Status
Not open for further replies.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders

Venue:
------------------------------

Details:
  • Site fee: daily $; tow vehicle must have daily pass or yearly pass per night.
  • Club Member Event fee:N/A
  • Non-Club Member fee: $20
  • Cook-out: Yes
  • Cook-out date: 9/20/2014 (Saturday)
  • Cook-out time: 6:00pm between Don/Monica and Ronn/Sarah sites

• Event Leader: monica-don(click to contact)
  • A more detailed itinerary is available, contact Monica for a copy

Additional Info:
This was originally a campout, it has been changed to a rally :) you can still access the "campout" event page by clicking here.
Make your reservations for the Lakeview Campground, it has full hookups.
Directions: Take I-70 to Rifle exit (90), go north on Hwy 13 for 4 miles. This takes you through the town of Rifle on Railroad Ave. When the road comes to a "Y" stay to the right on HWY 13 for several miles. Turn right onto HWY 325, Rifle Gap S.P. will be about 6 miles further, entrance on the left.

**For those of you coming early there will be a campfire @ Monica & Don's site Thursday evening around dusk (Sept18). Bring a chair and your favorite beverage.
**Come to Monica & Don's site Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings starting at 9am for a chat and a cup of coffee. Find out what other's will be doing for the day.
**Friday 5pm Fish-fry @ Ronn/Sarah's site; bring your own fish OR Ronn/Sarah will supply the fish for $, contact Ronn. Also bring your own plate, utensils and a side dish to share.
**Friday evening after fish-fry we will have a "wine-tasting". If you are interested please bring a bottle of your favorite wine to share.
**On Saturday evening there will be "the making of s'mores" at Ronn and Sarah's site after our cookout (their site is right next to Monica & Don's).
**There will be "excursions" to Rifle Falls, Glenwood Springs and Palisade, carpooling will be encouraged:cool:. Palisade is hosting the Colorado Mountain Wine Fest Sept 18-21, check out their web site for details.
**We will have a 50/50 raffle, winner must be present.
**We will have a "star party" on one or more nights...depending on cloud cover...thanks to our resident astronomer (Don):)

***Don't forget to bring firewood...as long as it's from "instate"

Attendees & Site #/arrive & depart
1) Monica & Don (chapter leaders) 27 Thur-Tue
2) Ronn & Sarah (wagon master) 28 Thur-Sun
3) Craig & Tena 23 Thur-Mon
4) Roy & Kaia 15
5) Bill & DeAnna (25) Mon-Tue
6) Mike & Luci 32 Thur-Sun
7) Lou & Marilyn 26 Thur-Tue
8) Steve & Susan 24
9) Bill & Ingrid 29
10) Terry & June 53 Thur-Wed :)Arizona members:)
11) John & Cathy 54 Thur-Tue
12) Gregg & Linda 20 Sat-Mon
13) Brian & Jan 16 Thur-Mon
14) Phil & Mary 17

Last edited:

StarryNight

Thank you Ronn & Sarah for doing the fish-fry Friday night...what a great idea!
I'll bring the baked potatoes for everyone plus butter/margarine & sour cream....I may even attempt a cobbler in my Dutch oven for dessert:)

8amps

Hi all,
We just made a reservation for Rally in Rifle Gap. We're in 17. If things go according to plan (cough, cough), we will be off on our cross country adventure after leaving Rifle. Looking forward to seeing you all!
Mary & Phil

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We'll be heading up there three weeks from tomorrow!

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnD

One week away now . . .

Who here is fired up for the event?

I am so ready to get out of town with our trailer that it is beyond imaginable!

I'm bringing the beer!

Chatter, everyone . . . !

JohnD

One week from this minute we'll be on I-70 headed west from Denver toward Rifle, Colorado . . .

With three of our seven Mainecoone cats in tow . . .

The countdown has begun . . .

CampinKitties-P9020527.jpg Campout2012Kitchen-PC270045.jpg Campout2012SpicyChecksEmail-PC260023.jpg Campout2012Spicy-PC270042.jpg

StarryNight

Just a reminder to all heading for the rally...check with CDOT if you plan on heading west on I-70. They are doing a bit of blasting near Idaho Springs/Twin Tunnels and also re-routing traffic along the highway.

See you all soon! Drive safe,
Monica

JohnD

I usually cut though Golden and take Highway 6 to Idaho Springs so I can miss Floyd Hill.

I think that will get me past the Twin Tunnels . . .

StarryNight

What a great rally!!! Rifle Gap State Park is a beautiful park! Even getting caught in a rain storm was fun!
All attendees had a wonderful time, restful yet "busy" with all that can be done & seen in the area.
The fish-fry, cookout, breakfast, and the Broncos party kept everyone in touch. Campfires were nice...what a great view of the night sky!!
Next time I hope to visit the "ice cave"....and there will be a next time:)
Thanks to all who attended, memories were made.

Monica & Don

JohnD

We just got home around 5:30 p.m. . . .

Funny, dodged the rain storms all the way home, but the second we pulled up in front of our house, the clouds let loose and we had to wait about 15 minutes before we could get out of the truck!

Free truck wash (NOT . . . just got back from blasting the the mud off of the truck)!

We had a blast . . . can't wait for the next one!

Now . . . back to reality . . . have to be to work at 8:45 a.m. in the morning.

MTPockets

Monica & Don, you are great leaders and hosts for yet another fine Colorado Camp-out. Other than the rain storm, we had to brave those 80'ish temps in the warm sun and enjoy the breakfast hour(s) every morning with hot coffee and banana bread. Not to mention the camp fires each night, cook out and embibements. The Colorado group is a bunch of fine folks..... Thanks for the hospitality! And Good Time. Terry & June P.S.... Need to mention Ronn & Sara for the Fish Fry and the Great Smoooooores!..... Ummmmmmmmmm ..... Thanks!

JohnD

Will post photos here shortly (or a least a link to a new post where they will be) . . . and also Cathy's Crock Pot Lasagna recipe!

If anyone else have any shots they'd like to share, post them here as well!

Last edited:

JohnD

Will post photos here shortly (or a least a link to a new post where they will be) . . . and also Cathy's Crock Pot Lasagna recipe!

If anyone else have any shots they'd like to share, post them here as well!

I'm sorry that I haven't gotten the photos posted here yet . . . but I will very soon!

(Too much beer & whiskey . . . and not enough Fireball!) :p

In the mean time, here is Cathy's Crock Pot Lasagna that we all enjoyed at the Rifle Rally:

Cathy Daniels' Crockpot Lasagna

Ingredients
1 pound Italian Sausage (or Ground Beef)
Lasagna Noodles, uncooked (1 box of wheat or regular)
2 (15 oz.) jars of Alfredo Sauce (or Spaghetti Sauce)
Italian Seasoning (season to taste)
8 oz. of fresh Mushrooms, sliced (could substitute other fresh vegetables)
1 ½ cups Cottage Cheese
1 ½ cups Mozzarella Cheese
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan Cheese
Directions
Brown italian sausage and drain. Spoon 1 c. of alfredo sauce in bottom of a 4 quart crock pot, sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Mix remaining sauce in with the browned sausage. Place uncooked noodles in bottom of crock pot (break to fit shape of crock pot and use small broken pieces to fill in) creating a layer on top of the sauce in the crock pot. Spread a layer of sliced mushrooms, 1/3 of the meat sauce, sprinkle in italian seasoning, ¾ c. of cottage cheese and ½ c. of mozzarella cheese. Add another layer of uncooked noodles, mushrooms, 1/3 of meat sauce, sprinkle with Italian seasoning, remaining cottage cheese and ½ c. of mozzarella cheese. Place another layer of uncooked noodles, sliced mushrooms, remaining meat mixture, sprinkle with Italian seasoning and remaining mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese over the top. Cook on low for 4 hours. If cooked much longer, it gets a bit well done.
*I used a liner in my crock pot which made clean up very easy!

Status
Not open for further replies.