offering an option on some of our brands and floor plans for a 3rd Air Conditioner. In some cases, we're installing a device that helps manage the electrical load (load shedding) based on the level of power available to the coach.

We are using a Power Control System by Precision Circuits, Inc. The system consists of:
1. A 50 amp Panel Board
2. A Central Monitor Panel

The OEM (Heartland) does the initial programming of the system, naming the circuits and determining load priorities. Then the program is loaded from a PC into the system.

I've attached a brochure on the product. It will better explain what the system is and how it works. Here's a link to the company's product page.

What I do not know is what our load priorities are and whether we will provide a custom program for buyers.

Attachments

• 0010020000PowerControlBrochure080507.pdf
    76.5 KB · Views: 94

porthole

Retired
Jim, the scuttlebutt from both Andy and Tom conveyed this was a new standard item on the 365, not just with 3 AC's

But, if this is the model being offered it opens up whole other set of possibilities, not only load shedding, but load sharing with inverters.

So the next questions would be, which Magnum inverters does this support?

It would appear that a EMS similar to but with less features of the Progressive EMS is still needed.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Duane,

Earlier today, I sent a note to the plant with several questions about this product, when we use it, programming etc. I'll share anything I can when I hear back.

jbeletti

Okay - here's what I learned on our use of the Precision Circuits, Inc, Power Control System (PCS):

Q. Under what circumstances do we install a PCS?
A. It is now standard on all Landmark 365 Floor Plans

Q. Who does the initial programming of the system (load names, load priority etc.)?
A. Heartland does

Q. Can retail customers give us a special priority list for us to do initial programming?
A. No.

Q. Can dealers do reprogramming?
A. Not at this time

Q. Can retail customers, with the software and dongle, do their own reprogramming?
A. Not at this time

Ladiver

Hmm, I like what I am seeing. Maybe this can be an add-on after the fact? I will be watching intently. Granted we just did 5 day dry camping and were fine with only running 2 a/c's in 90+.

jbeletti

Hmm, I like what I am seeing. Maybe this can be an add-on after the fact? I will be watching intently. Granted we just did 5 day dry camping and were fine with only running 2 a/c's in 90+.

I'd say if you are en electrician or super comfortable with this sort of thing, you may be able to change out your AC panel to this one. The trouble will be programming it. Not sure if Precision Circuits will supply you with the Windows program and programming dongle to do your own initial programming of the system.

porthole

Retired
The software is listed on their site. Don't see why it wouldn't be available. I have software to program everything from my scanners, two way radios, golf cart controllers to my motorcycle.

The device is very interesting, and I can see real secondary market for it.

Having one in the Cyclone would solve the hair dryer issue :)

Bohemian

Some companies ,like to keep rigid control of their products. Some for technical reasons. Some purely for marketing reasons. Some to make sure you pay for each and every change.

porthole

Retired
I could have used this panel tonight. Just came in from resetting the breaker. Only 30 here at the PA rally and ............... well lets just say manual load shedding is in play.

Duane
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jbeletti

There are now three documents in HOM (Heartland Owners Manuals) for the Precision Circuits - Power Control System, now used in all Landmark 365 products.

This product at its heart, juggles the AC power loads based on the available AC power (20 amp, 30 amp or 50 amp) versus the power load being used in the RV at any given time. That is to say, the device will automatically shed certain loads, in a certain order, based on how Heartland has wired and programmed the system.

The latest document to be loaded (being done tonight) is an example programming sheet, showing how, in this case, a Landmark 365 Newport was programmed. What's most significant to note here, for those who have a Landmark 365 product is, what the sheddable loads are and what order they will be shed in order to allow other power demands to be served.

Below is an excerpt for the Example Programming Sheet
Load Shed Table.jpg

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
Is there any way to eliminate one of the circuits from being shed. We have no plans of adding a washer/dryer to our Ashland. As a result, that closet is perfect place for my wireless router. I want to eliminate that circuit because my router needs priority and will never pull enough amps to worry about in a shedding scheme. Is there a trigger wire on the relay that I can pull?

danemayer

Is there any way to eliminate one of the circuits from being shed. We have no plans of adding a washer/dryer to our Ashland. As a result, that closet is perfect place for my wireless router. I want to eliminate that circuit because my router needs priority and will never pull enough amps to worry about in a shedding scheme. Is there a trigger wire on the relay that I can pull?

I don't think I'd disconnect wires since the results at the controller might be unpredictable. It might be easier to swap the wire going into that circuit breaker with another circuit that is on a breaker that's not controlled and is less critical. On the other hand, I'm not sure what other circuit I would want to shed instead of the washer/dryer. The remaining ones not being managed are probably outlet circuits that are in use.

Maybe you could pick up 12V from a light fixture and use that to run the router.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
I don't think I'd disconnect wires since the results at the controller might be unpredictable. It might be easier to swap the wire going into that circuit breaker with another circuit that is on a breaker that's not controlled and is less critical. On the other hand, I'm not sure what other circuit I would want to shed instead of the washer/dryer. The remaining ones not being managed are probably outlet circuits that are in use.

Maybe you could pick up 12V from a light fixture and use that to run the router.

Dan - that is a great idea on using 12 volts. It is so good I am going to redo my router in my Ashland and wire it to 12 volts using a car adapter. With this setup you can run the router off the batteries when you are doing a Walmart stay over or other places where AC is not available.